Kata and Forms...?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally doubt that it would be possible. Far far too many variables, to do adequate control in order to get meaningful data.

and even if we could get meaningful data, what good would it be? Some people just hate it and wouldn't do it even if the date suggested it was absolutely the best method. Others love kata, and would do it even if the data suggested that it was completely worthless.

Hello, WE agree with you on this one!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Biting Kata.....starts...with the upper teeth....move left...bite...reverse right...step and bite....this is the Long form...( 5 of them)...

Alligator, White Shark and Tiger styles...shown....See More martial arts....dot com. ..just kidding here...Aloha

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm kind of meh on kata. How's that for a mature-sounding sentence? :D :D

Kata is not my favorite. I can see the value in some of it. I don't love it like many folks do, but I don't get personally repulsed by the notion of it either.

I also do not think that my own view of kata should shape anyone else's view. Just because I'm not fond of it doesn't mean that it is worthless, it just is not my cup of tea at this point in my journey.

The way I see it, it is one tool out of many. It is not my favorite tool to use, but there are times when it is the best possible choice for the job I need doing.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello,

Would like to get an idea of the importance that is placed on kata and forms by the various practitioners, and systems, represented here.

On another forum the subject was brought up. Looking for more input.

Kata/Forms:

1) Necessary?
2) Very useful? < I will take this one
3) Somewhat useful?
4) Slightly useful?
5) Totally useless?

If so, or not, why???

Trying to find the "general" consensus.

Thanks, in advance for your assistance and input!

Milt G.

I voted #2 because yes, they are very useful.

If you are teaching a traditional system (traditional karate ryu, Kukkiwon or Chang Hon taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, etc.) then they are essential if you intend to call what you do by the name of that art; if you say that you practice Shotokan but do not teach any of the kata, then you really are not practicing Shotokan.

If you are simply trying to train students in the martial arts, kata are useful because they aid the student, particularly a raw beginner, to move in different stances, transition between stances, and chain techniques together in combination.

Kata also make a good teaching tool because they allow an instructor a fair means in addition to sparring and drills to evaluate a student.

In schools where kata are taught with zero application and simply as a patern for the student to memorize so that they can demonstrate it at a belt test, the student still benefits somewhat, but not nearly so much as when applications are taught.

To make a great fighter or person capable of defending themselves, kata is not essential or necessary. But it is a useful tool. Used correctly, it is a very useful tool.

Daniel

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i will say very useful and not essential as perhaps a better teacher than myself can do without them.

the reason is training the basics of alignment and movement. techniques in forms are fun but secondary to the benefit of training the basics. Hitting something and two person drills can and does often result in poor mechanics if done without good correction and a great deal of practice in body alignment and mechanics. This is why some will find that when thier strength is gone or age slows them down they are ineffective fighters and others can go on much longer effectively. Forms are the heart of self defense in this respect. Yet the skills / basics learned and practiced through forms still needs to be tested with a partner and under duress (?)

my thoughs from shaolin kempo

Marlon

Latest Discussions