Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our cats are thoroughly domesticated. We wait on them hand and foot while they spend time contemplating taking over the world. One of them is sitting in my lap purring as I type this.
Nope; can't do it. I have learned that I/we look at animals differently from many others. We were raised that every animal (everything really) has to serve a purpose. We had/have lots of livestock. Cattle, hogs and chickens mainly. Their purpose is apparent. We had/have hunting dogs that were very lovable and some were pets but if they could not track a scent and hold a point they were not around very long. I have raised high end breeds twice with ok success but the ends did not justify the input. In 57 years we had one horse, for about a year. Then realized it was a rarely enjoyable money pit that really served no purpose. We have raised goats and all manners of animals for slaughter. We keep a few fixed cats around the barns to help with mice. When our son's dog got older we let her sleep inside during the colder months. Never really could get used to that.
I suppose the term domestic animal just has a different meaning to me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've only had blotkake once, and wouldn't have remembered the name of it had you not mentioned it.
It was delicious.

Happy belated Nasjonaldagen day, Steve!

IMG_20200517_145044.jpg

Cake, with strawberry jam, vanilla custard, and whipped cream between the layers, whipped cream frosting and fresh fruit on top. I sprinkled some amaretto on the cake, too.

The blueberries were amazing. It was a great day. We delivered some care packages to our neighbors of home made Mac n cheese, smoked brisket, and cake for dessert. Too much food for just us.

I also found some aquavit in the freezer. :)

IMG_20200517_100519.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope; can't do it. I have learned that I/we look at animals differently from many others. We were raised that every animal (everything really) has to serve a purpose. We had/have lots of livestock. Cattle, hogs and chickens mainly. Their purpose is apparent. We had/have hunting dogs that were very lovable and some were pets but if they could not track a scent and hold a point they were not around very long. I have raised high end breeds twice with ok success but the ends did not justify the input. In 57 years we had one horse, for about a year. Then realized it was a rarely enjoyable money pit that really served no purpose. We have raised goats and all manners of animals for slaughter. We keep a few fixed cats around the barns to help with mice. When our son's dog got older we let her sleep inside during the colder months. Never really could get used to that.
I suppose the term domestic animal just has a different meaning to me.
But they DO have a purpose! A walking, purring, manipulative, antidepressant snuggle monster! That's the purpose, isn't it?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Normally I don't like cats. But I can make an exception for some cats. Most cats leave my dog alone ,but some cats cause problems. A real nuisance when I'm trying to take my dog for a walk.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our cats are thoroughly domesticated. We wait on them hand and foot while they spend time contemplating taking over the world. One of them is sitting in my lap purring as I type this.
And two of them are still quite good at mousing. The big cat caught one once, but we're fairly convinced the mouse just had a heart attack when he saw Isaac.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But they DO have a purpose! A walking, purring, manipulative, antidepressant snuggle monster! That's the purpose, isn't it?
Apparently so. At least I hear that a lot. We just do not see animals that way directly. There are few things I love seeing more than a new crop of calves playing in the field.
Do I get an emotional happy feeling when we save a cow & calf that is struggling through birth? You bet. Tired usually but very happy. But I suppose rolled up in the 'feelings' is the purpose of it all. If you lose the calf that is one years lost profits. If you lose the cow that is up to 15 years lost profits. We would replace the lost cow but you have a Lot invested in a replacement cow. Then the ROI gets all jacked up.
Many of our cattle will let you walk up and put you hand on them. But you have to know the other side of the equation. I cannot count the number of people I have heard of getting hurt from a nervous or pissed off cow in the working pen. We cull rogue cows harder than a lot of cattlemen do but it still happens.
I always use the analogy that you can get hurt from a cow or calf who is just swatting a fly if you happen to be standing in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I have a good sized scar on my right leg just above the ankle from an excited sow that jumped and ripped through my pants leg and got it's front leg stuck. It started thrashing around and twisted the pants leg around it's leg, not allowing it to get free. Quite a moment. Funny in hindsight but could have been a Lot worse. Lost a good pair of jeans that day.:(;):)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure! We have some nice pickles! Do you like pickles? I am serious, if you do, I can send you some. Well... you have to be in the US. They won't let me send pickles abroad. Boo... :(
In theory Washington State is US.....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
They are like the mafia, aren't they? They just suck you in.....
cute little fluffy mafia.
Nicely done. I don't seem to do much with presentation when I bake. Once it's edible, I want to start..edding??
People get creative with the decorations on these. I've seen a lot of Norwegian flags designs and such. They can get very fancy.
In theory Washington State is US.....
Practically Canada. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm happy to share the recipe I used, but I don't think the cake would survive the mail. :)

Maybe if you put it in a large wooden badger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions