Kid's self defense

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Landrovers are SUVs, and don't HAVE a proper boot to begin with.
In a CAR, you just have to pull away the carpet (it's intended for this, as it's how you change the bulbs) to gain access. You're still not likely to be able to kick out the light, but you can certainly remove the bulbs. And on many cars, the external light is held in place by large wingnuts or thumbscrews that could be removed, at which point the light will fall off. You're not going to be able to stick your hand out through the bulb-sized holes, in most cases.

Ahem, Landrovers are 4x4s not SUVs here :) they are working vehicles not sporting things. In cars in the UK the carpet doesn't hide where the lights are, there's panels or a cover over the back of the bulbs that you have to unclip/remove to get access to the bulbs.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I teach kids self-defense, I always let them know that what they are able to do will be limited unless they are training in a fighting system. My self-defense classes are different from my kung fu classes. Self-defense classes are geared towards people being able to protect themselves even though they don't train in a fighting system. For the kung fu classes, everything is geared towards fighting and not necessarily towards self-defense in a preventive environment. For the self-defense classes I focus on learning how to be aware, which is a big problem for a lot of kids in today's high tech life styles of smartphones and smart devices. Most kids today can't even pick up on shifts in the environment so they aren't "getting the feeling that someone is following them" or targeting them.

In short I teach kids
1. Awareness
2. High risk / danger recognition
3. Basic escapes and drawing attention
4. The reality of the world. How you dress, walk, act, carry yourself does matter.
5. How to walk away, how to retreat, and how to allow someone to save face.
6. How to use the surrounding environment to evade
7. How to let it go (kids who get into arguments when they should just let it go
8. Basic punch and Basic front kick.
7. The difference between self-defense and fighting. Sometimes they are the same but a lot of times the self-defense starts before a fight. Fights happen when everything else to prevent it has failed.
8. What to look for when picking a fighting system for learning more extensive self-defense techniques (A school that has training, conditioning, and sparring that is not based on points).

Awareness is the most important on my list and it's the only one that has saved my butt numerous times by helping me to stay out of bad situations from the beginning.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is that just addressed to girls?
Nope. I gave the same speech to boys about how they dress. For boys being dressed in "thug wear" in the wrong location usually causes them to be seen as criminals, shop lifters, and has the effect of causing police to profile them because they are dressed a certain way. For girls it was more about how guys are. When a guy sees a girl dressed in tight clothes he doesn't think "wow doesn't she look smart." Guys approach women who are dressed in tight or revealing clothes different than they would a woman who wasn't dressed that way. The speech for girls was more about a discussion of all the perverts, rapists, and other types of harassment that are encourage when they see women dressed in a certain way. Sort of like don't walk around with money hanging out of your pockets because it encourages the wrong crowd to target you.
There's a time and place for everything including how we dress. Guys tend to pick up this lesson faster

Women tend to take it personal and come out with "I can wear what ever I want." I understand woman want to look sexy and be attractive to men, but it also attracts the creeps as well. Guys know how other guys think when it comes to women dressing sexy which is why brothers watch over their sisters the way they do. I tell people to think of their safety as the world really is and not how it should be. People shouldn't make assumptions about you because of the way that you dress, but the reality is that everyone does including criminals and people who want to do harm to others.

Dave Chapelle makes it a light joke of it

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
When a guy sees a girl dressed in tight clothes he doesn't think "wow doesn't she look smart." Guys approach women who are dressed in tight or revealing clothes different than they would a woman who wasn't dressed that way. The speech for girls was more about a discussion of all the perverts, rapists, and other types of harassment that are encourage when they see women dressed in a certain way. Sort of like don't walk around with money hanging out of your pockets because it encourages the wrong crowd to target you.
There's a time and place for everything including how we dress. Guys tend to pick up this lesson faster
I'm not sure but I think you might be poking a few bears with that statement.

When a pervert decides to sexually assault a female I don't think the way she is dressed is going to be a huge factor. You would have to check the statistics on sexual assaults versus fashion choice to determine if it is a factor at all. In any case "she was dressed sexy" is just an excuse not a reason.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions