Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got bored a work....
things running and installing
so...
took an old laptop and installed Ubuntu
Usually I'd go with CentOS, but today I tried a new Linux install

Yes....I live a full and exciting life on the edge.... I may not even hold the handrails on an escalator the next time i'm on one
I've gone back and forth playing with Mint and Ubuntu. I've given away a few very old laptops with Mint installed. They were too old for Windows, but just fine with Linux.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Working from home during this pandemic has been fine, but there is one thing. Working from the office my day starts at 9....... from home earlier....which brings me to......its just a little after 8AM, EST, and this is my day so far

200.gif
Started my new job about 2 months ago. Got moved after training to working from home, and I made it clear when I did that, that the only thing on my phone is teams. So before 9AM, someone would have to reach out to me there to contact me. Meaning that if there are tickets in the queue, or I get emails from clients, I don't know about it until I turn on my computer at 8:58. So far so good, let's see if it lasts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started my new job about 2 months ago. Got moved after training to working from home, and I made it clear when I did that, that the only thing on my phone is teams. So before 9AM, someone would have to reach out to me there to contact me. Meaning that if there are tickets in the queue, or I get emails from clients, I don't know about it until I turn on my computer at 8:58. So far so good, let's see if it lasts.
A solid approach. A lot of folks get into the habit of starting toward work at the same time they did when they had to go to work. That means they end up putting in a lot more hours over the week. When I work from home for a client, I start about the same time I'd show up at their building if I were working on-site.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you have to set boundaries, or you work all the day for the same price.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I have a work issued iPhone and an iPad for email. I have a VDI and as well as a VPN on my personal computer, my work issued MacBook and Work issued laptop........I get notifications all the time...the only tine I tend to be able to get away with ignoring them was from Friday evening to Sunday evening. But now having iPhone and iPad support as well as everything else I had, I seem to only get away with not replying when I m sleeping. Commissioners and deputy commissioners whose iPhones die cause many to panic. Not me, but those that do start at the level of my boss' boss.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a work issued iPhone and an iPad for email. I have a VDI and as well as a VPN on my personal computer, my work issued MacBook and Work issued laptop........I get notifications all the time...the only tine I tend to be able to get away with ignoring them was from Friday evening to Sunday evening. But now having iPhone and iPad support as well as everything else I had, I seem to only get away with not replying when I m sleeping. Commissioners and deputy commissioners whose iPhones die cause many to panic. Not me, but those that do start at the level of my boss' boss.
That's really unfortunate. No easy way out of that

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'll ever escape SKK. Found out one of my new coworkers has also trained it since he was a kid, and now teaches at a school with his brother. Going to meet up at some point to train/discuss ideas, and I can feel myself getting suckered back in to it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know if I'll ever escape SKK. Found out one of my new coworkers has also trained it since he was a kid, and now teaches at a school with his brother. Going to meet up at some point to train/discuss ideas, and I can feel myself getting suckered back in to it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just cut most of my grass, and the doggies rejoiced, and had the zoomies.

I picked some of the junk up that was hiding in the tall grass, got barked at (and growled at) by my neighbor's dogs.....I strongly dislike them.

I tried to crank my little push mower. it had been idle for years. I fixed the throttle cable the other day, and it sputters a little as if it wants to crank, but not quite. The riding mower does not keep air in the left front.

I felt more accomplished before I typed this out.
And yeah, while it wasn't warm, it was no longer freezing. We have storms again in the forecast for this weekend.
I want to get out on my boat!