Last Poster #7

Something else I had yesterday was a sticky rice ball with Durian inside. It was incredibly tasty and pleasantly sweet....just don't smell it.... kind of like these

5178.png
I'm very curious about durian. Wouldn't even know where to buy it... or if I really want to know. :D

I'm very curious about durian. Wouldn't even know where to buy it... or if I really want to know. :D
Durian is very common in Thailand of course. I don't mind it, it tastes pretty good. But because of the smell it is banned in many hotels, airports and places like that.

Strained my back last week. Been feeling a bit better every day, and today took 2-3 steps/days back.
Week and a half now. Back felt almost "not-bad" today, so decided I'd stretch it a bit with a small amount of yoga. Now it feels bad again. You'd think I'd know better, but guess not. Especially since I'm already planning my next test to be the tai chi short form next weekend.

I watched the black and white classic, Twelve Angry Men last night. I had forgotten how epic that film is.

And maybe the most talented cast, at their best, in the history of American cinema.

I watched the black and white classic, Twelve Angry Men last night. I had forgotten how epic that film is.

And maybe the most talented cast, at their best, in the history of American cinema.
A classic.

Not trying to throw shade at anyone, as this is an incredibly common occurrence, but I forgot how much fun I have comparing what I call "pop psych" or "pop health" articles about research, with what the researchers take away from the research is, and the research itself. The pop articles are almost always more extreme then either what the researchers say about it, or the articles themselves, and ignore whatever limitations are present (and sometimes readily admitted in the articles).

But being more honest with the reporting sounds less exciting, makes for worse headlines, less discussion and less clicks.

Not trying to throw shade at anyone, as this is an incredibly common occurrence, but I forgot how much fun I have comparing what I call "pop psych" or "pop health" articles about research, with what the researchers take away from the research is, and the research itself. The pop articles are almost always more extreme then either what the researchers say about it, or the articles themselves, and ignore whatever limitations are present (and sometimes readily admitted in the articles).

But being more honest with the reporting sounds less exciting, makes for worse headlines, less discussion and less clicks.
Here's one... they use a question mark. If you read the article, the answer is "probably not." :) I like how the BBC put this article in their "science focus" section.

Here's one... they use a question mark. If you read the article, the answer is "probably not." :) I like how the BBC put this article in their "science focus" section.

That's a lot more catchy then "BBQ food has been found bad in lab rats, but not in humans, at least so far".
That also does one of the more frustrating things to me-not linking the study in question. So if you want to verify what they say vs. what the study says, you have to actually search the article (which makes it more likely you'll just take their word for it). A lot of times you need some sort of subscription to the journal in question, but at the very least you can get the meat of it through the abstract if they provide a link.

That's a lot more catchy then "BBQ food has been found bad in lab rats, but not in humans, at least so far".
That also does one of the more frustrating things to me-not linking the study in question. So if you want to verify what they say vs. what the study says, you have to actually search the article (which makes it more likely you'll just take their word for it). A lot of times you need some sort of subscription to the journal in question, but at the very least you can get the meat of it through the abstract if they provide a link.
I am a bit of an eccentric, but I love reading studies, even if I don't fully understand some of the technical ones. I enjoy hearing from real experts. My daughter is a chemist and some of the stuff she sends me is way over my head.

In the vein of bombastic headlines, I have always appreciated this billboard from the Midwest a while back:

Screenshot_20230104_071008.png

Speaking of propaganda

5 Actual Health Benefits of Bacon

And then they explain the health issues with this...

Many nutritionists are concerned that a high intake of processed meat (like bacon) can increase the risk of cancer and heart disease.

The problem with these observational studies is that the people who tend to eat a lot of processed meat also tend to lead unhealthy lifestyles so there’s no way to pinpoint if the processed meat is what’s causing the actual damage.

“However, people who eat a lot of processed meat tend to follow an unhealthy lifestyle in general. They are more likely to smoke and exercise less frequently”

I am in the habit of digging into the actual data and methodology before I place a lot of stock in studies.

A fine example was when saccharin was banned after research showed it caused bladder cancer in lab rats.

However, the mechanism by which it caused bladder cancer in rats isn't a thing in humans, so the study is meaningless. That, and the fact you'd have to ingest something like 100lbs of saccharin per day to reach the doses the rats were given.

Back