Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My life expressed in one picture.
when-you-get-angry-but-nobody-takes-you-seriously-cause-30164553.png

@Dirty Dog

I'm getting a new car and it ISfaster than your old antiquated corvette..... because it is turbocharged.....NOTHING will be able to beat my Turbocharged 4 cylinder Honda engine...because its TURBOCHARGED!!!!!! :D
I will have to join DD in the laughter here.
I once drove a turbo charged - diesel.
Don't get me wrong, I did kick the beast up to a 100mph...but I don't think it could have kept up with the vette...

Years ago, before GPS was a thing for consumers, I printed a set of directions from MapQuest. I was excited, because the directions made it clear the store I wanted was quite near my home - within a mile or two, and I didn't know there was one that close. So, I got on Hwy 29 and started following the directions. 1.5 miles later, the directions indicate I should turn right. That would be right in the middle of a good-sized lake - no roads within a 1/2 mile either direction. Somehow, I managed to resist the urge to drown myself getting to that store (which, it turns out, was not in the middle of a lake - nor even within a few miles of my house).
no better than GPS...

Don't get me wrong, I did kick the beast up to a 100mph...but I don't think it could have kept up with the vette...
We had a Zaporozhets. It had a 40 horsepower engine. It was made the same year I was born. Ah, the good times we had with that poor little car... I saw a documentary about cars on History Channel once and was surprised to see Zaporozhets. It got an honorable mention. They said, "Just by looking at that car you could tell it was made in the Soviet Union."

wcf-zaporozhets-zaz-968-zaz-zaporozhets-968a1.jpg

I have a turbo diesel.

It's not fast...

What it is though is big enough to load with kids and paraphernalia for days out, big enough to load with crap for work and capable of towing crap for work.

All for a £450 outright purchase price and an average of 55mpg.

If I want fast I use a bike - because really, unless a car is absolutely stupid fast it's not bike fast, so what's the point? I can't afford a car that'll do 0-60 in under 4 seconds, and mediocre fast is like getting disturbed during happy fun time...

I have a turbo diesel.

It's not fast...

What it is though is big enough to load with kids and paraphernalia for days out, big enough to load with crap for work and capable of towing crap for work.

I have one of those, too, but it's gas. Never owned a diesel.

If I want fast I use a bike - because really, unless a car is absolutely stupid fast it's not bike fast, so what's the point? I can't afford a car that'll do 0-60 in under 4 seconds, and mediocre fast is like getting disturbed during happy fun time...

That's kind of the point @Xue Sheng was making. My vette IS "stupid fast" and a lot safer than a bike if something goes wrong at those speeds. On race tires, at sea level, it's capable of running the quarter mile in 9.6 seconds, at 146MPH. While still being street legal, with AC, a nice sound system, being comfortable enough for 4000 mile road trips, and capable of 30+ MPG if I can keep my foot out of the throttle.

Last edited:
I have one of those, too, but it's gas. Never owned a diesel.

[....] and capable of 30+ MPG if I can keep my foot out of the throttle.

IF......

A diesel is nice though when you have some pulling to do.
A loaded 2 horse trailer for examples.
And of course the stuff to go with the horses.

1200px-Peugeot_505_GR_front_side%2C_Denpasar.jpg

Last edited:

I did manage to do so for an entire day, on our last road trip. I'm always telling Sue that the vette is an economy car, and she scoffs (can you believe it???). She said if I could hit 30MPG, she'd accept the assertion. I kept out of it for an entire day (which was admittedly tough...) and hit 30. Showed it to her, and went back to my normal driving. :)
On the first two days of that trip, I got 22.2 MPG, and averaged just over 94 MPH.

I did manage to do so for an entire day, on our last road trip. I'm always telling Sue that the vette is an economy car, and she scoffs (can you believe it???). She said if I could hit 30MPG, she'd accept the assertion. I kept out of it for an entire day (which was admittedly tough...) and hit 30. Showed it to her, and went back to my normal driving. :)
On the first two days of that trip, I got 22.2 MPG, and averaged just over 94 MPH.
Well done. That kind of restraint earns you a day at the track.

I am proud of you!

That's kind of the point @Xue Sheng was making. My vette IS "stupid fast" and a lot safer than a bike if something goes wrong at those speeds. On race tires, at sea level, it's capable of running the quarter mile in 9.6 seconds, at 146MPH. While still being street legal, with AC, a nice sound system, being comfortable enough for 4000 mile road trips, and capable of 30+ MPG if I can keep my foot out of the throttle.

What's the point of being "stupid fast" anyway? There are speed limits all over the place. There are only a few places in the western world where you can go 146 MPH and not get a speeding ticket.

What's the point of being "stupid fast" anyway? There are speed limits all over the place. There are only a few places in the western world where you can go 146 MPH and not get a speeding ticket.

There are race tracks all over the place, too.
And not everyone obeys speed limits all the time. I did mention averaging 94 MPH over a two day period, right?
And it'll go a lot faster than 146, if I have more than a quarter of a mile to work with. :D

Last edited:
And not everyone obeys speed limits all the time. I did mention averaging 94 MPH over a two day period, right?
And it'll go a lot faster than 146, if I have more than a quarter of a mile to work with. :D
I assumed as much. I'm pretty sure my old Mercedes would do well over 100 still (okay, I actually know it can hit 100 easily - happy?), so that Vette should be able to lope along at that 146.

You know... Microsoft Money listed speeding tickets as one of the leading causes of people wasting money in America. I am not saying - I am just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions

Back