Issue of Respect

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off I would like this decussion to stay withen the framework of the original post.

1) Why is it better said you have to earn respect?
2) Respect is a part of life, so why should we not respect each other for the sake of respect?
3) In Martial Arts it seems if you are not a top notch fighter or on the Seminar circuit then you are worthles to the Arts and thus you get no respect?
4) If you choose to teach childern instead of Adults you have no respect from anybody?
5)When people get older they respect is all gone from them and they are written off as nothing to offer anybody.
6) Is it not true that to be respected you must first respect everything else?

Just would like to see everyone views about this either in the MA or just in life in general.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For most of us when we meet someone new? Sometimes the first impressions do not go well and other times it does.

As you get to know someone or they get to know you....(we are always making judgements). Our opinions will form when your actions are noted.

That's what they mean by earning it. How you behave, How you act, How you react, the little things too...how you interact with people.

People say: Give respect..you get back respect...and also respecting others too. (again we are always making judgements of each other).

HINTS: Always be honest,truthful,loyal,trustworthy,faithful, generous,humble and kind to everyone.

Cross that line (being bad)...you will lose your respect.

One more point: If you do not like yourself ...you will have NO respect for yourself and others......(you have to like yourself first before you can like others)....reasons why people do drugs and other bad things...they hate themselves therefore will do unconsious form of self-defeat/sucide....

Respect is earn...cannot be given or purchase or sold.

(however for $32.00 I maybe able to help you can one ,or for $100.00 you can get 4 respects.) ....call now! before it is too late....1 800-xxx-xxxx ....Yours respectfully.........Aloha

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the moment I will focus on one aspect of your question. "Do you think people give less respect to those who teach children?" You bet. In MA or out, it's an issue. When one teaches in a college setting, they get much more respect & called professor. When one teaches 3rd grade, they are merely envied because "they get summers off."

In deference to our friends Kacey & exile. I'm sure they would both agree that that one gets more respect in the community than the other. However, if Kacey doesn't do her job very well, few of her students will see the inside of exile's classroom later in life. (See, that's another example of the respect given to one over the other).

In MA, its the same way. Dawn Barnes is not as respected as a Bill Wallace (who known more for teaching adults).

It shouldn't be that way. But it is.

my 2 cents.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965:
3) In Martial Arts it seems if you are not a top notch fighter or on the Seminar circuit then you are worthles to the Arts and thus you get no respect?
Well, we may not get any respect in the global sense (from strangers), but does that really matter? Only if I want to become famous, maybe, or market a product and accrue wealth. For people who know me, they can make up their own minds on the merits of whether they respect me or not. The rest of the world? Yeah, it'd be nice, but... I think often the best self-promoters get the most 'respect' (actually, merely notoriety--the two are not equivalent).

4) If you choose to teach childern instead of Adults you have no respect from anybody?
5)When people get older they respect is all gone from them and they are written off as nothing to offer anybody.
Children and the elderly, and the people who care for them, get the least respect. But so that we don't get OT and into politics (which I won't discuss anyway), let me just keep it at the personal, local level and agree with IcemanSK:

For the moment I will focus on one aspect of your question. "Do you think people give less respect to those who teach children?" You bet. In MA or out, it's an issue. When one teaches in a college setting, they get much more respect & called professor. When one teaches 3rd grade, they are merely envied because "they get summers off."

In deference to our friends Kacey & exile. I'm sure they would both agree that that one gets more respect in the community than the other. However, if Kacey doesn't do her job very well, few of her students will see the inside of exile's classroom later in life. (See, that's another example of the respect given to one over the other).

In MA, its the same way. Dawn Barnes is not as respected as a Bill Wallace (who known more for teaching adults).

As someone who has taught every grade from K-12 for 18 years, as well as grad school for five years, let me just give a hearty, Well said, IcemanSK. If I tell someone I 'teach' adjudicated youth in high school (work with/control/retrain/encourage/mourn the ones we lose to violence, as last weekend), I get one response. If I tell another person I've published two books and teach grad courses at _______________ University, I get a whole different response. Do we value one group of students more? If so, we must ask, Why?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off I would like this decussion to stay withen the framework of the original post.

I'll try... although this is a pretty broad topic, so if I stray, I do apologize.

There's a lot of confusion about the difference between respect and courtesy, so this might be a long explanation.

There are plenty of people I respect, who I will always be courteous to - because my respect is so great, because of rank differences (and not just MA rank, but other social ranks as well - age, achievements, position, etc.).

There a plenty of people I respect, who I might not be courteous to, for various reasons - because I'm joking around, because I know them well enough, and respect their opinions enough, to not pussyfoot around an issue even though it's delicate or potentially hurtful, and so on. People who see this type of interaction from the outside and are not aware of my respect for the other person may see this as disrespectful, even when it's not intended to be. These are often the people I respect the most - because I respect them enough to be honest even when it's difficult for me, and potentially painful for one or both of us.

Then there are the people I will always be polite to - showing the outward forms of respect - but will not respect despite the show of courtesy. These are people who have earned the show of courtesy by some accomplishment (rank, in or out of MA, as described above), but who I do not respect as individuals. These people may never know my true opinion of them, because I show rank for their position that I do not feel for their person.

This comes back to my answer to your question: IMHO, it is always better to earn respect through your actions than be shown respect that is not felt because of your position. Courtesy is a learned behavior, which I can turn on and off at will - respect, however, is an emotion, which is dictated by a person's experiences with another person, and cannot be faked if it's really not there - the motions of courtesy can still be shown, but without the emotion of respect, the courtesy is hollow.

2) Respect is a part of life, so why should we not respect each other for the sake of respect?

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. Respect is a different class of emotion, at least to me, than are some of the more hormonally-driven emotions such as lust and hate. Respect is earned through actions, and can be increased or lost through the actions of the other person - I can respect someone in the abstract, for a rank or position, and can demonstrate the courtesy due that rank or position, without ever feeling the emotion, or even while actively not respecting the person - but as much as I try, when people are disrespectful to me, it triggers a similar response in me that I can't always control.

The flip side of this is that is you treat others respectfully, others are more likely to respect you. Like trust, respect is a two-way street, and can often only be earned by being given, and also like trust, respect can be lost through betrayal of that respect.

I think it depends on the martial artist. For myself, I respect people who have the physical ability and mental toughness to be successful on the fighting and/or seminar circuits - but I respect anyone who has the perseverance to stick with a difficult skill long enough to improve it - regardless of the skill in question. The people I have met or interacted with who think that only those who are successful on the tournament and/or seminar circuits are worthy of respect are often inexperienced, overawed by fame, or have been convinced by someone else that only people with certain achievements have any value.

I guess it depends on who you want respect from. Iceman is correct in his statement that, in many cases, college professors automatically receive more respect than elementary school teachers. The same often holds true for other fields in which both children and adults can be students. The reasons for this are, I think, outside the scope of this discussion, but relate in part to the respect many people have for those who teach/train/manage the elite - the smaller, more exclusive the group, the more respect the people in the group, and those who train them, generally earn.

This is another cultural problem. The elderly used to be revered for their wisdom, and valued for their skills in child care, which freed the younger adults in a community to complete tasks that required greater physical strength. As young adults began to move farther away from their parents, the value of grandparents and other elders for child care was lost; as society became more and more focused on the value of items than the value of relationships, the cost of caring for elderly parents (especially those who live far away and cannot help with their own care or that of younger generations) who began living longer and longer overrode the respect that younger generations had for older generations. This was, IMHO, exacerbated by the increased lifespan and older age of parents, smaller family, and the greater mobility of society - until a few hundred years ago, the older children in a family would begin having children while their own younger siblings were still at home, creating a multi-generational home in which the grandparents took care of their grandchildren alongside their own youngest children. As the West was opened, and younger generations took off across the country, this intergenerational connection was lost - adding to the loss of respect for the older, and often unreachable (due to lack of technology for communication and transportation) older generation. There are other, related and unrelated factors as well - but I think I've already gone far enough afield on this one.

Yes and no, I think. As I said before, people can show you the motions of respect without respecting you, and can respect you without showing you the motions of respect. There are people I respect for their accomplishments while not respecting them as people, and people I respect as people, whose accomplishments (if any) I do not respect... Likewise, there are people whom I respect who do not respect me, and vice versa. If respect were necessary to earn respect, then there are plenty of people who would never earn respect from anyone, because they respect no one and nothing themselves.

my 2 cents.

Indeed... although it depends on just what you teach - people who find out that I teach special education in a middle school often respect me - or at least state respect for the level of patience my job must take - simply by hearing what I do. But in general, I think you are correct. As I said above, I think it has to do with how elite/restricted the group you teach is - the more restricted/elite the group, the more the person who teaches/coaches the group becomes, without regard to the people who provided the skills necessary to get into that group in the first place. When was the last time a middle school coach or elementary school gym teacher is given respect for starting a child on the path to becoming an Olympic athlete, or a kindergarden teacher is recognized for teaching a child the basic reading skills that provided the base for all else the child learned on the path to becoming a doctor, lawyer, or other highly educated professional?

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Out of respect for you, Master Stoker, I will do my best! :asian:

It is not better said this way, and I strongly disagree with this concept. Many people accept this phrase because they have heard it from someone else, and it makes sense to them. The reality is that many people do not fully understand "respect," what it is, where it comes from, and how to express it.

You can NOT "earn" respect because respect is the choice of the person who experiences it. "Earning" implies an automatic "payment due." If I behave a certain way, then "earning" the respect means I can expect the respect - - even demand it because I have "earned" it. You "earn" a paycheck by doing a job, and performing to your bosses standards. Do the work, and your boss "owes" you the money. Respect is not a "guaranteed payment" after performing a certain way, thus you can not "earn" it.

Respect can NOT be "given," as many people say. "You give me respect, and I'll give you respect!" This is a falsehood. What are you giving to the person? What exchanges hands? Nothing! You can "have" respect for someone. You can "feel" respect for someone. You can even "show" respect to someone by displaying gestures that indicate the fact that you do respect them. But you are not "giving" them respect. This is a misconception that has been passed on by people who have not fully analyzed the concept, and do not understood its true meaning.

We should! First, understand what respect is. It is the intellectual appreciation for the value of someone or something. If you see the worth of an object, then you realize its importance and value. You respect it. You treat it with respect by not damaging or destroying it. You strive to protect and preserve it. If a person possesses qualities that you like, you agree with, you admire as being worth something of value, then you respect that person's behavior or talent, thus translating to respect of the person.

On a personal note, I believe that all people are children of God. This alone is reason enough for me to respect the person. However, I do not have to respect the person's behavior. I know that people are tempted by demons to oppose God's will. I do not respect the Devil. I can express to the person that I do not respect their choice of behavior in a particular situation. I see the value each person has as a human being, thus I respect God's creation in them, but I can choose to disapprove of their bad choices. They might have talent that I admire, and respect, but they might behave in a dishonorable fashion that I do not respect.

Anyone who feels this way is shallow, and does not understand the true "worth" of an individual, and does not understand what true "respect" is.

"The children are our future . . . teach them well."
"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Those who don't respect teachers who prepare children for life, don't understand the value of what those teachers do. This is the shortsightedness of many people, but we can be proud of ourselves, and have self-respect. Do God's work, and God respects you even if no one else does.

Only a fool fails to see the value of the elderly. There are many foolish people in the world.

No, I don't agree with this. I don't believe that you "get respect when you give respect." In addition to the falsehood that I stated before about not being able to "give" or "get" respect, there is no absolute correlation between how you treat others. Respecting others, and showing respect to them, might be reciprocated, but then it might not. If someone respects me for who I am, or what I do, that does not mean that I will automatically respect them in return. I will either respect them or not depending on their own actions.

With me, you do not have to earn my respect - - you can not "earn" my respect. I already respect you from the start. However, your actions prove your worth. I respect the value of someone. I respect your worth. Increase your worth, and you increase the respect that I have for you.

Just be the best person you can be. Try your best to do your best!

That's what I respect! :asian:

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, I think there are two types of respect; the first is the dignity with which a person should treat others regardless of their status, the second is that earned respect (or veneration?) that comes from age and accomplishment.

IMO, folks who don't respect instructors for teaching children, either in school or in the MA, are NOT worthy of respect themselves. In fact, nothing is more important than the instruction (and role modeling for) of children.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Churchill said that even if you're going to kill a man there's no reason not to be polite. Almost everyone starts off in my books with a certain amount of human respect and a large helping of courtesy. These can be increased or decreased depending on who they are, what they do and many other things.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok I won't go into all the questions, but I will give a couple of points based on my opinions.

I agree with Jonathan. We have a base respect, a respect for feelings, life and property. This is automatically felt when we meet someone, unless we are a social misfit, but lets just stick with talking about the "normal" people for this. That respect is only lost under extreme circumstances, like when the person we meet demonstrates that they do not hold this for you. e.g. "I didn't hit him until he attacked me". Then there is a more conscious respect, the one we feel when we find out what someone is like in personality, and/or we find out their acheivements and abilities. This is the one we loose or build more easily.

It works on a sliding scale, the more that person has acheived, the nicer they are and the more they do to prove themselves, the higher your respect for them goes, the more they do to prove that you can't respect them, e.g. if you find out they got thier rank though deception, the lower your respect for them goes. BUT, the "pedastal" effect comes in when they get either very very high, or very very low on your scale. If you highly respect someone for all the above, and they do something bad (like say your childhood hero hit a child) then the sliding scale can turn upside down and then it becomes a lot stiffer.... they have to prove themselves so much more in order to win any degree of respect back. It works the other way too, a criminal who is really bad does an act of saintly kindness and your respect can turn around and suddenly that's all you remember, and you respect them highly for having the ability to do this wonderful thing. (I seem to remember this from Psychology lessons so someone who's done Psych please jump in here and elaborate or correct)

People will respect others based on thier own personal experiences and values, so someone who teaches children won't get a lot of respect because in the experience of someone who has never done it, they are doing something any mother can do, but you will find that amongst teachers of children and people who have handled difficult children, the respect for that person is a lot higher as they understand the diffculties they face. Respect is easier to contribute to someone within a field you understand, if I found out someone had achieved a prize for drawing something, and someone else had acheived a grade in my MA, I would contribute respect to the graded person a lot easier than the drawer, because I don't know what difficulties the drawer had.

I think people say you have to earn respect because they don't know how else to put it, the act of respecting someone needs to be put on the shoulders oif the person they see as earning it, because they don't either understand that it's THEIR experiences and values that is measuring it, or they don't like the idea that they have just as much involvement in the respect process. Giving someone credit for something is hard because if we place them high, it means we are lower and that hurts the psyche, if we place them lower we seem ungracious and that also hurts the psyche, so we divorce ourselves from the procedure and place the credit totally on them to "earn" respect.

To respect others you don't have to respect everything else, for the reasons stated in other posts, you merely have to respect yourself, without a healthy respect for yourself, the respect of any other person has weak foundations and is short lived, mainly because you can't fully function as a healthy person without self respect. To respect others you just have to be a decent person, respect comes from within, not without as most people forget.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As always all of you have a great view about respect and how it is suppose to be.
Thank you all so far

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is it better said you have to earn respect?

I think that most people give a certain amount of respect when they meet someone, after that the person either gains or loses respect by their actions. Great achievments may not be worthy of respect, and minor accomplishments can be worthy of great respect, depending on the way they were achieved.

Respect is a part of life, so why should we not respect each other for the sake of respect?

In a perfect world, that would be the case

If you choose to teach childern instead of Adults you have no respect from anybody?

Personally, having taught children, I have more respect for someone who can teach children, it isn't easy, god bless anyone who teaches kids.

When people get older they respect is all gone from them and they are written off as nothing to offer anybody.

Sometimes it seems that way. We don't always realize how lucky we are or what we can learn from someone who has done, seen, and been through more than we have.

Is it not true that to be respected you must first respect everything else?

I don't believe this is true, I think people pretty much start off respecting each other, until given a reason to reevaluate

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I hold this true to so extent. I give respect to anyone becuase we as people deserve respect, but to earn a higher level of respect from me you have to earn it. This is because I believe that trust and respect go hand in hand. Ive given respect and trust to people who have abused it and let me down in the past, so know Ive changed myself

terryl965 said:
Like i said about the first question, people deserve respect for the simple fact that they are a person but that does not mean they get your full repsect

terryl965 said:
This is sad if this is true, I say this because I have not seen it for myself. At my dojo we respect everyone no matter what skill level or rank they are. The person at my dojo that gets the most of my respect is not my instructor or the black belts but this guy named Mike who has been in a wheel chair since the he was 20 and is now a brown belt, he has my respect because he has made it that far with that kind of disability and he will never be as good of a fighter as someone who has the use of their legs

terryl965 said:
This happens but this is untrue. Kids are harder to teach, easier to shape and mold but harder to teach. Children look for guidence from adults and to have the ability to shape their minds is a very rare gift. In a college setting I could teach adults, explain the process and give the homework easy enough, but with kids you have to explain it, how its done, why its done. People who teach kids get the respect because they are molding the minds of the future

terryl965 said:
Respect your elders. I have been taught this for as long as I can remember. Older people have seen more in the world than I have, lived through tough times, attained more knowledge that I can even grasp. This alone deserves respect

terryl965 said:

Just would like to see everyone views about this either in the MA or just in life in general.

I think this is true. While you dont have to repsect everything you can not expect to earn repsect if you respect nothing.

very good thread.

B

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
No Martial Arts involved in this. I was taught to my parents to give respect to anyone coz anyone deserves it.
Your lack of respect towards me doesn't mean that I have to lack respect towards you, at most I will point out that you need to reconsider your way of behaving. When there is no respect for the other person we face a situation which will lead indoubtly to a confrontation, a way to show who is superior (that might be physycal or oral confrontation).
I am not into any particolar religion, my in my point of view, respect is a way to put yourself on the same level of other people. I am not better than you and you are not better than me....from here we both start whatever we have to do: talking, working together, teaching or even fighting. Mind, a lack of respect can be seen by who does it a sign of beeing superior, but by the other person a sign of being weaker, that's why I see also in a fight a field where to respect your opponent, both in a ring or in a street.

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I give respect until the other person gives me a reason to think otherwise.

I think HKphooey has put it the best so far. Respect isn't just about holding someone "in esteem or honor" its also about "showing regard or consideration for". In other words, common courtesy and manners is showing just as much respect to someone as standing at attention and saluting/bowing your Sifu/Master.

I believe courtesy is a part of showing respect. I respect ALL of my friends. I wouldn't be their friend if I didn't. I definitely joke around and have fun with them. I am not rude or impolite (opposites of courteous) to them because that would be disprespectful.

I think one of our major problems as a society (Americans) is that a vast majority think they are owed something. We have to earn respect, give me respect and I will give you respect. How about showing respect for others despite the fact that they may or may not show you the same? Be the bigger person!

Otherwise you can kiss my... :)

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

1. There is a certain amount of respect given to the position one holds in life, depending on what it is. I respect my chief, because that position deserves a certain amount of my respect. The person in that position has to earn my respect. Just because he was able to get to that level doesn't mean he's a great person, he may have just had good connections. Earn my respect and you won't have to rely on the authority of the position to get me to do what you want. Leadership 101.

2. We should respect each other as human beings with certain inalienable rights. As for respect for the actual person, see above.

3. Recent development? Western mentality? Just because a person can fight, doesn't mean their not a turd. I may respect their fighting ability but if they're not a decent human being, that's all they're going to get.

4. Because your knowledge depth doesn't have to be as deep to teach children? Perhaps. Personally, I don't understand the lack of respect for those that teach children martial arts. I've actually found it more difficult, just because of attention span, level of understanding and lack of body control. I have students who are children, and I have students who are adults. I don't get to choose who I get, they're assigned to me and all have their own unique attributes. The best martial artists I've seen started as small children, so that it has become an ingrained part of their life. Kudos to those who taught them in the beginning.

5. Another western philosophy. Once you get old, you're obsolete. It's the "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

6. To earn respect, you must treat others with respect. This ties right in with question #1. I may have some respect based on the position you hold but if you treat me poorly, I will have no respect for you as a person.

This is life. It is far from unique to martial arts.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
re·spect /r&#618;&#712;sp&#603;kt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-spekt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
&#8211;noun 1. a particular, detail, or point (usually prec. by in): to differ in some respect.
2. relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route.
3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.
4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.
5. the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.
6. respects, a formal expression or gesture of greeting, esteem, or friendship: Give my respects to your parents.
7. favor or partiality.
8. Archaic. a consideration.
&#8211;verb (used with object) 9. to hold in esteem or honor: I cannot respect a cheat.
10. to show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights.
11. to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with: to respect a person's privacy.
12. to relate or have reference to.
&#8212;Idioms13. in respect of, in reference to; in regard to; concerning.
14. in respect that, Archaic. because of; since.
15. pay one's respects, a. to visit in order to welcome, greet, etc.: We paid our respects to the new neighbors.
b. to express one's sympathy, esp. to survivors following a death: We paid our respects to the family.

16. with respect to, referring to; concerning: with respect to your latest request.

Someone has to show me that they fit that definition.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
cour·te·sy [ kúrt&#601;ssee ]
noun (plural cour·te·sies)

Definition:

1. polite or considerate behavior: consideration for other people, or good manners
He didn't even have the courtesy to offer me a seat.

2. polite or considerate action: something done out of politeness or consideration for another person
We should certainly go, if only as a courtesy to Helen.

adjective

Definition:

1. for sake of politeness: given or done as a courtesy
a courtesy call

2. provided free: provided free of charge
A courtesy limousine will take you to the airport.

[13th century. < Old French curtesie < corteis "courtly" < Latin cohort- "enclosed space"]

(by) courtesy of somebody through somebody's generosity or help

Thats my difference. One IS earned the other is granted unless the other person shows they deserve neither.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it is really important to give everyone respect. Especially people who have been around for a while.
icon14.gif
I try in this life to accord respect to everyone and then what they do with it is their choice. Of course if they have stepped outside or done something horrible then once again that was their choice and they will get the respect, more or less based on their choice.

Teaching in general is something I highly respect whether someone is a college professor, K - 12 grade, Martial Arts, Scuba Diver Instructor, Combative Firearms, etc. Having a skill and being able to impart it is something that not everyone can do. Whether you teach children, adults, etc. is not really the point but more so that you do it well and to the best of your abilities.
icon12.gif

Latest Discussions