Last Poster #7

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting song was on the radio, when I got to my car, after I had my appointment with the MD who told me that I will likely end up with both knees and both hip replaced......

It's never on the radio
Xue, I get the impression you and I are not very far apart on our joint replacement journeys. I figure you already know this but most Ortho doctors one and only fix to a problem is to cut/replace. So I strongly encourage you to exhaust all alternatives before going down the Ortho road. I was able to go 15 years longer than the first time my Ortho said I needed knee replacements. Really longer since they wanted to do a replacement when my leg was first injured but there was not enough sound structure at the time to affix the replacement to.
A good muscle building plan, PT, a lot of other recovery stuff going on, in and honestly just being very busy helped delay the inevitable.
I say this only because it sounds like your doctor is scheduling a full lower body joint replacement before even doing the first replacement. I sincerely hope that is not the case.
To be clear, I am very happy with my first knee replacement, but the recovery is no walk in the park.
I only stopped working for 4-5 days and sedentary work only 1-2 days. I know this varies person to person but such is my life.
Last Friday I was driving one of our work trucks with a manual transmission. Clutching was no problem but when I set the parking brake something on the top, outside of my knee snapped/popped and the pain was excruciating, by far the worst pain I have felt since before the surgery. I just sat there for several minutes hoping it would subside and finally got someone to help me inside where I put the ice machine on. After a hour or so it eased up.
The next day I was climbing out of the skid steer and something in my mid-lower thigh did the same thing.
It had to be some kind of muscle strain or release since the pain subsided but make no mistake it hurts like hell and will really mess with you present plans. I can only assume the pain is greater since there is already significant trauma in the process of healing.
Not fun but just part it it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue, I get the impression you and I are not very far apart on our joint replacement journeys. I figure you already know this but most Ortho doctors one and only fix to a problem is to cut/replace. So I strongly encourage you to exhaust all alternatives before going down the Ortho road. I was able to go 15 years longer than the first time my Ortho said I needed knee replacements. Really longer since they wanted to do a replacement when my leg was first injured but there was not enough sound structure at the time to affix the replacement to.
A good muscle building plan, PT, a lot of other recovery stuff going on, in and honestly just being very busy helped delay the inevitable.
I say this only because it sounds like your doctor is scheduling a full lower body joint replacement before even doing the first replacement. I sincerely hope that is not the case.
To be clear, I am very happy with my first knee replacement, but the recovery is no walk in the park.
I only stopped working for 4-5 days and sedentary work only 1-2 days. I know this varies person to person but such is my life.
Last Friday I was driving one of our work trucks with a manual transmission. Clutching was no problem but when I set the parking brake something on the top, outside of my knee snapped/popped and the pain was excruciating, by far the worst pain I have felt since before the surgery. I just sat there for several minutes hoping it would subside and finally got someone to help me inside where I put the ice machine on. After a hour or so it eased up.
The next day I was climbing out of the skid steer and something in my mid-lower thigh did the same thing.
It had to be some kind of muscle strain or release since the pain subsided but make no mistake it hurts like hell and will really mess with you present plans. I can only assume the pain is greater since there is already significant trauma in the process of healing.
Not fun but just part it it.
Thank You, appreciated, but, I've been to 4 Orthopedic docs already.

He's not scheduling anything, he is telling me should I go joint replacement this is the order i should consider. Hip replacement was mentioned because of the deformity I currently have in the hip joint due to arthritis. I do not have plans to replace my hips at this time. Only the right knee. and if I am able to deal with that, then we will discuss the left, which by x ray is almost bone on bone

I have been dealing with knee and hip issues, that impact my day, on a regular basis for almost 10 years now. Tried strengthening, went to PT for hips and left knee, went to PT for the last meniscus repair (right knee) I went through 3 rounds of PT and there was little improvement. I currently have a permanent limp with the right leg and it will not straighten. I continue to do leg strengthening exercises, which do appear to make things better, for the most part, on the left knee, but not on the right. Also if I drive for more than 15 minutes, when I get out of the car, walking is a problem and last week I spent Tuesday and Wednesday walking with a cane.

