Black Belt Vs. Eagle Scout on a CV

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think for a younger person heading into a job market in which they have little experience, any major accomplishment could help distinguish them from the competition and land them an interview. In this context, it could be very useful. Similarly for someone applying to college; at the very least either accomplishment is a good indication that the person can set a goal for themselves and then work to achieve it over time.

It would also be useful to list either if they had relevance to the position you're applying for, and if you can elucidate that connection in a short sentence or two. For example, for a position that involved teaching field technicians how to use a particular product, I included my martial arts black belt in my resume indicating the number of years I had taught others in that context. It helped get me a phone interview, where we went into more detail about the type of teaching and how to reach different types of learners. I didn't end up getting the job, but that was partially because they couldn't offer me close to what I was already earning at the time.

If the martial arts black belt or the eagle scout badge is unrelated to the job you're applying for, then putting it on the resume is at best a talking point later, more likely to be considered irrelevant, and at worst it's a put-off for someone who may have had a bad experience or a misconception of what was involved in the process.

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's on mine.

It's there because it shows perseverance, dedication and leadership. These are attributes that most employers are looking for.

Yup, that's why I've never removed mine even though I'm at a point now where my work experience part of the resume speaks for itself. Plus it's always good to have something noticeable that differentiates you from the competition. If all resumes look alike as far as job experience, employers look for the next thing to set them apart. I think the traits associated with achieving ones black belt (and sticking around after you do so) make the average person more desirable.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No matter what there is always a chance of someone reading your resume and saying "oh he is a martial artist I don't like them" or "oh he is an eagle scout I hated scouting and had a bad experience when someone tried to molest me". There is always that kind of chance. However, it does make you stand out and I would guess that 99% of the time you would get a favorable nod at being a martial practitioner and having shown that you have dedication, perseverance, leadership skills, etc. and the same would hold true for an eagle scout!

Yet having said that every time I was hired it played a significant part in me getting the job. Not the only part but a part of me getting it! I also know many other people where it helped them as well! Just my 02.

I know where I went to College also helped in the hiring process and typically gave a leg up on the competition. Same with past work history! There is more than just one or two things on a resume that can make or break a deal!
icon6.gif

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
No matter what there is always a chance of someone reading your resume and saying "oh he is a martial artist I don't like them" or "oh he is an eagle scout I hated scouting and had a bad experience when someone tried to molest me". There is always that kind of chance. However, it does make you stand out and I would guess that 99% of the time you would get a favorable nod at being a martial practitioner and having shown that you have dedication, perseverance, leadership skills, etc. and the same would hold true for an eagle scout!

Yet having said that every time I was hired it played a significant part in me getting the job. Not the only part but a part of me getting it! I also know many other people where it helped them as well! Just my 02.

I know where I went to College also helped in the hiring process and typically gave a leg up on the competition. Same with past work history! There is more than just one or two things on a resume that can make or break a deal!
icon6.gif
I agree. The general perception of "black belt" in the non martial arts community is very high, whether rightly or wrongly. As I said in an earlier post, I have employed somebody who mentioned their 3rd dan on their resume (before I started in MA), and I saw it as a big positive.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup, that's why I've never removed mine even though I'm at a point now where my work experience part of the resume speaks for itself. Plus it's always good to have something noticeable that differentiates you from the competition. If all resumes look alike as far as job experience, employers look for the next thing to set them apart. I think the traits associated with achieving ones black belt (and sticking around after you do so) make the average person more desirable.

Although I've never (knowingly) had anything but good results from including my MA rank on resumes...Bill raises an interesting point. Black Belt will certainly set you apart...but will it put you in the "advance" stack or the circular file?

On the other hand, would you really want to work for somebody who felt that way about MA (or scouting, if Eagle was your claim to fame)?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I've never (knowingly) had anything but good results from including my MA rank on resumes...Bill raises an interesting point. Black Belt will certainly set you apart...but will it put you in the "advance" stack or the circular file?

On the other hand, would you really want to work for somebody who felt that way about MA (or scouting, if Eagle was your claim to fame)?

I am not sure if anyone here is an HR professional. I'm not, but I've certainly had to deal with HR in hiring people for my department and I've done my share of interviewing of candidates in the past. I am not at all sure if anyone in this thread is aware of the current climate with regard to what is and what is not permitted to be used as a criterion for hiring. I hate that the world has become so PC, but it is what it is.

It used to be that people put their photos on their resumes. Not anymore, unless they're interviewing for an acting or modeling job. Used to be people put down hobbies and references and all kinds of irrelevant crap; not anymore. I know HR people who will toss out resumes that contain that kind of stuff without even looking any further into them; the manager of the group doing the hiring won't ever see the resume. THEY FEAR LAWSUITS. If you provide information that you think might 'give you an edge', it might also be used by someone to claim they were discriminated against. It's like saying "I like hiring someone I think might be in good health." Really? You discriminate against people not in good health? Just an example, I'm not accusing anyone.

Even if you're influenced by such things - and maybe all of us are to one extent or another - putting it down on paper is a very very bad idea. You hire or do not hire based on qualifications, such as experience, education, and other relevant data. You do not hire based on gender, sex, hair color, ethnicity, race, religion, weight, age, and so on - or at least you do not say so. When someone puts down that they are a black belt or an Eagle scout - apparently hoping this gives them and edge in the interview process - they are basically asking to be discriminated for instead of against. Even if the interviewer doesn't take it into consideration, it can be a point of contention if the person decides to sue if they don't get the job. You didn't hire me because you don't like martial artists! No, that wasn't it. It must have been! I put it on my resume and you told me during the interview that you thought martial arts was for children.

See how that can work? Really, I advise against it. Even if it has no negative connotation, HR people can be afraid of even seeing things like that which MAYBE could be used to raise a beef later.

If you work in martial arts, sure, I get it, that's your work experience. I'm an IT guy. My coworkers know - now. They didn't when I was interviewing. It was of no relevance.

Just my 2 cents. I've seen resumes change a lot over the years. Used to be a lot more like a 'getting to know you' sort of thing. Now it's "Just the facts, ma'am."

EDIT: THIS MIGHT BE USEFUL:

http://www.examiner.com/resumes-in-san-diego/hobbies-and-interests-and-resumes-oh-my

Latest Discussions