Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed as much. I'm pretty sure my old Mercedes would do well over 100 still (okay, I actually know it can hit 100 easily - happy?), so that Vette should be able to lope along at that 146.
You know you can hit 100, do you? And you found that out how and where was I - because I sure as hell would have told you to slow down.
9fc78141d973c11c34a6ada7457b4add.jpg

You know you can hit 100, do you? And you found that out how and where was I - because I sure as hell would have told you to slow down.
9fc78141d973c11c34a6ada7457b4add.jpg
I was responsibly avoiding a road-rage incident. It was all done with others' best interests in mind. At least that time it was.

I will have to join DD in the laughter here.
I once drove a turbo charged - diesel.
Don't get me wrong, I did kick the beast up to a 100mph...but I don't think it could have kept up with the vette...

That's Diesel....they are all turbo charged so they don't count....I'm talking a Turbo charged GAS engine...4 cylinder......so it MUST be speedy and faster than that old antiquated, over weight, 8 cylinder, plastic car

Last edited:
I have one of those, too, but it's gas. Never owned a diesel.

That's kind of the point @Xue Sheng was making. My vette IS "stupid fast" and a lot safer than a bike if something goes wrong at those speeds. On race tires, at sea level, it's capable of running the quarter mile in 9.6 seconds, at 146MPH. While still being street legal, with AC, a nice sound system, being comfortable enough for 4000 mile road trips, and capable of 30+ MPG if I can keep my foot out of the throttle.

I use to work on turbo charged diesels back in my VW Mechanic days.......and they were far from fast.

I found it humorous that part of the sales pitch for my CRV was that it was turbo charged...... but they were not emphasizing speed, they were emphasizing gas mileage improvements. But it did make me think of way back when I was a kid and you heard that a care was turbocharged, it was likely one of these

maxresdefault.jpg

and to this day when I hear turbocharges I think of a Porsche... I never think of one of these

2018-Honda-CR-V-side-01.jpg

As far a bikes vs cars. In most cases the bike is faster off the line and it a 1/4 mile, as you know, that can make a big difference. However your Vet is not most cars and to come close to that you are not talking your average everyday motorcycle, you're talking things like the BMW K 1200S, Yamaha YZF R1, or Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird and of course a completely insane rider with a death wish.

I've been on bikes at 100mph..scared the heck out of me, never did it again. I have been in a little Datsun 240z at 150 and it scared the heck out of me. I was in a 74 Grand Prix at 140 and it did not seem that fast...also drove a 1970 Buick LeSabre at 100mph...that did not seem all that fast either...but I think it is the size and weight of the car that made the difference there.... I was not driving the Datsun or the Pontiac. But my days of caring about going fast are done. I care more about off road capability these days...but I don't go off road anymore either so...CRV. I will say this, they made it bigger and increased ground clearance...but I still do not think I will take it the places my 3/4 ton GMC k2500 went or where any of my Jeeps went.

Last edited:
<sigh> I drive a Buick Encore. The smallest SUV out there. It gets me from point A to point B, with groceries and dogs. It gets 30 mph, and has heated seats and steering wheel. Its name is Cicero (shut up @gpseymour !), because it is quiet and pensive, and when it speaks it is only to make a good point.

We had a Zaporozhets. It had a 40 horsepower engine. It was made the same year I was born. Ah, the good times we had with that poor little car... I saw a documentary about cars on History Channel once and was surprised to see Zaporozhets. It got an honorable mention. They said, "Just by looking at that car you could tell it was made in the Soviet Union."

wcf-zaporozhets-zaz-968-zaz-zaporozhets-968a1.jpg

The Shop car for the Honda Garage I worked in back in 1981

72-OJ-Coupe8b.jpg

<sigh> I drive a Buick Encore. The smallest SUV out there. It gets me from point A to point B, with groceries and dogs. It gets 30 mph, and has heated seats and steering wheel. Its name is Cicero (shut up @gpseymour !), because it is quiet and pensive, and when it speaks it is only to make a good point.

Cicero!...... The Roman statesman, orator, lawyer and philosopher.....alrighty then.

I use to work on turbo charged diesels back in my VW Mechanic days.......and they were far from fast.

I found it humorous that part of the sales pitch for my CRV was that it was turbo charged...... but they were not emphasizing speed, they were emphasizing gas mileage improvements. But it did make me think of way back when I was a kid and you heard that a care was turbocharged, it was likely one of these

maxresdefault.jpg

and to this day when I hear turbocharges I think of a Porsche... I never think of one of these

2018-Honda-CR-V-side-01.jpg

As far a bikes vs cars. In most cases the bike is faster off the line and it a 1/4 mile, as you know, that can make a big difference. However your Vet is not most cars and to come close to that you are not talking your average everyday motorcycle, you're talking things like the BMW K 1200S, Yamaha YZF R1, or Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird and of course a completely insane rider with a death wish.

I've been on bikes at 100mph..scared the heck out of me, never did it again. I have been in a little Datsun 240z at 150 and it scared the heck out of me. I was in a 74 Grand Prix at 140 and it did not seem that fast...also drove a 1970 Buick LeSabre at 100mph...that did not seem all that fast either...but I think it is the size and weight of the car that made the difference there.... I was not driving the Datsun or the Pontiac. But my days of caring about going fast are done. I care more about off road capability these days...but I don't go off road anymore either so...CRV. I will say this, they made it bigger and increased ground clearance...but I still do not think I will take it the places my 3/4 ton GMC k2500 went or where any of my Jeeps went.
I broke 110 MPH on a Kawasaki 454LTD once.

images

I was going downhill. It was a pretty long hill.

She refuses to acknowledge the car prefers to be known by it's "street name": L'il Suv.

She refuses to acknowledge the car prefers to be known by it's "street name": L'il Suv.
... because it's not the car's real name. Would you acknowledge your name was Bartholomew just because someone repeatedly kept calling you that? See, that's exactly why the driver's seat repeatedly tries to eat you.

... because it's not the car's real name. Would you acknowledge your name was Bartholomew just because someone repeatedly kept calling you that? See, that's exactly why the driver's seat repeatedly tries to eat you.
I just go by the car's preference. Because I'm polite and caring like that.

I broke 110 MPH on a Kawasaki 454LTD once.

images

I was going downhill. It was a pretty long hill.

I scared myself on my Seca 750....with a racing clutch, a Kerker exhaust system and shall we say a larger that factory carburetor. IT could have gone faster...however I could not go any faster on it....But it pretty much looked like this

1200px-Yamaha_XJ_750_Seca.JPG

After a long and serious consideration, I'd come to a conclusion POUND should be classified not as a mere fitness class but as a martial arts class. Just think - you spend an hour striking around with sticks, while twirling, swinging your arms and legs, squatting, and occasionally even lying on your back. During the course of this process, you repeatedly go through self-teaching lessons such as not rapping yourself on the knuckles and shins. I think that qualifies. And when you lose a stick and it goes twirling through the air, it turns into a projectile of formidable strength and impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions

Back