Pool Training

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
This weekend I was playing around in the pool and I started practicing my kicks underwater as I have on occasion in the past. I was thinking of making this more of a routine. I was wondering if anyone has done this and could share any benefits I might actually gain from this. I know that it provides some resistance to my movement and might increase speed etc. I have not heard of any benefits from this other than it stands to reason that there would be some. ANyone have any experience with this type of training?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a really cool idea!

There are a couple of thougths on this thread as well, as my teacher recently brought up doing stickwork in water.

I got very interested in Silat after some friends invited me to a pool party. When we were swimming, one of my friends asked if he could show me a few Silat moves in the pool because the takedowns were safer doing them in water. After being the recipient once...I was hooked.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing to practice in the pool is getting around a partner for a rear naked choke. Definately a very useful skill in the water.
icon14.gif

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another thing to practice in the pool is getting around a partner for a rear naked choke. Definately a very useful skill in the water.
icon14.gif

Excellent idea Brian! :asian: Personally I never thought of training from the angle of having to defend yourself in water. Great suggestion!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:uhohh: I'm not sure if I want you to elaborate on that one! ;)

It's a ground fighting move, a way to defend against someone choking you from behind. Rear = attacking from behind, naked = vulnerable, hence the rear naked choke.

Here's what the starting position could look like:

fig3-36.gif

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
:uhohh: I'm not sure if I want you to elaborate on that one! ;)

Ummm. . .A rear naked choke in the water has nothing to do with skinny dipping! ;)

On a couple occasions my TKD class has been held at the beach. We started doing forms and one steps in the sand and then took the training into Lake Michigan. Both the beach sand and the water really add extra dimensions to training. One form we may really concentrate on stability and not hurrying. The next one we would try to do as quickly as we could while maintaining balance in the water. Between the waves knocking us around and the resistance of the water, it was a really good workout too.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
The few times I've been able to work out underwater I've found a couple of things, one it has great resistance, and two, zero joint impact.
Weight belt, deep breath and a deep pool, sounds like a great time.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have used this for physical theropy when I hurt my shoulder. I also used to do this when training my legs for soccer, the almost weightless like conditions and the resistance of the water are great for non-strees training on your joints. You get a better workout if you were to run in the water than on pavement and you dont have the constant pounding of you ankles, knees, hips and most importantly spine. With that being said Im sure the benifits would be the same for MA training, sort of like training with weights but without the risk of hurting yourself

B

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Practicing in water was the only technique that worked for me, for getting a passably-decent flying back hook kick. I found I could practice the technique in slo-motion and work on form and balance. It also removed the fear of falling that I realized was preventing me from fully committing to the kick.

(Note: my flying back hook kick still stinks, but it is much better than it was ;) )

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Training in the water is one of the best ways for resistance training, for building strenght,muscles and speed.

Almost every Professional Horse trainers, have large pools for training there horses.

Swimming is also one of the best sports for using alot of different muscles including the lungs. (best to use water).

Here at home we have many nice beaches to swim in...and we do practice our kicks and punches in the water, (great resistance training). You will need suntan lotion too! (for the skin) , and do not eat.

Thank-you for sharing this.............going swimming now......Aloha

PS: Naked chokes? ..will it be better with the shorts on or off? and do we use our hands or legs? ....UM?

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In 1983 my first job (other than as an assistant instructor under my instructor) was as the program director for a health club. The owners had heard of "water aerobics/aquacize" but no one really had any info in what to do in the classes. So I went out to the indoor pool area with mostly senior citezens in a class. I tried a few things that didn't work (they really didn't like anything with their head underwater.LOL.

Well, the black belt in me decided to have them practice kicks and punches in the water. What I discovered was that with the resistance and buoyancy of the water, they were quickly developing some very solid basic kicking skills. Now, obviously they lacked quite a bit towards application, but for 70 year olds with no MA experience, there kicking base was impressive. Literaly, within a short period of time they were throwing decent kicks and even front kick-side kick combos off the same leg w/o setting their leg down.

Out of curiosity I had a few do these kicks out of the pool and they were firing them off with decent speed and power. Since then I have regularly included slow kick drills in the pool as a regular exercise in my warm month training routine. Also, I ahve always encouraged my students with access to a pool to do the same.

OP
scottcatchot

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
The more replies I read the more Excited I get about doing pool work.

I'll try not to hold any senior citizens head underwater.:rolleyes:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've tried this as well, best result for me...much better technique. For example, practicing a side kick in the Dojang, requires a degree of balance, flexibility and leg strength just to get the kick out there. In the pool, you can put the kick out there, look at technique and make minor adjustments as necessary without worrying about pesky gravity.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I too enjoy training in the water and exploring the fear and fascination and benefits associated with training in water. Training both the physical and mental aspects of combat in the water offer many opportunities for growth. Exploring the duality of experience that water holds for me is fascinating work.

On Saturday July 14th we will be holding a fighting in the water seminar to further explore this environment and how it changes our work. I am looking forward to this seminar on the shores of and in Lake Washington. More information on this seminar can be found here http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=813120#post813120

Brian King

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am definately going to have to try this out. I am already wanting to start training for a triathlon too, and I know this will def help me out with my balance and stuff. Thanks for all the info!!!!

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You need weights to hold yourself down. When you make your movements, keep them at full force. If you supplement your training with an hour of this per day (not to mention swimming too) you will probably develop strong technique. Just breathing with your chest under water gives your breathing muscles a workout. It is essential to practice the same techniques outside the water after too as the forces work different. I'm tempted to say swimming is the best exercise do to the low impact. The only problem I can see is the pruning up.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is increased speed and strength. But, there is a down side. Here's a fun fact for you about runners and swimmers. Runners (because of the constant contact with the ground) end up with thicker shins. The bone gets denser as tiny cracks form and heal. Swimmers, however, have the opposite. The bone gets less dense, due to the lack of real contact with an unyeilding surface.
So, go ahead, but be careful. Some college divers in their first year or two get really bad shin splints beacuse they push off hard, but don't do enough to strengthen their shin.

Latest Discussions