Teaching my neighbor's kids self defense

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations!

I have been teaching my neighbor's kids (10 yrs and two 12 yrs) some self defense. They have learned some basic punches (vertical and horizontal), hammerfist, backfist, elbow strikes with the hand against the sternum, elbow sandwiches, basic knee strikes using the hips, basic kicks, ear slaps and twists, eye sweeps and gouges, and biting.

We just started doing some simple combos:
right elbow sandwich to the temple
back right elbow strike to the nose
two hand pull on same side of opponent's neck for a knee in the face, gut, or groin

ear slap, twist away from you, pull toward your hip

palm strike up the nose
rake down the face
backfist to the nose
elbow sandwich

We do some scenarios where I grab them (wrist, bear hug, strangles) and they have to react. We also went over what to do if you have a backpack and need to run (dump the backpack). Trying to think up things that may happen to them at school and in real life as well. They got the running down pat.
icon10.gif

Other drills I attack (punch or kick) right at them and they move off the center line with a counter.

Now I want them to experience tunnel vision, adrenaline rush, and everything else the body through in a fight. None of us have sparring gear. The way I was trained was to fight, so I could feel what the real thing may resemble, and this has helped me. Any ideas what I can do for the kids?

Maybe open hand slaps? Trying to find a way to do sparring, but don't want to alarm the parents.

Any other suggestions for drills? Developing muscle memory? Scenario ideas?

Last week we practiced breaking our falls on grass and also front rolls (from a squatting position...not doing standing yet).

This week I was thinking of reviewing the material with the kids but adding more resistance and also blocking the initial attacks they throw at me.

I have encouraged my neighbors to take their kids to a dojo for training.

Any help would be appreciated....:asian:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do some scenarios where I grab them (wrist, bear hug, strangles) and they have to react. We also went over what to do if you have a backpack and need to run (dump the backpack). Trying to think up things that may happen to them at school and in real life as well. They got the running down pat.
icon10.gif

Nothing wrong with giving kids a little knowledge providing that the parents don't object and your encouraging them to attend a dojo is also a GOOD thing..Don't forget the drill about someone attempting to pull them off a bicycle..Have them wrap their arm and legs around the bike and scream "FIRE"....It's a great attention getter..Eveybody likes to watch fire fighters...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Be sure to tell them to lok for the closest safe place to run to not just run.
while teaching them toprotect themsleves from an attacker make sure they are awear of their surrondings and who else is near by. They may need to have scenarios where more than one person is standing watching and at times have others jump into the fray but not all the time. Yo want them to be awear that others near may get involved but you do not want them knowing when the others will be attacking and you do not want them being attacked all the time by others. keep them on their toes.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Be sure to tell them to lok for the closest safe place to run to not just run.
while teaching them toprotect themsleves from an attacker make sure they are awear of their surrondings and who else is near by. They may need to have scenarios where more than one person is standing watching and at times have others jump into the fray but not all the time. Yo want them to be awear that others near may get involved but you do not want them knowing when the others will be attacking and you do not want them being attacked all the time by others. keep them on their toes.

Excellent post....

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you know break falls teach the kids these if not teach them to role and come up with their hands in a protective posistion.
A few simple wrist locks would also be helpful to them

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with giving kids a little knowledge providing that the parents don't object and your encouraging them to attend a dojo is also a GOOD thing..Don't forget the drill about someone attempting to pull them off a bicycle..Have them wrap their arm and legs around the bike and scream "FIRE"....It's a great attention getter..Eveybody like to watch fire fighters...
Teach them to yell -- and to make it clear when they yell that someone taking them or assaulting them IS NOT their parent. I'm sure we've all seen a kid throwing a tantrum and being dragged out of a store by a parent (though not as often today as I'd prefer...) Lots of people won't get involved unless it appears the kid is being severely beaten. But -- if it's clear that the kid might be being abducted, they're more likely to help.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teach them to yell -- and to make it clear when they yell that someone taking them or assaulting them IS NOT their parent. I'm sure we've all seen a kid throwing a tantrum and being dragged out of a store by a parent (though not as often today as I'd prefer...) Lots of people won't get involved unless it appears the kid is being severely beaten. But -- if it's clear that the kid might be being abducted, they're more likely to help.

I forgot that and that is a MOST important tip...Thanks jks...

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
With Parental permission, teaching basic self defence is a wonderful thing for someone to do for a young child, as long as you rememmber to instill values and morals into there training. In the children's classes that I teach I stress the dojo Kun...that way they are always thinking of them whenever they throw any kind of punch kick, or any other technique...

Instilling values into our students is what seperates us from the adverage self-defence instructors

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hawke,
Do you operate a martial arts school?
I am asking because things like what you are doing quiet often snowball. In other words, if you aren't running a school now, you may be doing it soon.
;-)

AoG

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think you can add sparring under the circumstances you've given - certainly not all out sparring - and as far as your neighbors taking the kids to a dojo... why should they, when their friendly neighbor is already training them for free? :)

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been teaching my neighbor's kids (10 yrs and two 12 yrs) some self defense.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to take a different position on this one. Are you a Black Belt, or certified instructor in any Martial Art? I mean this with absolutely no disrespect to you, but if not, then I don't believe you should be teaching your neighbor's kids. If you were a trained instructor, you wouldn't be coming on the internet to get suggestions on what to do, therefore it is not likely that you will be imparting the knowledge accurately.

