Kicks Speed vs. Punches Speed

sturmgewehr

White Belt
Reaction score
I've opened this thread also in another forum, I have talked and discussed this thread with many other users so I thought I wanted to open this thread here too, this seems like a Nice forum and I would like to get members' opinions on this matter.

So, Punches are obviously Faster when you punch someone to the head but what about Kicks, when you low kick someone or middle kicks, you see many Muay Thai Fighters kick so fast even with high kicks.

Also about the Power, Kicks should generate more power, I don't know how much power can a high kick have but a middle kick and a low kick must have a lot of power.

What do you people think???

Argument 1:

Punches hit faster because the weight of the limb moving is lower, and the distance from A to B is shorter.

but there is more power behind a kick which pretty much will add up to it's speed, I agree about the distance though.

What do you think about this ???? Talking about the speed measured.

[yt]Gw4EoWi5QSM[/yt]

one of those Guy's kick was measured to be 130+ Miles per Hour or 210+ Kilometers per hour, the other guy had 99 Miles per Hour 155+ Kilometers per Hour the other guy had 71 Miles per Hour and the Muay thai guy also had a speed of 125 0r 130 Miles per hour.

Wonder how fast a punch can travel!!!!????

I just found this, I don't know how accurate it is.

[yt]1BUpqHUuRHs[/yt]

So if that boxer's Punch can accelerate faster than a drag race car that means his speed should be something like 100+ Miles per hour, I was trying to research something about this found some facts that is why I am saying this, I would like to see someone give his own opinion and disprove my claims if I am wrong, so please feel free cuz I am very curious about this.

OK I ran into this Vid where it shows Brandon vera throwing 2 High Kicks, one of those Kicks was delivered at a 1.22 sec and the other was delivered at 1.55 sec, taking into account that Brandon Vera is not even remotely the right person to be tested for kick speed I would say that there are Muay Thai or Kickboxers that can throw a High Kick faster than that, maybe 0.3 sec.

Also from all this I would guess that Low kicks and Middle Kicks MUST be way faster than High Kicks since they have less distance to travel they are easier to throw and you don't have to lift the leg as high as when you throw a HK.

[yt]xVV2F984bxQ&NR=1[/yt]

Check this vid where George St Pierre can kick Faster than he can punch and so do most of kickboxers or ESPECIALLY Nak Muay Thais, the only people that can punch Faster than THEY can kick are boxers cuz of course they can't kick at all.

[yt]FzmUhhB8SmA[/yt]

That you have to balance yourself before you throw a kick is a bunch of nonsense cuz you can't do that, there is no balance when u throw a kick, u stand in your Muay Thai Stance or Usual Kickboxing stance and u just shoot for a kick and when you throw the kick then you are out of balance since you are in one leg and I don't know if u been following kickboxing or Muay Thai but if u get caught with a punch or push kick while throwing a kick you will be flying like a bag of potatoes.

you don't need to balance yourself when throwing a kick cuz there is no balance once one of your legs is up and thrown with full power to crush bones.

And Yes I have trained Kickboxing before, not a pro but enough, and you don't need to train Kickboxing to know how kickboxing works, if you are careful enough and follow the sport enough u will see how it works.

Maybe High Kicks need to be set a little bit I mean set your balance but Low Kicks don't really need to be set or middle kicks cuz it is easier to throw, the hardest part of throwing a kick is the technique, if you master it you will be throwing kicks very fast and reflexive just like Nak Muay Thais do.

if u ask me I think Nak Muay Thais or Kickboxers can throw low kicks as fast as a boxer can punch if not faster, the leg has bigger muscles uses more energy and in the end the leg has greater impact which usually proves that the Greater the force the kick thrown the greater the power and more speed of course.

Shogun Rua Punches with 25 Mph whereas he kicks with a speed of almost 40 MPH

[yt]Ap73wQL5ReU[/yt]

I contacted this Physics professor names Rhett Allain Associate Professor
Ph.D., North Carolina State University and I asked him about the speed of a kick and all this sport and Science stuff that has been going on on TV and so on.

this is what I wrote him

ME:
Greetings professor Allain, I have been searching some random facts about the Science and Physics behind Martial arts, I ran into your blogs and I saw you have some pretty good explanations and you are using formulas to calculate different kicks and stuff like that.

Mr. Allain I was wondering if you could explain me how the physics behind this work and are those data that those guys form Fight and Science or Sport Science accurate, I mean when they measure the PSI of a kick and punch or the speed of a kick and punch, is the measurement of a kick and punch in those commercial shows accurate or not ?????

I was interested to know from these videos I am about to post you if you could tell me what is faster in terms of mph and object displacement, so what is faster in terms of MPH a Punch or a Kick and what is faster in terms of second or parts of the second of the limb displacement.

Kicks seem to be more powerful, more powerful should mean faster since power is gained through acceleration and velocity, isn't it ?

this are the VIdeos I have been watching and they somehow got me confused:

YouTube - ‪Fight Science Kick Test (Capoeira, Karate, Muaythai & Taekwondo)‬‏

YouTube - ‪On Sports Science, Boxer Vs. Snake, Part 2‬‏

YouTube - ‪Sport Science looks at Machida vs Shogun with Brandon Vera‬‏

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzmUhhB8SmA&feature=player_embedded

So this is the case, there is this Boxer who used to be some kind of middle weight Champ and they are comparing the speed of his punch with the speed of a snake bite, they said his punch speed was 30 - 35 feet per second which in MPH will be something like 20 - 25 MPH.

In the videos where they compare kicks of different martial arts they measure kicks with speed of 70 Mp ( slowest one ), and the fastest one was 136 MPH.

Is this true ???? how accurate is this.

it seems that a kick is 4 - 5 times faster than a punch.

Please do some explaining if you have the time for it.

Thank you in Advance :)

Rhett Allain:
Yes, fight science seems to be quite popular. However, there is a problem. How exactly do you quantify an impact? I am not really sure about the best answer. Fight Science seems to continue to make things up (like the speed of the kick). However, these are only part of the equation.

PSI of the kick and stuff like that don't do it either. If I had to measure one thing, it would be the acceleration of the person getting kicked. That is the best I can think of.

As to the question of the speed. I think those speeds seem to be realistic as they are easy to measure.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Rhett

So after watching all those videos from fight and Science I got really confused when I saw that the speed of Chad Dawson's punch which was something over 30 feet/sec which in MPH would be something between 20 - 25 mph and the speed of those guys' kicks was 70mph, 100mph and the fastest 135 mph which means a kick is faster than a punch.

I also posted in this thread where they measure Brandon Veras head kick in terms of seconds and his hick kick was measured 1.22 sec, now taking into account that Brandon Vera is not really the adequate guy to be tested for a high kick and high kicks are usually slower than low and middle kicks due to the distance they have to travel.

I guess low and middle kicks are as fast or even faster than punches.

The last emails we exchanged with Professor Rhett Allain:

ME:

So from what I understand you are saying that the VIdeos I sent where they measured the speed of a Kick above 100 MPH and the speed of a punch somewhere 25 - 30 MPH is true and not biased and measured precisely.

if the speed of a Kick is 100 MPH that means that the leg is faster than the arm, isn't it???

I have been talking to many people that watch and some practice Martial Arts and it seems that there is a quite big misconception when it comes to what is faster a Kick or a Punch, most of them say a Punch is faster and when I watched those Videos I saw that a kick seems to be faster.

How do you define faster??? and is what I said true or not???

Thank you one more time :)

Greetings

Rhett Allain:

I think it is safe to say that the foot is faster than the hand (rather than leg and arm) because if the leg is moving in a circular motion, different parts will be going at different speeds. The end will be the fastest. Also, since the leg is longer, it will make the end go faster.

If you are talking about fast as in speed, then the above should be true (and also pretty easy to measure). Some people may say a punch is faster. What they might mean is that it takes a shorter time from start to finish. However, it goes a shorter distance so that might not mean faster.

about him saying that the foot is faster than the whole leg is true because it was proven with Brandon Vera's kick, when he high kicked with the foot it was faster than when he kicked with his shin.

So in the end the myth is busted, all people here saying kicks are slow were wrong, besides measuring the speed or a kick is an easy thing with those speedometers or accelerometers they tie around the fighter's leg, Kicks from guys relatively not important in the sport of Muay Thai and generally in the kicking department measured 70 MPH up to 135 MPH, Chad Dwason's punch who is a pretty decent boxer was measured 25 MPH max.

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are you asking? Do you want to know the ultimate speed of a punch or kick, or the time from launch to connect? Or do you think both are important? Which do you consider most effective in a kick, high or low. I was taught that Hapkido masters preferred mid to low kicks as they can be delivered faster. Maybe that answers your question. You have so much in your question, it gets a little confusing, at least to me. Maybe others can answer you better.

OP
S

sturmgewehr

White Belt
Reaction score
First of all thanks for taking your time to respond to my thread :)

Basically I wanna know all of that, I have posted my question then I have posted various answers I got to my question.

Kicks in those videos measured in the lab seemed to come in different speed and were faster than the fist or punch in terms of miles per hour.

So basically I wanna know if someone here knows what is faster in terms or Speed, Velocity and acceleration and the FROM LAUNCH TO CONNECT thing.

Can there be used any programs to see how fast is a kick in terms or seconds from Launch to connect.

I think Professor Allain said that Kicks have higher speed, velocity and I think he even said higher acceleration.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I have a top of the line radio controlled car and a porsche and have them race 50 feet, the RC can beat the porsche. Is the RC faster? In this test, yes it is. If I change the track to a one mile course which will be faster? The porsche because it can go faster top end speed than the RC car. The RC car reaches it's top end speed faster, but it is slower overall.

Now apply this to your kicks vs. punches question. The punch is "faster" because your fist to his face is a short track and it will accelerate faster and get their faster. Now, the kick may have a higher top end speed because it is using centrifugal force (roundkick) and a long track so it can get higher speeds because of the distance traveled.

Now, get a highly trained puncher and a highly trained kicker and have them stand in their ready position in striking range of the target and have the puncher throw a punch at the target, now have the other person throw a kick at the target, which do you think will get their faster? Now, it gets back to the short track analogy. The punch has faster acceleration so it gets to the target quicker. That is what people usually are referring to, not top end speed.

OP
S

sturmgewehr

White Belt
Reaction score
But the Kick has Higher Speed.

it travels faster than the fist plus the kick has to travel a longer distance ( when talking about High Kicks ), I believe low kicks are faster than punches due to the short distance they travel, even Middle kicks can be as fast if not faster than punches.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on what the style is and the delivery system.
In the Wing Chun arsenal the fastest and most direct kick is the low heel kick to the shin or knee cap , it travels straight from the floor directly to the target with no pre-movement or wasted motion.

Even though it is a very fast kick with a minimum of movement , it still lags behind the speed of a Wing Chun punch.
My late Sifu could punch at the rate of ten punches a second and could chain kick at three different low kicks a second.

Like with Punishers analogy the legs have far more mass and take longer to accelerate than the hands.
There is a reason why Wing Chun mainly relies on the hands , they are always going to be faster , more coordinated and dexterous than the legs.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
But the Kick has Higher Speed.

it travels faster than the fist plus the kick has to travel a longer distance ( when talking about High Kicks ), I believe low kicks are faster than punches due to the short distance they travel, even Middle kicks can be as fast if not faster than punches.

Reread what I wrote again. The "kick has a higher speed" so what? The punch is already there before a kick can get to it's top speed.

Look at "fighting ranges" if you are at the optimal punching range you are closer to the target. Less distance=faster.

Let's use ANOTHER analogy...

Traveler A lives 3 miles from his destination and gets there walking in an hour
Traveler B lives 1000 miles from his destination and gets there flying in 2 hours

Who got there first?
Which one was faster?
Which one got there faster?

Even in a low kick there is more distance to travel to be in optimal/effectice range, so the punch will get there quicker to the target.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Define "speed" or "faster" in this context...

The definition of speed I use IN MY MARTIAL ARTS CLASS is "how fast the weapon covers the distance to the target." In that sense, kicks are often slower because they often have more distance to cover to the target. It's a relative term, however. (By the way, I qualified where this definition applies for a reason. In crash reconstruction, we use a different definition of "speed", for example.)

Think about a bicycle or car wheel or old fashioned record. They all move at a constant number of revolutions per minute at any given moment, right? In other words -- the whole wheel makes a revolution in the same time, whether that's 45 RPM or 200 RPM. But... the outside edge is much longer than the inside edge, right? So... the outside actually turns faster than the inside; it covers more ground in the same amount of time.

One other note on balance... Kicking requires balance. If you are not balanced and you don't maintain that standing balance dynamically, when you kick and impact something, you'll fall over. Imagine firing a shotgun while wearing rollerskates... In the same way, if you kick willy-nilly, without balance, you'll go down, not your opponent.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both Punches, and Kicks, can be fast as hell if well trained. But ultimately, a Punch often has a shorter distance to cover, and as such, is technically faster. However, even if a Kick is faster than a punch, it has more distance it needs to cover.

And Kicks can generate more power, due to rotation and various other physical traits.

