Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I'm slowly learning to avoid posting when I'm in a foul mood. Or at least responding to posts that tick me off in a foul mood (if you got an alert that i replied to one of your posts yesterday or today, it was not one of the ones that ticked me off). I'm not always the best at realizing that. On a semi-related note, if it wasn't for COVID, I'd have woken up a married man today. And yesterday was the perfect day for a wedding.

Go to the courthouse, have the party later!

It will be much moar better that way, too!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, some good news to share. My daughter is receiving an excellence in chemistry research award at her commencement in a few weeks. She will have a double major in Germanics and biochemistry (an interesting combination :))

If you're at all interested, she created a brief overview of her piece of the research, on optimization of an allosteric sensor of DNA binding (whatever that actually means.)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think I'm slowly learning to avoid posting when I'm in a foul mood. Or at least responding to posts that tick me off in a foul mood (if you got an alert that i replied to one of your posts yesterday or today, it was not one of the ones that ticked me off). I'm not always the best at realizing that. On a semi-related note, if it wasn't for COVID, I'd have woken up a married man today. And yesterday was the perfect day for a wedding.
hey, not sure if you guys have considered it or not, but there are a lot of resorts that offer an "elopement package." They can be really nice, are a fraction of the cost of a wedding, and can just be a great way to tie the knot for some folks.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, some good news to share. My daughter is receiving an excellence in chemistry research award at her commencement in a few weeks. She will have a double major in Germanics and biochemistry (an interesting combination :))

If you're at all interested, she created a brief overview of her piece of the research, on optimization of an allosteric sensor of DNA binding (whatever that actually means.)

Wow.

I had to look up Germanics first, to see what it was other than the obvious. Then I watched her overview. Wow.

I guess she takes after her mom, :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wow.

I had to look up Germanics first, to see what it was other than the obvious. Then I watched her overview. Wow.

I guess she takes after her mom, :)
For sure. My wife has a degree in biology and organic chemistry. Let's just say, I do not. I aced physics for jocks, though. :)

There's a line in her video where she says something like, "You may know that gene expression is controlled by local regulatory sequences." Not only did I not know that, I don't have a clue what that means. :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For sure. My wife has a degree in biology and organic chemistry. Let's just say, I do not. I aced physics for jocks, though. :)

There's a line in her video where she says something like, "You may know that gene expression is controlled by local regulatory sequences." Not only did I not know that, I don't have a clue what that means. :D

I'm picturing your family at the dinner table, your wife and daughter discussing certain things having to do with the sciences.

And your head turning back and forth.......wondering. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm picturing your family at the dinner table, your wife and daughter discussing certain things having to do with the sciences.

And your head turning back and forth.......wondering. :)
I just pour a little more whiskey over the ice.

Seriously, though, we don't get enough dinners with them now that they're out of the house. This one's married, and my oldest is working full time. We just have one at home anymore.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know most people have been staying home these days. Trying to keep busy and also amuse themselves.

But this kid? This kid is just the balls.

The Swish Machine: 70 Step Basketball Trickshot (Rube Goldberg Machine)
That is damned impressive.

If you haven't seen this guy's stuff, I highly recommend it. His latest is a squirrel ninja warrior obstacle course. But if you haven't seen his glitter bomb videos, I recommend watching that too. All are linked below for your viewing pleasure:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Very interesting video. I was vaguely familiar with some of it. We plant some crops that are weed resistant and 'Roundup' ready (glyphosate tolerant). When learning about it I remember some of what she is saying about turning on/off and triggering at a specific level. It is all way over my head for sure though. Good stuff.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished shaving....I have shaved more the last 2 weeks than I have in the last 4 years.

Be glad when the Pandemic is over.....I miss my beard.

bedfb784335d35418e0cae58cada416d_400x400.jpeg

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to the courthouse, have the party later!

It will be much moar better that way, too!

hey, not sure if you guys have considered it or not, but there are a lot of resorts that offer an "elopement package." They can be really nice, are a fraction of the cost of a wedding, and can just be a great way to tie the knot for some folks.

Currently what we're planning is to just do a wedding in my backyard (livestreamed on a fb group per my fiancees request), and then have a party next year (we already put down the deposit, and the place is fine with us delaying it for no cost, but not cancelling). We just need to talk to my pastor about the details, and when he's comfortable doing it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just finished shaving....I have shaved more the last 2 weeks than I have in the last 4 years.

Be glad when the Pandemic is over.....I miss my beard.

bedfb784335d35418e0cae58cada416d_400x400.jpeg
I shaved my beard too, which I've done less than 5 times since I separated from the USAF. Mine was long enough to braid before I shaved. I don't even recognize myself now.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Bloody awesome, well done to her! :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know most people have been staying home these days. Trying to keep busy and also amuse themselves.

But this kid? This kid is just the balls.

The Swish Machine: 70 Step Basketball Trickshot (Rube Goldberg Machine)
That....... is just RIDICULOUS. Wooooow.... you'd have to have such a good understanding of.... SOMETHING to pull that off.... can't even imagine how many failed attempts it took.. and the effort to put everything all back AND do the little tweaks necessary! Brilliant.

I was holding my breath when the basketball was veeeery slowly moving across those vertical cinder blocks, I was like "noooooooo!"

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That's awesome, good for her!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lot of hair stuff going on with everyone. I'm getting used to this bald thing, the goatee thing and the staying out of work thing. I just might keep all those things permanently.

BaldBeard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions