Last Poster #7

Well, wanted to take my last few years at work, doing my job in my current office...... but due to the corporate take over going on it is getting a bit hostile... and it looks like I may have to start looking for another office to transfer too. That or spend my last years in a constant battle with the possibility of being put back at first level help desk (tied to a desk with a phone strapped to my head) kind of like what I did 20 years ago.... title and pay grade would stay the same, but I can't take sitting at a desk or being on a phone 8 hours a day... Even my soon to retire (State employee) supervisor is recommending I do this..... I will be the last of the Mohicans as far as government employees go in that office.... time will tell, but I can start looking as soon as the youngest goes to college in a few months.
I feel where you're coming from. 23 1/2 years, and drama and headaches are starting to be too much.

Just got a random idea. Probably not possible because alot of us live in different countries etc. But how awesome would a MT meet up be one day? Like a huge event. I'd Love to meet you guys and gals in person one day. Just a thought.
We have actually done them in the past. Many things interfered and they fell to the wayside. It would be great to do another.. might even drag Cap'n Bob out if we promise run...

We just had to put our pyr, Gus, down this weekend. They’re great dogs, but sadly the big ones don’t live very long lives. He was a good boy. We knew his hips were janky when we rescued him many years ago but they really deteriorated fast over the last year.

View attachment 29742

If you’re not familiar with the breed, they can be a real handful.
Oh man... I'm so very sorry for your loss... that's really hard making that decision... thoughts are with you mate

Just got a random idea. Probably not possible because alot of us live in different countries etc. But how awesome would a MT meet up be one day? Like a huge event. I'd Love to meet you guys and gals in person one day. Just a thought.
Same! And yeah this idea has been discussed many times over the years, would be darn cool indeed!

That sucks man. It's times like this when a man needs bacon the most. Jk but I hope things work out for you and you can still get the retirement you are looking forward to. Wishing you the best Xue.

thanks, I will get the retirement I want, it is just might be 2 years sooner... or from another office. But I am starting to look at this as a wake up call showing me I have gotten lazy and old. Time to wake up del with it and/or fight back if necessary. I'm in a good position and as of the end of August it is rock solid, it is just a matter of whether or not I want to spend the rest of my time at work in a constant battle, and I don't, so time to end it, or move on

and NO bacon would not make it better.....DANG YOU @Dirty Dog for putting folks up to this :D ;)

I'm at 28.5 years, and yes, it is to much, and getting worse
It’s getting very close for me, as well. For what it’s worth, a lot of my close friends have retired and every single one of them says that, if anything, they wish they had retired sooner.

Oh man... I'm so very sorry for your loss... that's really hard making that decision... thoughts are with you mate
Great Pyrenees are a unique breed. They’re smart, independent, and very stubborn. Training them is challenging, and keeping them engaged and happy as pets takes some work. As a result, they are often purchased as pets and then dumped at the pound or on the streets.

We’ve rescued a Great Dane, a Newfoundland, a St. Bernard, and two Pyrs. They’re all wonderful, but the breeds are very different. Different personalities and tendencies. With the pyrs in particular, it’s good to know what you’re getting into.

and NO bacon would not make it better.....DANG YOU @Dirty Dog for putting folks up to this :D ;)
r722sc4kpw831.jpg

You gotta post pics as he grows. And that name is a winner.
After consideration and consultation with the rest of the family, we've settled on Luke Skybarker. The Nerd is Strong with this family.

We just had to put our pyr, Gus, down this weekend. They’re great dogs, but sadly the big ones don’t live very long lives. He was a good boy. We knew his hips were janky when we rescued him many years ago but they really deteriorated fast over the last year.

View attachment 29742

If you’re not familiar with the breed, they can be a real handful.
I'm so sorry, Steve. Pets really are family and it's never easy to lose one.

We've never had a Pyr, but we're not new to dogs. We've got a Border/Aussie and a Cairn Terrier as well. Up until a few years ago, we had Bo; a German Shepard/Great Dane mix. Size and shape of a Dane, markings like a Shepard. Biggest lap dog ever. Despite his size, he was nearly 20 when he died. Had Shepard hips, too, but he did fine as long as he was on anti-inflammatories.

A news report of the riots I was in. It all happened right under me on the street. Nice to taste tear gas without working SWAT. It only got really exiting when they stormed out hotel and we found clubs on the roof, then went down to protect the hotel staff we had befriended.

I ended up confronting the protestors as we were coming down from the fourth floor with sticks and they were coming up to the third floor with sticks. They were looking for someone who had turned them into the police and said they didn't want to hurt us. That informant had checked out early in the morning and was gone. We went on down to the lobby to protect the female staff. Luckily they left after searching and nobody was hurt.

After consideration and consultation with the rest of the family, we've settled on Luke Skybarker. The Nerd is Strong with this family.

I'm so sorry, Steve. Pets really are family and it's never easy to lose one.

We've never had a Pyr, but we're not new to dogs. We've got a Border/Aussie and a Cairn Terrier as well. Up until a few years ago, we had Bo; a German Shepard/Great Dane mix. Size and shape of a Dane, markings like a Shepard. Biggest lap dog ever. Despite his size, he was nearly 20 when he died. Had Shepard hips, too, but he did fine as long as he was on anti-inflammatories.
Worth being prepared. I'm not familiar with those breeds, but you are definitely taking on a challenging dog to have as a pet. While individuals will definitely vary in personality, as a breed, Pyrs are a lot more like a Han Solo than a Luke Skywalker... charming, lovable scoundrels who operate according to their own internal moral compass. They are agents of chaos. They tend to be escape artists who are just as likely to dig under a fence in a matter of minutes, or sometimes just jump them. Pyr owners lovingly refer to them as Disapyrenees, because they will just take off on you.

They're usually smart, independent, and stubborn, so they can become very destructive to your house if they get bored. Some of them are also very vocal. As best as I can tell, it's hard to know whether you have a barker or not until they tell you (or don't). Our previous Pyr, Apollo, was a barker, and he would just wake up in the middle of the night and bark at the stars.

They like to dig holes in the yard and love to spend most of their time outside laying in the hole they just dug (especially in the summer, when they can get to some cool earth below the surface). They will also like being outside in the snow. Which is cool if they can just stay outside when they want, but is a giant pain in the *** if you have to bring them inside.

They are inherently guard dogs. They aren't herding dogs... couldn't care less what you guys do. But they will often wake up in the middle of the night and patrol the house to make sure all is well. So, closed doors tend to be a problem for them, and if something seems out of place, they will not hesitate to let everyone know.

Last tip, invest in a kickass vacuum (or just do what I do and use the shop vac for the bulk of the fur) and steel yourself for frequent brushing and expensive grooming visits. They have thick fur and blow out their undercoats a couple times a year. You'll never stay on top of the fur. It's a constant battle.

Anyway, not saying your little guy is going to be a problem at all, but I just hope you've mentally and physically prepared for what you're taking on.

1682963396378.png

Great Pyrenees are a unique breed. They’re smart, independent, and very stubborn. Training them is challenging, and keeping them engaged and happy as pets takes some work. As a result, they are often purchased as pets and then dumped at the pound or on the streets.

We’ve rescued a Great Dane, a Newfoundland, a St. Bernard, and two Pyrs. They’re all wonderful, but the breeds are very different. Different personalities and tendencies. With the pyrs in particular, it’s good to know what you’re getting into.
Sorry to hear of your loss Steve. Dogs are very special, each one is a gift. I think of the pain of losing them as the bill come due for all of the unconditional love that they give to us.

Retire early is a good thing. I have retired almost 20 years (this coming November). This is the best part of my life. I have money and time to do whatever that I want to do. I can sleep until 12 noon and go to bed until 4 am.
I have 30 years with my employer and have been early retirement eligible since 2018. But I won't be fully retirement eligible until I'm 57. As I say to my colleagues, I'm a provisional member of the KMA club (that's Kiss My ***, not Korean Martial Arts) :), but don't have my full membership card quite yet.

Latest Discussions

Back