Is this legal in Bayarea California to carry out?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who lied and told you that the law is supposed to make sense?
In Colorado, you cannot buy a magazine with a capacity above 15 rounds unless you're a LEO.
But any such magazines that you owned before they were banned are fine.
Why?
According to the people who wrote the law, it's because you'll shoot the rounds in those magazines. Because nobody could possible reload a magazine.
No one lied to me. I just think they should be revisited, reviewed, and removed as needed. Like this one.

"The State of Georgia has a law making it a misdemeanor to be on a public way or public property while wearing a mask or hood concealing all or part of your face (not counting Halloween of course)" I remember when this one came out. Stupid stuff like this is made only for the purpose of harassing citizens.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No one lied to me. I just think they should be revisited, reviewed, and removed as needed. Like this one.

"The State of Georgia has a law making it a misdemeanor to be on a public way or public property while wearing a mask or hood concealing all or part of your face (not counting Halloween of course)" I remember when this one came out. Stupid stuff like this is made only for the purpose of harassing citizens.
Like I posted they in philly and other place allow young people to openly kill themselves on the streets . Inject openly and I have seen Videos where the police stand by and just observe them.
With drugs comes all the other crime. I do not claim to know about Laws in your states but it seems absurd at times.
But hey worry about a baton...Double morals

Last edited:

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The State of Georgia has a law making it a misdemeanor to be on a public way or public property while wearing a mask or hood concealing all or part of your face (not counting Halloween of course)" I remember when this one came out. Stupid stuff like this is made only for the purpose of harassing citizens.
So how do they treat muslims?
I'm willing to bet muslim women can walk around wearing their Burka face covered or partially covered.
I can but I'm Batman!

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

How about people wearing surgical mask for Covid? You get arrested if you wear it, then you get arrested if you don't!!! How do you like that?!!!:rolleyes:

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As to "weapons of like kind," I didn't catch that earlier, but I've gotten off on things that I was clearly in violation of because because of very good attorneys, and with "weapons of like kind" being such an ambiguous phrase, I'm not worried.

As to the laws not making sense (i.e., you can have a gun but not a switchblade, etc), it all comes down two things that occured at the time these things were outlawed:

1. Targeting certain demographics
2. Moral panic

In the case of the former, cannabis was outlawed because it was mostly used by minorities and white counterculture groups (beatniks, etc).

Eastern martial arts/ninja weapons were outlawed because of the moral panic caused by the movies they were featured in.

Brass knuckles, switchblades, etc were a combination of both: greasers were the demographic being targeted. And those "bad boy" movies with James Dean, Marlon Brando, etc contributed to that.

Of course, guns, are carried by "good hardworking 'muricans," so they weren't being targeted.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about people wearing surgical mask for Covid? You get arrested if you wear it, then you get arrested if you don't!!! How do you like that?!!!:rolleyes:
I’m not aware of people being arrested for not wearing a Covid mask. Seems ive seen lots of people refuse to wear them in spite of mandates and signs in stores saying they are required.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who lied and told you that the law is supposed to make sense?
In Colorado, you cannot buy a magazine with a capacity above 15 rounds unless you're a LEO.
But any such magazines that you owned before they were banned are fine.
Why?

I imagine because many things that already exist are allowed to be grandfathered in when a new, more restrictive law is passed. That is common practice. I would guess there is a calculation made that confiscating all of those existing magazines would be nearly impossible to accomplish, so it isn’t pursued. It does raise the question though: if someone is found with such a magazine, how is it determined if it was grandfathered, or is new?
According to the people who wrote the law, it's because you'll shoot the rounds in those magazines. Because nobody could possible reload a magazine.
I’m not understanding what you are saying here?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not aware of people being arrested for not wearing a Covid mask. Seems ive seen lots of people refuse to wear them in spite of mandates and signs in stores saying they are required.
What I recall seeing was people being arrested for trespassing, when they refused to either put on a mask or leave a store, then making a huge fuss/public disorder/disorderly conduct when asked to leave. I can't think of any situations where people were arrested for wearing a mask though.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine because many things that already exist are allowed to be grandfathered in when a new, more restrictive law is passed. That is common practice. I would guess there is a calculation made that confiscating all of those existing magazines would be nearly impossible to accomplish, so it isn’t pursued. It does raise the question though: if someone is found with such a magazine, how is it determined if it was grandfathered, or is new?
There is no way. It's not like there are date stamps on them.
I’m not understanding what you are saying here?
I'm saying that the people who wrote the law clearly have zero knowledge or understanding on the subject of guns. They wrote the law honestly believing that if I go to the range, plug a 17 round magazine into my Glock 17 and empty it, it's gone. They don't understand that magazines are reusable. And because lawmakers make laws without an actual knowledge of the subject, the laws are quite often stupid.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm saying that the people who wrote the law clearly have zero knowledge or understanding on the subject of guns. They wrote the law honestly believing that if I go to the range, plug a 17 round magazine into my Glock 17 and empty it, it's gone. They don't understand that magazines are reusable. And because lawmakers make laws without an actual knowledge of the subject, the laws are quite often stupid.
Or there were enough conservatives involved in the creation of the law to include such a 'workaround'.
I would say it is rare but it also works both ways in this fashion as well.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I recall seeing was people being arrested for trespassing, when they refused to either put on a mask or leave a store, then making a huge fuss/public disorder/disorderly conduct when asked to leave. I can't think of any situations where people were arrested for wearing a mask though.
A-yup.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Exactly

