Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A: What do you teach?
B: I teach SD.

C: I teach how to fight.

What's the difference between "teach SD" vs. "teach how to fight"?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B: I teach SD.

C: I teach how to fight.

What's the difference between "teach SD" vs. "teach how to fight"?
It depends how you look at it, I suppose. If "self-defense" is what happens when you're being physically attacked, then it's arguable you can't teach self-defense - rather, you're teaching the skills used during self-defense. I'm not sure if that makes sense - it's maybe just a philosophical distinction.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Situational awareness.
Deescalation.
Physical preparedness.
Mental preparedness.
Avoidance of high risk situations.
That is by no means a comprehensive list.

Thanks for the information.

I have taught MA all my life. Never realize that I have to teach those items. My MA teachers never taught me those. Are those modern stuff?

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My right knee (surgery knee) feels weird, king of like there is a metal thing under very tight skin
My left knee (future surgery knee) gave out and I'm wearing brace
and on top of that, I'm craving a grilled cheese sandwich

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The major concern around here is for unvaccinated people, and in particular kids who are under 12 and can't yet receive the vaccine. The issue here isn't supply. There are plenty of vaccines.

Some businesses are starting to take matters into their own hands. Heard one company is not mandating vaccines, but if you get COVID and are vaccinated, your sick leave is 100% compensated. If you get COVID and are unvaccinated, you are fired. I wonder how that will go over. :)
well, seeing that we have no worker protection.....
I don't see there is anything the unvaccinated can do about it.
They likely applauded those measures when it hit other people.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Talking with my family MD today about Covid (and what feels like my impending sinus infection) and the vaccine. He said that the vaccine is not a guarantee you will not get covid. However it has been about 96% effective at keeping people who get Covid, from ending up with a serious case or in the hospital. He was not at all surprised that my response to Covid was just a bad head cold.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
well, seeing that we have no worker protection.....
I don't see there is anything the unvaccinated can do about it.
They likely applauded those measures when it hit other people.
It's interesting to me how positions shift. A few years back, when States were passing no-smoking laws in bars and such, I said I was all for them because they would keep employees safe. The primary counter folks would argue is that the employer should get to decide, and if employees don't like it they could get a job elsewhere. No one, they would say, is forcing anyone to work in that bar.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

I have taught MA all my life. Never realize that I have to teach those items. My MA teachers never taught me those. Are those modern stuff?
I've been teaching those things for forty years. I consider them part of the Yin/Yang component of Martial Arts. The other part, obviously, is hard physical combat.

My first teachers never taught them to me, either. Which, in good part, is why I always taught them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My first teachers never taught them to me, either. Which, in good part, is why I always taught them.
I was not taught by my teachers. As far as I know, both my SC teacher and long fist teacher were not taught by their teachers either. This is why I ask, "Are those modern stuff?"

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was not taught by my teachers. As far as I know, both my SC teacher and long fist teacher were not taught by their teachers either. This is why I ask, "Are those modern stuff?"
I think they vaguely stem from Bushido. Or perhaps this American's understanding of Bushido, so I don't consider them modern.

How many teachers did you have? I loved having more than one teacher.

Latest Discussions