Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I took a 30 minute dive back into some old Weird Al songs at lunch, and it was wonderful.

But the first Weird Al song I ever heard was "I Love Rocky Road":

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I took a 30 minute dive back into some old Weird Al songs at lunch, and it was wonderful.

"White and Nerdy" is my absolute favorite! I also like "It's all about the Pentiums", "Amish Paradise", "That's your horoscope", and "Driving a truck with my high heels on".

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay. Why didn't I know about this one? I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt.

"Now I don't want your drama.
If you really wanna
leave out that Oxford comma."

I tend to leave it out because I've left it out for 35 years, but I catch all kinds of hell for it. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Haha, am just not a movies sorta guy ;D. Although I've heard of the book/books too, seems to be popular!
The books were great. Mostly just absurd situations and a lot of gallows humor. The delivery is very deadpan, and Arthur Dent, one of only a few humans left from Earth, is the straight guy. This is actually where I got the phrase, "Mostly harmless," that I use under my avatar.

The idea is that the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an actual guide book for hitchhikers, with helpful tips about places. Early in the first book, Arthur Dent sees the entry for Earth, and it's only one word long: "harmless." He pitches a fit, and his buddy (an alien who has spent 15 years researching) assures him it will be changed in the next edition to, "Mostly harmless."

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The books are better. Not dissing the movie, as I said I loved it, but...the books are a must-read.
I learned something yesterday. I was curious enough to look it up, and it appears that the radio show came first, then the first book was adapted. Huh...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, am just not a movies sorta guy ;D. Although I've heard of the book/books too, seems to be popular!

As with so many movies, it was a book first (actually a series of short radio bits) first, and the book is much better.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Why didn't I know about this one? I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt.

"Now I don't want your drama.
If you really wanna
leave out that Oxford comma."

I tend to leave it out because I've left it out for 35 years, but I catch all kinds of hell for it. :)
I somehow missed that one, too. Thanks for posting it!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Cool list.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The books were great. Mostly just absurd situations and a lot of gallows humor. The delivery is very deadpan, and Arthur Dent, one of only a few humans left from Earth, is the straight guy. This is actually where I got the phrase, "Mostly harmless," that I use under my avatar.

The idea is that the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an actual guide book for hitchhikers, with helpful tips about places. Early in the first book, Arthur Dent sees the entry for Earth, and it's only one word long: "harmless." He pitches a fit, and his buddy (an alien who has spent 15 years researching) assures him it will be changed in the next edition to, "Mostly harmless."
And ships of the Vogon Construction Fleet float in the air rather like gold bricks do not...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Made some soap today... olive oil, palm oil, coconut oil, and castor oil. Added colloidal oatmeal and activated charcoal. Should be a pretty mild bar, good for a friend who has eczema.

Tried to make it look fancy, but we shall see tomorrow. I can make good soap, but I really have a long way to go before it’s as fancy as some of the stuff I see. All my bars are pretty plain looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.