Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly the way maximum security lost it annoys me. Because the person who put in the claim wasn't the one who got screwed, really, but he was the one who benefited from the DQ. I get why he did it, but I don't like it.
kind of sucks, but it's about the safety of the field.
We don't need a 5 horse pileup while the world is watching (happens, we lost a horse in a massacre like that, back in the 70s) or broke down horses.
2019 with the * Derby....and likely not a triple crown year.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
kind of sucks, but it's about the safety of the field.
We don't need a 5 horse pileup while the world is watching (happens, we lost a horse in a massacre like that, back in the 70s) or broke down horses.
2019 with the * Derby....and likely not a triple crown year.
Oh, absolutely I get it, and I wouldn't want that either. And if they just DQ'd him for that, or the person who was actually impacted by it made the complaint, I would have no issues. My problem is more that the person who won only did so by actively getting someone else disqualified.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sure everyone saw the odds on the horse that ultimately won. There had to be some very happy people after the decision. Money talks.
If I understood correctly, the decision to DQ was made by three people. I thought that was quite ridiculous.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh look....its raining....again....... and is supposed to rain all week.....

Anyone have plans for an ark I can borrow....and some gopher wood...whatever that is?... and what exactly is a cubit?

shutterstock_186687086.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sure everyone saw the odds on the horse that ultimately won. There had to be some very happy people after the decision. Money talks.
If I understood correctly, the decision to DQ was made by three people. I thought that was quite ridiculous.
The deal is, if you interfere -badly enough - with another horse to run a successful race, you get disqualified.
Because it messes with the betting operations (biggest issue in American Racing) and it's dangerous to horses. On Oaks day, one horse got clipped and went butt over teakettle!

This 'bobble' may have caused the oldest jockey in the field his chance at making history. The old man won't get there again!

It sucks. Nobody wants this. Thankfully nobody got hurt.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The deal is, if you interfere -badly enough - with another horse to run a successful race, you get disqualified.
Because it messes with the betting operations (biggest issue in American Racing) and it's dangerous to horses. On Oaks day, one horse got clipped and went butt over teakettle!

This 'bobble' may have caused the oldest jockey in the field his chance at making history. The old man won't get there again!

It sucks. Nobody wants this. Thankfully nobody got hurt.
If the three other horses the appeared to be affected had protested it would have been a much clear DQ. I understand there is an arbitration process that has already started. I have to wonder if all the winnings are frozen at this point.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The racing stewards did their job and enforced the rules of horse racing properly.

As for Triple Crown hopes, as always after a Derby win, there's only one horse who has a shot.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The racing stewards did their job and enforced the rules of horse racing properly.

As for Triple Crown hopes, as always after a Derby win, there's only one horse who has a shot.
The last thing I am is a horse racing expert. If what happened was so bad, why did the two horses who appeared to get interfered with the most not protest? The two that got squeezed out in the middle.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last thing I am is a horse racing expert. If what happened was so bad, why did the two horses who appeared to get interfered with the most not protest? The two that got squeezed out in the middle.
It's possible the protest we hear about was just the first one in. The other guys might have just said, "Well, no need to pipe up now."

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's possible the protest we hear about was just the first one in. The other guys might have just said, "Well, no need to pipe up now."
or it was a matter of the media running with it.
'he wasn't even involved, and only protested to get the win'

Having that many horses on the track is always risky.
I mean, I saw one time, the horse disappeared on the outside training track, hidden by bushes from the public, then reappeared a couple of turns later. Not a big race. didn't hurt anybody else. (we won that race though)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
or it was a matter of the media running with it.
'he wasn't even involved, and only protested to get the win'

Having that many horses on the track is always risky.
I mean, I saw one time, the horse disappeared on the outside training track, hidden by bushes from the public, then reappeared a couple of turns later. Not a big race. didn't hurt anybody else. (we won that race though)
I actually didnt hear the media make that statement until today. Yesterday they were all focused on how it's historic, and what the challenge means, nothing about the attitude of the guy challenging.

If nothing else though, maximum security thinks he won, and county house thinks he came in second. And nothing anyone does will change that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot less drunk people in the hospital than i was expecting today. Theyll probably come in after midnight, when my shift ends, and the tomorrow people will have to deal with the aftermath while i enjoy my day off :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm working to install Linux Mint on an old laptop, using a Mint virtual machine. I'm quickly learning just how much Linux terminal command I've forgotten. And I never knew all that much to start with.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm working to install Linux Mint on an old laptop, using a Mint virtual machine. I'm quickly learning just how much Linux terminal command I've forgotten. And I never knew all that much to start with.

what a coincidence, I just moved my Linux box from one shelf to another in my set up room. Have not touched it in over a year and I remember nothing at all

What version of Linux?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually didnt hear the media make that statement until today. Yesterday they were all focused on how it's historic, and what the challenge means, nothing about the attitude of the guy challenging.

If nothing else though, maximum security thinks he won, and county house thinks he came in second. And nothing anyone does will change that.
Media is more than the official channels.
I mean somebody had to say who lodge the complaint.
Too many people don't know. but heaven forbid, we have another Barbaro.
I mean poop happens. I still have nightmares thinking of Artax breaking a leg mid-race. And that was not even a massive incident.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what a coincidence, I just moved my Linux box from one shelf to another in my set up room. Have not touched it in over a year and I remember nothing at all

What version of Linux?
Mint MATE on the new one (if I can ever figure out why I can't build a bootable USB drive to install from), and some flavor of Mint on the VM (the one I'm currently staring at, uncomprehendingly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions