Creating your own custom martial arts.

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
I am wondering what fellow martial artists think about this little tutorial about creating our very own martial arts that is to be practical and functional?

As martial artists we know that martial arts is a method of using your body and limbs as a weapon, for generating power use the energy you draw from the ground as a power source rather than muscle power, don't overcommit on twisting the hip, because overcommiting the hip twist into a punch or kick ironically robs most of the speed and power from the punch and kick, instead do just the right amount of hip twist while you draw power from the ground pushing off the back leg simultaneously in one motion in your punches and kicks, if performed correctly you might notice the punches and kicks are faster and more powerful than the punches and kicks you have most likely performed before, because the power you draw from the ground through the quick push of your back leg generates alot of power ,speed, and acceleration for the striking and kicking techniques than other techniques that lack that quick push off the back leg, then once you accomplished that focus on cutting off unnecessary movements in your techniques, such as raising your knees high for kicking, instead let the kicking leg be loose so when you draw power from the back leg((which can be the kicking leg)), and do a non exaggerated hip twist the kick will be faster and more powerful and most importantly non-telegraphed, which means you can mostly likely kick your opponent without them reacting to it, because you aren't signalling your attacking intentions, the same applies in punching don't flare out your elbow or wind back to punch, instead keep your elbows tucked and while you draw power from the ground through the quick push off your back leg and a non exaggerated hip twist, punch your opponent with the 2 protruding knuckles of either fists right off the bat with none of the telegraphed movements mentioned, no winding your punches, and no flaring out your elbows and you shall see improvements in your punching ,kicking, and striking techniques in your custom martial arts, just add leg stretching for flexibility, speed training for explosive power and speed, bag work,conditioning drills, strengthening exercises, plyometrics, aerobic exercises, and if you want you can incorporate some grappling techniques borrowed from grappling martial arts, and sparring practices, and you may just have successfully created your very own functional and practical martial arts =)

Last edited:
OP
A

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
Could use some punctuation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Ah ok i will do my best to punctuate, it was a bit rushed, but overall did you like the little tutorial for martial artists like ourselves to create our very own martial arts that are practical? =)

Edit: just did my best to punctuate, hope the reading is more bearable now =)

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what fellow martial artists think about this little tutorial about creating our very own martial arts that is to be practical and functional?

As martial artists we know that martial arts is a method of using your body and limbs as a weapon, for generating power use the energy you draw from the ground as a power source rather than muscle power, don't overcommit on twisting the hip, because overcommiting the hip twist into a punch or kick ironically robs most of the speed and power from the punch and kick, instead do just the right amount of hip twist while you draw power from the ground pushing off the back leg simultaneously in one motion in your punches and kicks, if performed correctly you might notice the punches and kicks are faster and more powerful than the punches and kicks you have most likely performed before, because the power you draw from the ground through the quick push of your back leg generates alot of power ,speed, and acceleration for the striking and kicking techniques than other techniques that lack that quick push off the back leg, then once you accomplished that focus on cutting off unnecessary movements in your techniques, such as raising your knees high for kicking, instead let the kicking leg be loose so when you draw power from the back leg((which can be the kicking leg)), and do a non exaggerated hip twist the kick will be faster and more powerful and most importantly non-telegraphed, which means you can mostly likely kick your opponent without them reacting to it, because you aren't signalling your attacking intentions, the same applies in punching don't flare out your elbow or wind back to punch, instead keep your elbows tucked and while you draw power from the ground through the quick push off your back leg and a non exaggerated hip twist, punch your opponent with the 2 protruding knuckles of either fists right off the bat with none of the telegraphed movements mentioned, no winding your punches, and no flaring out your elbows and you shall see improvements in your punching ,kicking, and striking techniques in your custom martial arts, just add leg stretching for flexibility, speed training for explosive power and speed, bag work,conditioning drills, strengthening exercises, plyometrics, aerobic exercises, and if you want you can incorporate some grappling techniques borrowed from grappling martial arts, and sparring practices, and you may just have successfully created your very own functional and practical martial arts =)
It doesn’t seem to be more than a rushed attempt at an explanation of power generation- nothing there about creating a customized martial art.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is an extremely poorly written (punctuation? Paragraphs) blurb full of sort of sometimes true-mostly true generalities that read as if the author is working with mostly second hand information.

I also don't see how this relates to the title. So how do we create a martial art from this?

No offense, and nothing personal, but this is my honest impression.

OP
A

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
This is an extremely poorly written (punctuation? Paragraphs) blurb full of sort of sometimes true-mostly true generalities that read as if the author is working with mostly second hand information.

I also don't see how this relates to the title. So how do we create a martial art from this?

No offense, and nothing personal, but this is my honest impression.
The point in this tutorial is to create an efficient martial art by making adjustments to optimize the techniques you have learned and trained from prior martial arts experience((example: taekwondo,aikijutsu,boxing,etc)) and breaking them down to make the customized martial arts more practical and simplisticso you should already be able to do at least basic punches kicks and strikes, but the point is to draw power from the ground and directing that power from point A to point B in the quickest and nontelegraphed manner, and to do that you need to make adjustments to your techniques, you need to let the kick do the kick for you and same principle applies in punching, as in letting the power you draw from the ground do the punching/kicking while you keep the leg/arm loose, you generate power by doing a quick push off from the back leg rapidly which allows you to quickly direct the energy from the ground through your body through your punch/kick and into your target, think of that quick push off the ground using the back leg as a jolt rather than simply a push, and to make your punch and kick faster, you must cut off unnecessary movements, "chambering" your kicks shouldn't be a forced movement instead the power you drew from the ground will "auto chamber" for you without a conscious effort on your part, and regarding the hip twist we were taught to rotate our hips to generate power, but the hip is only a medium for the power you drew from the ground through that rapid push off from the back leg, the hip twist also shouldn't be a conscious effort it should come along naturally as you draw power from the ground using that quick jolt off the back leg,that should make your kick faster more powerful and not telegraphed, and as for the punching technique, the one i have answered in the original post was from boxing((yes i cross trained with taekwondo and boxing and some aikijutsu, not necessarily to highly advanced levels but enough to where i understand the fundamental concepts behind the striking,kicking,grappling with proficiency)) to punch without telegraphing your punches, you need to cut off movements that makes the punch easy to read,such as large shoulder movements,elbows flaring out,and unconsciously winding your punch, after doing that you can now draw power from the ground by rapidly pushing off your back leg((like a quick jolt, not a simple push)) and with your elbows tucked, with a non-forced hip twist, punch straight into your opponent with the 2 protruding knuckles of either fist all in one motion,that should make for a fast direct powerful right to the point punching technique without telegraphing the punch, and to cover grappling just about any martial arts focused on grappling such as aikijutsu ,judo,jiujitsu,etc should cover the grappling aspect, the point is to build a martial art using foundations you built through prior martial arts training, making adjustments to the techniques you have learned and trained with, to create a custom and efficient martial arts that works for you ^^

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point in this tutorial is to create an efficient martial art by making adjustments to optimize the techniques you have learned and trained from prior martial arts experience((example: taekwondo,aikijutsu,boxing,etc)) and breaking them down to make the customized martial arts more practical and simplisticso you should already be able to do at least basic punches kicks and strikes, but the point is to draw power from the ground and directing that power from point A to point B in the quickest and nontelegraphed manner, and to do that you need to make adjustments to your techniques, you need to let the kick do the kick for you and same principle applies in punching, as in letting the power you draw from the ground do the punching/kicking while you keep the leg/arm loose, you generate power by doing a quick push off from the back leg rapidly which allows you to quickly direct the energy from the ground through your body through your punch/kick and into your target, think of that quick push off the ground using the back leg as a jolt rather than simply a push, and to make your punch and kick faster, you must cut off unnecessary movements, "chambering" your kicks shouldn't be a forced movement instead the power you drew from the ground will "auto chamber" for you without a conscious effort on your part, and regarding the hip twist we were taught to rotate our hips to generate power, but the hip is only a medium for the power you drew from the ground through that rapid push off from the back leg, the hip twist also shouldn't be a conscious effort it should come along naturally as you draw power from the ground using that quick jolt off the back leg,that should make your kick faster more powerful and not telegraphed, and as for the punching technique, the one i have answered in the original post was from boxing((yes i cross trained with taekwondo and boxing and some aikijutsu, not necessarily to highly advanced levels but enough to where i understand the fundamental concepts behind the striking,kicking,grappling with proficiency)) to punch without telegraphing your punches, you need to cut off movements that makes the punch easy to read,such as large shoulder movements,elbows flaring out,and unconsciously winding your punch, after doing that you can now draw power from the ground by rapidly pushing off your back leg((like a quick jolt, not a simple push)) and with your elbows tucked, with a non-forced hip twist, punch straight into your opponent with the 2 protruding knuckles of either fist all in one motion,that should make for a fast direct powerful right to the point punching technique without telegraphing the punch, and to cover grappling just about any martial arts focused on grappling such as aikijutsu ,judo,jiujitsu,etc should cover the grappling aspect, the point is to build a martial art using foundations you built through prior martial arts training, making adjustments to the techniques you have learned and trained with, to create a custom and efficient martial arts that works for you ^^
Again, it appears to just be discussing some basic principles of power generation. Those are not really new to folks with experience. They don't tune arts into something new and customized - they are principles found (in different forms) in pretty much every art.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since your intention seems to be to have people read what you say, you might want to format your writing into sentences and paragraphs. Punctuation wouldn't hurt either.

With that out of the way, I can't help but wonder if you have ever heard of mixed martial arts.

OP
A

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
Since your intention seems to be to have people read what you say, you might want to format your writing into sentences and paragraphs. Punctuation wouldn't hurt either.

With that out of the way, I can't help but wonder if you have ever heard of mixed martial arts.
I understand english isn't my first language((vietnamese)), but i will put more effort in learning more english, and to improve on punctuation skills, and about mixed martial arts i heard of it, it is where practicioners also cross trained in several martial arts like i have with taekwondo, boxing, aikijutsu, etc right? If so yes i have heard of mixed martial arts, but going into highly public events while wearing nothing but shorts doesn't seem to appeal to me you see((comfortable wearing dobok, or at least a shirt))

OP
A

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
Again, it appears to just be discussing some basic principles of power generation. Those are not really new to folks with experience. They don't tune arts into something new and customized - they are principles found (in different forms) in pretty much every art.
there is more to it than just power generation, things like timing and avoid telegraphing your punch,kick,and strikes and cutting out unneeded movements to increase the delivery speed of your punching kicking and striking techniques is also very important, however i forgot to mention evasion work in the tutorial which is better to make use of than blocks whenever possible.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is more to it than just power generation, things like timing and avoid telegraphing your punch,kick,and strikes and cutting out unneeded movements to increase the delivery speed of your punching kicking and striking techniques is also very important, however i forgot to mention evasion work in the tutorial which is better to make use of than blocks whenever possible.
Yes. And every art I'm aware of has at least some components of those things. The information you provide is generic, and really not about creating a custom art.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand english isn't my first language((vietnamese)), but i will put more effort in learning more english, and to improve on punctuation skills, and about mixed martial arts i heard of it, it is where practicioners also cross trained in several martial arts like i have with taekwondo, boxing, aikijutsu, etc right? If so yes i have heard of mixed martial arts, but going into highly public events while wearing nothing but shorts doesn't seem to appeal to me you see((comfortable wearing dobok, or at least a shirt))
Cool. I'm sure your English is much better than my Vietnamese, but then again I'm not trying to give a tutorial in that language.

As has been mentioned, what you are talking about is something most serious martial arts to already do, especially in mma.

Here in North America mma is already quite popular, and entails everything you just described. What you are talking about isn't creating a new art, it's learning how to fight.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll be honest. I only read the first few sentences.

Having perfect punctuation isn't important. Separate each sentence with a period, and if there is a point in the middle of a sentence where you might pause, use a comma. Other than that, it's not about having perfect grammar so much as it is separating and connecting ideas. If you don't use everything right that's okay, it just makes it more readable. One thing I do is put 2 spaces after each sentence. People say you don't have to do that anymore, but I find it still helps.

Paragraphs are a good way to do this. You'll notice most of the other posts in this thread have done that. Even I've done that. Each paragraph discusses a different thought. Or sometimes if a single thought is too long, you can extend it to multiple paragraphs. It gives your readers a bit of a break, and also helps give them a frame of reference for where they are in the sheet. My first paragraph talked about how much I read. It didn't need much more. My second paragraph talked a little about punctuation.

But my third paragraph, about paragraphs ironically, was getting a little long. It's easy to keep your eyes on the line when you're only a couple lines up or down from the paragraph break (the line between paragraphs). But it gets a lot harder when there are...14 lines in a huge block of text, which is what shows up in your original post. This is why when my paragraph was starting to get a little bit longer than I'd like, I cut it into 2 pieces.

OP
A

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
Cool. I'm sure your English is much better than my Vietnamese, but then again I'm not trying to give a tutorial in that language.

As has been mentioned, what you are talking about is something most serious martial arts to already do, especially in mma.

Here in North America mma is already quite popular, and entails everything you just described. What you are talking about isn't creating a new art, it's learning how to fight.
ah yes you seem to be right, the whole tutorial i made is more like mixed martial arts, and also more about refining and optomizing the martial arts techniques you have learned to be more practical for fighting which is essentially what mixed martial arts is about,rather than creating an entirely new martial art.

i apologize for not being able to distinguish the differences between the refinement of martial arts techniques we have learned and that of creating an entirely new martial art, oh and skribbs thank you for the lesson in making paragraphs and punctuation, it is very helpful. ^^

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That is one long run-on sentence. So what is your question?

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score

I am not trying to be rude to you, but the answer to your question is NO, we don't need a new martial art. Many people have spent their lives developing their Martial Art. Your time would be better spent finding the best Martial Artist instructor you can find and practice. if you train many years with the right instructor, you will not want a new martial art. I do think it is a good Idea not to learn only one martial. Learning a different Martial Art from an amazing instructor will improved your abilities greatly. All the great Martial Artist knew other arts besides the one they teach.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that after a certain point a martial artist should have grown in his study that his art has become "customized" to himself and, in a way, unique. Before that, as he begins his learning, it works best to have a pattern to follow.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The point in this tutorial
Oh, a tutorial? Never mind then. I don't need it and the folks that do need one aren't in a place where they know enough that they can or should "create" a personalized martial art.

Most of the time that I see this sort of question, it's coming from a pretty young person who ultimately want to be a "master" or progenitor of a style and be venerated for that after watching too many Shaw Brothers movies.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
These things are foundational to, literally, every martial art.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
A

Ascendingsoul

White Belt
Reaction score
I think that after a certain point a martial artist should have grown in his study that his art has become "customized" to himself and, in a way, unique. Before that, as he begins his learning, it works best to have a pattern to follow.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Hi iklawson you are correct in some ways, but there are times when a martial artist would want to create a more simplified and practical version of the arts they have learned, making adjustments and refinements to the techniques they have trained with.

what i mean by simplifying their martial arts to make it more practical, i am refering to cutting out impractical techniques such as the tornado kick, high side kick, hook kick and opting for more practical kicks such as the front kick, low roundhouse kick to the shin, a roundhouse kick to an unguarded head, knee kick against opponents that attempt takedowns, and as for striking techniques cutting out reverse punch and spear hands, and then opt for a straight punch with the fore knuckles to the body, a palm strike to the head , elbow strikes against opponents that managed to get in close range for grappling

those kinds of simplifications and adjustments to their martial arts fighting style, and the thing you said about watching movies, i don't watch movies, i still attend classes in taekwondo with vietnamese taekwondo grandmaster Dang Huy Duc as a brown belt and i do Tenshikai Aikijutsu under vietnamese aikido master Dang Thong Phong as blue belt((you can look both of my masters up)) and i do attend a boxing gym as to cover the punches that taekwondo barely has((covering the aspects of punching and kicking by training in both boxing and taekwondo, and grappling covered by aikijutsu)).

with that aside although my rankings are not first dan black belt and above, i have already understood the concepts and have great deal proficiency in striking kicking and punching, i even made adjustments that they don't explicitly teach in class, such as not forcing the leg into a chamber position but rather allowing the kicking leg to auto chamber and fire by the power you draw from the ground, allowing the hip to rotate by itself as you perform the kicking and striking techniques rather than doing it manually, boxing is perfect as it is for punching, because it covers that you draw power from the ground, but more importantly how to not telegraph your punches unlike what we would do in taekwondo.

but the main point is you create a martial that suits your needs for each aspect and be able to apply them in serious situations such as a life threatening situations, but however i do respect that one needs prior martial arts experience before they can think about combining their martial arts styles they have learned =)