just took my first lesson in enshin karate

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if there are any schools in the US, let alone Denver.

At any rate, I think I'm going to try an Enshin class myself in the next little while. I'll have to keep you all updated.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
please do. i think it would have made a terrific foundation style for my goals, but at this point it just felt like a step back. not in terms of skill, but in terms of options.

jf

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
shortest distance between two points, my man. old habits die hard. :p

there's also the issue of not being able to grab both sides of the opponent's gi when attempting a throw. i thought judo had a lot of grip restrictions!

jf

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
you mean you don't keep your hands in front of your face? *gasp*

jf

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry it didn't work out for you Jarrod, but glad you still like and respect the system. In my old (similar to Enshin) training we didn't have head strikes either, but there were no real restrictions on throws (for those of us cross training in small circle Jiu-Jitsu at the school). I also often thought about the no head strikes on my own and would practice seperately for using them, and when I would spar with other people outside the school, I would intentionally practice head strikes. I've never really had any problems with it in practice.

MilkManX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I can see how that would be hard to unlearn.

At my Enshin dojo we do knockdown rules 90% of the time.

Sometimes we do self defence and there are no rules(its a controlled situation though but still) where head punching and 2 sided throws are in.

Its not perfect but what it does it does very well and I enjoy it.

Yeah when I come to Denver next year I will let you know.

Osu!