As for martial arts training, it is not happening at the moment, and even taijiquan is hit and miss.

I am not taking this lightly and I am not jumping in trusting the doctor because he is a doctor. I was raised in a medical household, worked in a couple hospitals myself, and my wife is a doctor and she too is pushing for the replacement.

Believe me, the whole idea creeps me out because I know what they do. But at the moment, if I want my life back, and to be able to fulfill my current retirement plans, (which is about 5 or 6 years off), I do not have much choice at this point as it applies to the right knee, and very likely the left as well.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Made a couple of loaves of cinnamon swirl bread (aka cinnamon babka). One loaf went fast yesterday. My wife just made french toast with the other one. I'm in heaven.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Made a couple of loaves of cinnamon swirl bread (aka cinnamon babka). One loaf went fast yesterday. My wife just made french toast with the other one. I'm in heaven.
Ooooooh!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

IMG_20210510_134414.jpg
The babka are in the back, and the ones in front are a chocolate chip and cherry, and a chocolate chip and blueberry sourdough.

IMG_20210510_134414 (2).jpg

I cut the bread when it was still a little warm, so the chocolate chips melted onto the knife. Not as pretty as I'd like, but you can see it rose really well and had a nice crust.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
View attachment 26705
The babka are in the back, and the ones in front are a chocolate chip and cherry, and a chocolate chip and blueberry sourdough.

View attachment 26706

I cut the bread when it was still a little warm, so the chocolate chips melted onto the knife. Not as pretty as I'd like, but you can see it rose really well and had a nice crust.

That looks soooooo good!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank You, appreciated, but, I've been to 4 Orthopedic docs already.

He's not scheduling anything, he is telling me should I go joint replacement this is the order i should consider. Hip replacement was mentioned because of the deformity I currently have in the hip joint due to arthritis. I do not have plans to replace my hips at this time. Only the right knee. and if I am able to deal with that, then we will discuss the left, which by x ray is almost bone on bone

I have been dealing with knee and hip issues, that impact my day, on a regular basis for almost 10 years now. Tried strengthening, went to PT for hips and left knee, went to PT for the last meniscus repair (right knee) I went through 3 rounds of PT and there was little improvement. I currently have a permanent limp with the right leg and it will not straighten. I continue to do leg strengthening exercises, which do appear to make things better, for the most part, on the left knee, but not on the right. Also if I drive for more than 15 minutes, when I get out of the car, walking is a problem and last week I spent Tuesday and Wednesday walking with a cane.

As for martial arts training, it is not happening at the moment, and even taijiquan is hit and miss.

I am not taking this lightly and I am not jumping in trusting the doctor because he is a doctor. I was raised in a medical household, worked in a couple hospitals myself, and my wife is a doctor and she too is pushing for the replacement.

Believe me, the whole idea creeps me out because I know what they do. But at the moment, if I want my life back, and to be able to fulfill my current retirement plans, (which is about 5 or 6 years off), I do not have much choice at this point as it applies to the right knee, and very likely the left as well.
Yea, I watched videos of the surgery beforehand and got to watch my own video after the fact. Pretty gnarly, and we have slaughtered animals my whole life.
I was rather shocked how much straighter my new left knee will straighten vs. my right knee. I had no idea how far from straight I had been for so long.
It sounds like you have a ton of resource and knowledgebase so far be it from me to try to steer you in any direction. My apologies.
I got the word today that I am tentatively 4-5 months out on the right knee. I am trying to decide if I even want to pursue my left hip pain at this point, especially since so much is changing (stride, gate, etc...). Maybe when I come out of the backside of both knees the pain will ease up.
Like you I really have not worked out for a while now. I walk through forms almost everyday and still teach but it is different. If we did not have a great body of black belts I am not sure I could keep our two schools going.
We are starting our competition classes back up this summer and I am really looking forward to that.

Latest Discussions