The lost pieces

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have been involved in TKD over the last twenty five years you have probaly heard this - What happen to the lost pieces of TKD. It would not matter ITF or KKW or WTF we all have heard it. What is this thing they say, how can one loose something from an Art so young? What would it be and why do older people talk about it but never explain what it means? Who here has heard this before?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
interesting.

it adds to the lore, maybe?

Yea but has anyone really ever had the lost pieces explain to them by someone, whyis that? What make them want this type of scenirio around the Art itself.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So what exactly are the lost pieces?

I do not know but this pass weekend I heard a GM tell another BB that one day the lost pieces would be back in TKD and when the BB ask the GM smiled and said one day he will explain. What does that mean?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what exactly are the lost pieces?

I tend to hate the fortune cookie wisdom that so often passes for teaching in the martial arts. In the story Terry related, the teacher passed up the opportunity to instruct and cultivate to an audience that was probably very interested in what he had to say. What a shame. Even if he didn't think his audience was 'ready' for whatever information he had in mind, he still could have taken the chance to TEACH.

Anyway, just a pet peeve of mine. To answer your question with another one, are pieces really lost if you are not looking for them? Consider TKD from a technical side. The body hardening exercises really aren't taught any more in most dojang I have visited. I believe they are a vital part of martial arts but that's only because I have been exposed to them. What if I had not been. Is ignorance bliss?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If something is lost, you can't put it back

if you can put it back, it was not truly lost.

hmmm

sound like a chapter out of Lord of the Rings or the Neverending Story.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have "lost" hyung in Tang Soo Do....but really, they're not lost....just "misplaced" People know them, they just don't want to teach them because of the same fortune cookie crap. It is kind of disappointing that in such a huge style as TKD, you have the same thing going on....it seems like the commericial side is a lot bigger for you guys....in terms of more books, guides, common knowledge available.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like was said earl;ier...the post pieces aren't lost (yet) as there seem to be people that may know what they are...probably referring to old SD technqiues, more complete sparring, better merging of the art and the sport? I dunno.

In this case, the "lost" pieces are porbably de-emphasised and not trained much (or well). As long as there are folks alive who underwstand these aspects of the art, then there is hiope they can be re-emphasized and trained. time will tell. However, as more people leave the fold and fail to pass on knowledge...then in time the pieces will truly be lost.

Peace,
Erik

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not know but this pass weekend I heard a GM tell another BB that one day the lost pieces would be back in TKD and when the BB ask the GM smiled and said one day he will explain. What does that mean?

Sounds like a big marketing thing to me. Stick around and SOMEDAY, you might learn the secret lost stuff that others don't know.

If you were a GM, wouldn't you want your art to be complete and the most effective it could be? Come on now, if there were REALLY missing pieces why wouldn't you teach them? Here are my top three things it could be.

1) There really aren't any missing pieces and they are using it to keep students longer and add mystique to the art

2) They do have information that has been withheld, and they are going to sell it for a price to those who are worthy (by worthy, they have the money to pay)

3) They weren't lost pieces, but training that is coming from another art and has to be packaged to fit the story/history of the art (long lost grappling suddenly found, type of thing).

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never heard of any lost pieces of Tae Kwon Do. But then, I've not been in this for 25 years, either.

I don't understand how there can be pieces lost from TKD, when, like Terry already said, the art is so young.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you focus primarily on one aspect, or even several aspects, of anything - you will let other things fall by the wayside. It doesn't take very long, either.

Going by historical records (books, especially, given the time frames) there used to be a lot more Hapkido-type techniques in TKD, which were not present when I started - we had to perform a 2 minute demonstration of releases, controls, joint locks, falls, etc., for black belt, but such information was not actually in the testing requirements at any of the lower ranks, nor was there a specific curriculum for it. It was something we did rarely - perhaps several times a year. Such things have since been added back into the curriculum - but we're adding things to it as we go, as we weren't taught it as juniors; we've had to go out and learn it elsewhere and bring it back.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes and some of us still use it with TKD and still call it TKD.

Latest Discussions