It is certainly appropriate for any adult to remind kids of the dangers of talking to strangers, going anywhere with anyone their parents didn't give them permission to, or taking food/drink/candy from anyone unless their parents have given the ok. Teaching kids to be "street-wise" is fine. Tell them the possible tricks that child abductors use to lure kids away from safety. Tell them what to do if they are approached by a stranger or a car slows down to call them over for directions. Tell them not to "help" any adult who asks them for directions, to help find a lost dog/kitten, etc. or to help carry groceries to their car.

Tell them what to do if a person (male or female) in plain clothes flashes a badge, or someone in uniform says there is an emergency (parents hurt, etc) and they have to go with them to the hospital, but the car does not look like a police car (no markings, no lightbar, etc). Tell them to stay away from that person, and demand for the "officer" to radio for a marked police car to come. If they refuse or make excuses, RUN AWAY, and go tell an adult.

Tell them to NEVER, EVER get into a car with anyone without their parent's permission, and if someone pulls them in, tell them to scratch, kick, bite, scream, press the horn, kick out windows, grab and throw the keys out the window, press down on the accelerator (for a running car), and do anything to get out (first crime scene is the abduction. Second crime scene is usually where the body is found - don't go to the Second crime scene!!!). If you want to continue doing anything with these kids, practice how to avoid dangerous situations, and how to recognize the tricks of the bad guys.

Seriously, it is too easy to think you are helping someone, when you might be given them false hope by teaching things that don't work well, are appropriate for adults, but not for kids, or just teaching incorrectly. If you are qualified teacher, then forget what I said (liability aside - your neighbors and best friends will still sue you if their child gets accidentally hurt - don't think they won't). Also, are the parents present at all times? If not, one kid making allegations of sexual abuse (real or false) can land you in a lot of trouble!

I suggest you stick with verbal advice, and recommend that the parents sign the kids up at an accredited academy with a reputable certified instructor who has years of experience, and plenty of insurance.

Respectfully,
Chief Master D.J. Eisenhart

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your advice.

Extremely well thoughtout tips.

I will do "stranger danger" in the next workout.

Having people on the sidelines then joining in the fight or just standing there is a drill I totally forgot. Definitely implement that soon.

I totally did not think about the bicycle scenario. That will open up some interesting levels of play.

I like the idea of the kids running to a safe destination.

I do not have a studio. I am not an instructor.

We do talk about fighting. The importance of being humble and not to confuse meekness with weakness. While we are here we should make this place better. Polite behavior and kind words can make another person's day brighter.

I want the kids at a dojo so the kids can have pads to hit and train with other people besides me. Currently we train on a dirt ground and use the grassy area to practice our breakfalls and rolls.

Thank you everyone for your contribution....:asian:

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Last Fearner,

Thank you for your advice. We do go over some tricks others use to grab kids (like the guy in a clown suit who likes to perform magic tricks by tying you up).

I do have one parent with me at all times (one of the conditions I requested). I used to be a preschool teacher and do not want my position compromised.

I have studied the MA for about 20 years, but that doesn't make me good. The refinements are more important than the number of years studied. I am not an instructor. I enjoy studying the MA, but do not consider myself a master.

I have heard of others that have taken Air Karate, Tae Bo or a women's self defense class and they get a false sense of security. The moves I am teaching them are geared for adults. I am not aware of any child specific moves.

A foolish man scorns wise advice, while a wiseman will learn from it.
Better stings from a friend than sweet kisses from an enemy.

Thank you Chief Master D.J. Eisenhart.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do not have a studio. I am not an instructor.

I want the kids at a dojo so the kids can have pads to hit and train with other people besides me. Currently we train on a dirt ground and use the grassy area to practice our breakfalls and rolls.

Greetings Last Fearner,

I have studied the MA for about 20 years, but that doesn't make me good. The refinements are more important than the number of years studied. I am not an instructor. I enjoy studying the MA, but do not consider myself a master.

A couple of practical issues leap to mind, reading this. Like liability. One of these kids gets hurt practicing with you -- how are you protected?

You say you're not an instructor, but have been training for 20 years. I don't know if that means you've bounced between schools a lot, or because you haven't bothered to go down the route for certification as an instructor in your style, or because you studied for a little while and have been practicing that and learning from videos and books... Or something else. But it does say that you lack the endorsement of a formal training program as an instructor. Which means that you may not know some of the important differences between teaching something and learning it... It's just something to think about...

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awareness and self respect are more importent then any physical material. In my oppion atleast.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It is good that you want to help kids learn self-defense.

You can get sue if one of those kids uses a technique that you taught them on another child (get hurt/hospitalize).

Liabilty today can get expense. You may want to consider three things? Have them sign up at martial art school.

Or get martial art insurance policy. Teach at home ( if charging/ becomes a businesess, check with you local laws? ..if you home can be use to commercial martial art school.

Or stop teaching!

20 years? of training? How serious were you? Anyone can teach anything? ...are you sure you know how to teach a complete art or just here and there stuffs?

Proper training and correct training....20 years? you should know?

L I A B I L I T Y = Talk to a local lawyer first! ...or you will need one sooner or later?

Latest Discussions