Looking for instructional content on Karate takedowns

Good stuff! Very Okinawan looking in his fighting techniques: Quick combos, close-in attacks, upright stance... Many of his techniques are found in kata, much to the dismay of those who maintain kata is not for combat. Modern Shotokan can use more of his influence, IMO. Asai reminds me of a young Funakoshi. He's not so much "revolutionary" as the title says, but rather reactionary, heeding back to the Shotokan's early years.
Yep.
I think he also added in Chinese Kung Fu he learned from a family member and Okinawan weapons into his total repertoire.
He was definitely an original.
Twenty years after his passing, ā€œmodernā€ Shotokan still has not caught up with him.
 
Karate takedowns are often overlooked because most people associate karate primarily with striking, but traditional systems absolutely include sweeps, trips, and off balancing techniques.
If you're studying takedowns in karate, I’d recommend focusing on:


  • Ashi-barai (foot sweeps) — timing is everything.
  • Kuzushi (off-balancing) before attempting any throw.
  • Close-range applications from kata (many takedowns are hidden in kata bunkai).
A good way to approach it is to drill entries slowly with a partner before increasing speed. Proper distancing and timing matter more than strength.
At Florida Karate Academy in Vero Beach, we emphasize practical bunkai applications so students understand how takedowns connect naturally with strikes rather than treating them as separate techniques.
If you're training independently, I’d suggest looking for traditional bunkai breakdowns rather than sport-only adaptations.
 
many takedowns are hidden in kata bunkai.
Many MA systems claim some takedowns are hidden in the form. The "leg skill" that make you to stand on one leg. You then use the other leg to deal with your opponent's leg just cannot be hidden.

How can you hide a "leg skill" like this in your form - head down and leg up?

Chang-leg-lift-1.gif
 
Most of my time doing karate has focused mainly on striking. Its where I am most proficient. I'd like to improve my knowledge in takedowns but I don't have anywhere local to train in grappling so I was wonding if anyone had any good links or video recommendations. I've watched a few lyoto machida videos that were pretty decent on this. I'm mainly looking to see how to add in some simple and relatively safe takedowns into my free sparring routines. Nothing crazy. I have a grappling dummy and my family members to practice with for this. Looking to see how I can best use something like a jab or rear punch set up to move into postion for a front or rear leg sweep. Also any good elementary arm throws to practice from moving in on attack or countering. Thanks
A Google search shows a Mat Club in Osceola and several BJJ clubs in Des Moines. This would be my first approach. Learning how to grapple is damn near impossible to do solo. You can learn some theory but you just will not get it until you do it.
 
The key word is "some." There are other throws and takedowns, besides uchi momo harai.... many of which do not involve standing on one leg.
If we take the most common 30 throws, there are 18 throws that require "leg skill". 12 throws can be done with both feet on the ground.

Throw can be done with both feet on the ground are:

- body squeeze
- inside knee seize
- firemen's carry
- leg break
- outside knee seize
- twist
- downward pull
- double legs
- hip throw
- overhead
- embrace
- shove
 
Last edited:
Back
Top