The better question should always be which technique is best suited to the situation at hand. If for example, you see an opening for a kick, you dont punch because you think itll be faster.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Speed in striking arts is a favorite subject of mine. Kind of hard to write out, though.

As for MPH speed, I don't think it's all that important. If a punch/kick starts out slowly, even if it eventually increases to a high MPH, tactically it's useless. It's just too easy to see coming. It's also a very difficult thing to measure or compare strikes in the various arenas in which they reside. I've trained with boxers who had very fast hands. But to measure their speed against Karate men who are also very fast, is difficult to do. The striking is different. Some Wing Chun/JKD guys I've trained with are just blazing fast, but the distance and application of their strikes is different from the boxer and different from the Karateka. There is also the speed of a "counter puncher" to address. Counter punchers can give you fits because their timing speed is usually off the charts. I have no idea what the actual MPH speed of their strikes might be, but they tear you up.

Kicking is another matter. The speed and timing of a front leg kick is obviously different than the speed and timing of a kick from the back leg. And either of them in a combination with punches is different again.

Maybe it would be easier to break down the question to one thing at a time? (I'm game if you are.)

Heck of a post for a thread opener, though. :)

OP
S

sturmgewehr

White Belt
Reaction score
Depends on what the style is and the delivery system.
In the Wing Chun arsenal the fastest and most direct kick is the low heel kick to the shin or knee cap , it travels straight from the floor directly to the target with no pre-movement or wasted motion.

Even though it is a very fast kick with a minimum of movement , it still lags behind the speed of a Wing Chun punch.
My late Sifu could punch at the rate of ten punches a second and could chain kick at three different low kicks a second.

Like with Punishers analogy the legs have far more mass and take longer to accelerate than the hands.
There is a reason why Wing Chun mainly relies on the hands , they are always going to be faster , more coordinated and dexterous than the legs.

Depending on the style of course, Usually when talking about kicks people mean Muay Thai, Kyukoshin Karate, Dutch Kickboxing and when talking about Punching of course boxing.

I highly doubt 10 punches per second can do any damage to anyone rather than score points in a competition.

Reread what I wrote again. The "kick has a higher speed" so what? The punch is already there before a kick can get to it's top speed.

Look at "fighting ranges" if you are at the optimal punching range you are closer to the target. Less distance=faster.

Let's use ANOTHER analogy...

Traveler A lives 3 miles from his destination and gets there walking in an hour
Traveler B lives 1000 miles from his destination and gets there flying in 2 hours

Who got there first?
Which one was faster?
Which one got there faster?

Even in a low kick there is more distance to travel to be in optimal/effectice range, so the punch will get there quicker to the target.

yeah that is kind of logical of course but when talking about Kicks, low kicks are also close to the target, the lead leg of your opponent with your front leg, middle kicks maybe have longer distance to travel but so do body punches so I would guess because of the way Higher speed of the Kick to the body the body kick > body punch.

and u also said a punch accelerates faster which I don't think is all that true plus even if it accelerates faster it doesn't mean it is faster than a kick, plus who can accelerate more the kick that has more distance to cover or the punch, in this case the kick can accelerate more since it has more distance to cover, so it seems that a kick is faster in sense of Acceleration and speed ( mph ) and velocity plus speed has very little to do with acceleration and the rest since Speed
is a scalar quantity that refers to "how fast an object is moving." Speed can be thought of as the rate at which an object covers distance.

The measured speed of a leg kick in those vids and punches was different, actually very different that I don't think it really matters how fast the punch accelerates since it won't reach the speed of the kick cuz it has very little distance to travel.

Define "speed" or "faster" in this context...
The definition of speed I use IN MY MARTIAL ARTS CLASS is "how fast the weapon covers the distance to the target." In that sense, kicks are often slower because they often have more distance to cover to the target. It's a relative term, however. (By the way, I qualified where this definition applies for a reason. In crash reconstruction, we use a different definition of "speed", for example.)

Think about a bicycle or car wheel or old fashioned record. They all move at a constant number of revolutions per minute at any given moment, right? In other words -- the whole wheel makes a revolution in the same time, whether that's 45 RPM or 200 RPM. But... the outside edge is much longer than the inside edge, right? So... the outside actually turns faster than the inside; it covers more ground in the same amount of time.

One other note on balance... Kicking requires balance. If you are not balanced and you don't maintain that standing balance dynamically, when you kick and impact something, you'll fall over. Imagine firing a shotgun while wearing rollerskates... In the same way, if you kick willy-nilly, without balance, you'll go down, not your opponent.

So you saying that because the leg is longer it is faster than the hand, that is what Professor Allain said as well.

That bicycle analogy has something to do with the size of the limb???

Both Punches, and Kicks, can be fast as hell if well trained. But ultimately, a Punch often has a shorter distance to cover, and as such, is technically faster.
However, even if a Kick is faster than a punch, it has more distance it needs to cover.

And Kicks can generate more power, due to rotation and various other physical traits.

The better question should always be which technique is best suited to the situation at hand. If for example, you see an opening for a kick, you dont punch because you think itll be faster.

Not all kicks have a long distance to travel, as I have mentioned above a Middle kick to the body or Body shot and a punch to the body pretty much have the same distance to travel and even if the kick has slightly more to travel it will make up because of it's higher speed.

Speed in striking arts is a favorite subject of mine. Kind of hard to write out, though.
1.As for MPH speed, I don't think it's all that important. 2. If a punch/kick starts out slowly, even if it eventually increases to a high MPH, tactically it's useless. It's just too easy to see coming. 3. It's also a very difficult thing to measure or compare strikes in the various arenas in which they reside. I've trained with boxers who had very fast hands. But to measure their speed against Karate men who are also very fast, is difficult to do. 4. The striking is different. Some Wing Chun/JKD guys I've trained with are just blazing fast, but the distance and application of their strikes is different from the boxer and different from the Karateka. There is also the speed of a "counter puncher" to address. Counter punchers can give you fits because their timing speed is usually off the charts. I have no idea what the actual MPH speed of their strikes might be, but they tear you up.

Kicking is another matter. The speed and timing of a front leg kick is obviously different than the speed and timing of a kick from the back leg. And either of them in a combination with punches is different again.

Maybe it would be easier to break down the question to one thing at a time? (I'm game if you are.)

Heck of a post for a thread opener, though. :)

1. Yes it is and we are discussing it now :).

2. not it is not useless cuz the punch won't accelerate that much because of the distance and even if it does it has a very slow speed ( 40 mph max ) compared to a kick measured 135 mph.

3. Professor Allain said it is very easy to measure the speed of a kick since they use speedometers or accelerometers and when I asked him how accurate are those guys from Sport Science with those numbers he said they are pretty accurate.

4. True but usually when talking about Martial arts we would tend to think it is either Dutch Kickboxing, Kyukoshin Karate, Muay Thai and punching from Boxing, Wing Chun and 1000 punches per second doesn't count cuz I highly doubt there is even 20% force behind those all punches accumulated than one left hook from a boxer. So we discussion Muay Thai, Dutch Kickboxing, Kyukoshin Karate ( Kicking ) and Boxing ( Punching ).

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ten punches a second is the speed that is achieved after 40 years of training , and the power is penetrating power designed to damage internal organs.
This type of force is not generated by the normal torqueing of the upper body seen in other martial arts , this power is generated from internal muscle control , relaxation and coordinating forward movement in the Wing Chun stance .

There is power in high velocity and relaxation but it must be backed up and supported by a properly developed stance , I don't know why I'm bothering to educate you in this , because you already seem to have your mind made up that boxing , thai boxing , dutch kickboxing and karate have the only methods of generating power.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok, a punch will take less time to get from stance to target because the distance is shorter and the limb is lighter.... kick is not as fast to target because its larger, heavier and has farther to go.... that is a given.... but mass times velocity squared over two equals force... so mass and muscle make a difference in a punch.. the front kick is intended to be fast and aimed low. to cripple by destroying joints and injuring other vitals... the punch is intended at least in Karate to be fast and powerful and strike vitals. there is no guarantee any single strike will end the combat and get home to do so when its for real. Karate and most of the more strait forward arts are aimed at rapid ending of the attack by multiple attackers. capoara is forced to hide it to keep the original developers from getting hanged as I understand it... it ended up not being as economical in motion, but some of the techniques it would appear use some of that extra motion to add distance to the kicks travel, and there for perhaps a bit more power... I would not choose it though for myself. others may find it works well for them. but most martial arts are more about where and how to strike, and how to lock and brake and throw to make that strike that will end it easy to deliver. in short martial arts are developed for survival, not for sport.

