Last Night's Class

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Had class last night. Sparring once again! The guy I had issues with before, unfortunately had his work schedule changed and won't be in class for a while.. which sucks.

I sparred last night, and the class was small so our instructor was taking more time out last night to give us sparring pointers, and pointing out where we needed to work on things.

One of the things I didn't realize I was doing that he point out.. was dropping my hands alot. Previously I only sparred folks who could only kick waist high. So, there was never any danger of getting clocked in the head. Now, however some of the guys can easily kick at head level. I apparently am having a tendency to drop my back hand, which leaves me wide open after I go in for an attack.

Another thing I kept doing, was kind of pacing around flat footed. instead of staying up on my toes and kind of shifting around. So alot of times I'd get nailed straight forward because my body was not turned to the side. I was aware that I was doing this, because it was keeping me from tiring out so fast so I could go longer. I guess I am just gonna have to do some running or something to build stamina.

When I was sparring before, I always tried to watch my opponent and "react" according to what they do. I'd plan my attacks. But this time around for some reason its not working that way. I was doing a bit better last night.

I will say, that anyone who wants to argue the hands up or down tactic.. should come to one of our sparring sessions. I'd be layed out on the floor constantly if I didn't have mine up.

So right now, my focus is on stamina and being able to kick higher. I am taller and have longer legs than anyone else in class.. but I can't kick at head level. This annoys me, and I want to fix it. Right now I can kick about shoulder level with my left leg.. and chest level with my right. I rely on my roundhouse kick way too much, but I tried to throw in some sides and hooks as well. I tried to catch him with a spin side as he came into me which worked pretty well.

My forms are looking sharper and sharper every class. I think I'm better at forms than anything else. Finally a class, where I left without my leg hurting or being injured.. its a Sign!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad the hear you had a good class! You got to watch out for those pesky head shots, that's for sure. It takes some practice to keep the hands up if you're not really used to needing to keep them up.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So no brass kunckles under your gloves yet Sylo? When are you going to learn?

Seriously, get as much sparring time as you can before that guy comes back. And not powerpuff sparring. Now is the time to get as much sparring time as you can. And workout extra doing shadowboxing and foot work. As much as you can!

Deaf

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a great class and solid advice, keep the sparring going as much as possible.

SlickRick

White Belt
Reaction score
sounds good man, stay focused on your strong points and work on your weak points.

keep it up