OP
S

sturmgewehr

White Belt
Reaction score
Ten punches a second is the speed that is achieved after 40 years of training , and the power is penetrating power designed to damage internal organs.
This type of force is not generated by the normal torqueing of the upper body seen in other martial arts , this power is generated from internal muscle control , relaxation and coordinating forward movement in the Wing Chun stance .

There is power in high velocity and relaxation but it must be backed up and supported by a properly developed stance , I don't know why I'm bothering to educate you in this , because you already seem to have your mind made up that boxing , thai boxing , dutch kickboxing and karate have the only methods of generating power.

I don't know how Wing Chun works but that is how I see it and that is how I perceive it plus there is no wing chun around here to practice so I am more exposed to Boxing and Kickboxing and I really like both of this sports.

What you say might as well be true and I am sorry for saying something that didn't make sense or was not true by my side, it is simply how I perceive it.

There is nothing more left for me than to thank you for taking your time to give part of your knowledge to me, thanks a lot :).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With all due respect to Professor Allain... if he does not spar or fight he does not know squat about kick speed or punch speed.
Again, no disrespect meant, but It would be the same as listening to a food critic who does not actually eat.

And perhaps YOU might think of Martial Arts as Dutch Kickboxing, Kyukoshin Karate, Muay Thai and punching from Boxing" but my view is a bit broader.

OP
S

sturmgewehr

White Belt
Reaction score
With all due respect to Professor Allain... if he does not spar or fight he does not know squat about kick speed or punch speed.
Again, no disrespect meant, but It would be the same as listening to a food critic who does not actually eat.

And perhaps YOU might think of Martial Arts as Dutch Kickboxing, Kyukoshin Karate, Muay Thai and punching from Boxing" but my view is a bit broader.

You don't need to spar with anyone to know about kick speed, you don't need to go to the moon to know about the moon or u don't even need to be a car maker to know how fast a car goes.

I asked professor Allain which works in North Carolina University if those Clips I have posted from Fight Science and Sport Science are accurate and if the data collected from those videos is accurate, he said that it is relatively easy to measure the speed of a kick and they are accurate even though he had a lot of stuff he didn't agree with Sport Science he still said that the acceleration measured and the speed measured there is accurate since they use accelerometers and speedometers strapped to fighters legs to measure the speed.

I don't know if u saw the clips but that is the case.

In the beginning I though it was ******** that is why I was in a quest for the answer and I ran into professor Allain, I though it was ******** that a punch has a speed of 40 mph and a kick has the speed of 135 mph since I have always thought that a punch is faster than a kick but it wasn't the case.

a Kick is obviously faster than a punch in terms of acceleration, speed and velocity but a punch is faster than a kick in terms of time ( seconds ) since a punch is closer to the body but if an object was the same distance from ur fist and leg then obviously the leg will get there first.

I have trained boxing and Kickboxing since where I come from there i no Wing Chun no Kong fu or anything, I would love to train these arts too and I know for sure 100% they have a lot to offer me as a fighter.

I am here to discuss this topic not to disrespect martial arts, I was just curious if someone knew more about the Physics behind the kick or a punch even though I have read a lot about this.

Greetings

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any1Else????
Depends. To date, you haven't exactly seemed to want discussion so much as agreement.

A foot may indeed move "faster" in raw fps than a hand -- but it may still be "slower" to reach a target. My hand is much more likely to make contact with an opponent's face than my foot, for a number of reasons mentioned by others. It may be more of a tie to hit the stomach -- but there's still much more telegraphing for most people when kicking.

As I said before -- define "speed" for your discussion.

OP
S

sturmgewehr

White Belt
Reaction score
of course I am ready to discuss but I also wanna look at the facts.

You saying a foot may move faster whereas the studies have shown that the foot actually moves faster than the hand, I don't know if u checked the videos I uploaded where they put speedometers on fighters legs to measure the speed of the kick and when they also estimate the speed of that boxers punch with 30 feet/s.

and of course I agreed on the fact that a hand is WAY faster than a foot when u wanna punch someone in the face but then below I also wanted to discuss what happens if u wanna throw a punch to the body and a kick to the body.

I would guess in that case because of the approximately the same distance a foot will be WAY faster to reach the target.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"You don't need to spar with anyone to know about kick speed, you don't need to go to the moon to know about the moon or u don't even need to be a car maker to know how fast a car goes."

Sorry, but, actually, you do need to spar to know about kick/punch speed, you really do. I mean no disrespect by this and I LOVE Fight Science and Sport Science. But if you want to know about swimming you have to get into the water. (Bruce Lee)

Latest Discussions