I do not believe that is true. The logic behind it is that it puts a specific limit on the number of rounds a person can fire before they are interrupted by the need to reload. In the case of a mass shooting, that interruption can give people an opportunity to escape. The need to carry additional magazines to pack the same firepower also means that perhaps they will end up carrying less ammunition. Thus, also possibly saving some lives.

Whether or not the number 15 (10 in California) makes sense or is something you agree or disagree with is a separate discussion.

To say that lawmakers do not understand that magazines can be reloaded and reused is a real stretch.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was half way joking, BUT they do treat kids very harsh in schools and airplanes for not wearing mask.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly

I do not believe that is true. The logic behind it is that it puts a specific limit on the number of rounds a person can fire before they are interrupted by the need to reload. In the case of a mass shooting, that interruption can give people an opportunity to escape. The need to carry additional magazines to pack the same firepower also means that perhaps they will end up carrying less ammunition. Thus, also possibly saving some lives.

Whether or not the number 15 (10 in California) makes sense or is something you agree or disagree with is a separate discussion.

To say that lawmakers do not understand that magazines can be reloaded and reused is a real stretch.
How fast can you drop a mag, reload, and fire? Damn fast! 3 10’s is almost as fast as 1 30. Just sayin.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or there were enough conservatives involved in the creation of the law to include such a 'workaround'.
Entirely possible. I can't speak to how much sense the law itself makes, or if there was a better option since I'm not too familiar with guns. But, having an "anti-gun" law provides good pr/results for the anti-gun individuals, while there's a loophole that most of them won't realizing, making it annoying but not nearly as bad for the people that want to have 15+round mags.

For instance, if I went around and asked people in non-upstate-NY (where 90% of people I know don't have any sort of gun license/permit), they would mostly assume this means that within a year or two you wouldn't see 15+ round mags. And be very happy with that sort of law, regardless of how effective it actually is.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They just want to find any excuse to ban high capacity guns. I should have bought a Glock 19 long time ago, that's the one I want. I was not into guns for close to 30 years. It's only because of all the talk about banning 9mm, I went out and bought the Glock 26.

Damn, I still have not fire the 26 yet. Ammo is hard to get. They only sold me 2 boxes of 25 when I bought the 26!!! I still been on and off going to the Firing Line forum, someone PM me there are more ammo in KC, what good does that do for me?!!! I have my good Federal JHP from long time ago that I kept dry and no extreme temperature for my old guns, I am NOT going to use those to test out the new 26. So it's just a "plastic" toy gun for now!!!

Reloading is one thing I never get into. It's too boring, AND you cannot watch tv and do it because you do need to concentrate on it to make sure you don't make mistake. It can be deadly serious. So I just never got into it. Besides, you can't buy primer either right now. So I can't even reload even if I want to.

Do you reload? the amount you shoot, you can go broke buying bullets!!! That's the reason I changed to 22LR at the time. I bought 14 boxes of Winchester Wildcat at a time ( each has 10 bricks, each brick has 10 small boxes of 50 rounds) at 99cents per 50rounds!!! I am born cheap!!! The salesman thought I was crazy!!! I was too cheap to buy the match/competition type of standard velocity bullets. 99cents for 50, you cannot beat that.

I am really thinking whether I should buy another one. I am looking at Sig, the one with polymer frame, double action first shot. I still feel the most comfortable with double action first shot. I bought the 26 because when I quit shooting, Glock barely came on the scene, I always want a Glock, I am a true believer of polymer guns. So when I decided to buy one, I didn't even think twice and bought the Glock 26. It's 10 rounds, but at least it's smaller than 19.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How fast can you drop a mag, reload, and fire? Damn fast! 3 10’s is almost as fast as 1 30. Just sayin.

Not everyone has practiced swapping magazines quickly.
Whether or not you agree with the logic is a different discussion. But any interruption in firing during a mass shooting gives opportunity for someone to not be shot. It’s a little difficult to dispute that in good faith.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly

I do not believe that is true.
Doesn't really matter what you believe. The lawmaker SAID that the logic was the mags would be used up.
Here's the quote from US Representative Diana DeGette:
“What’s the efficacy of banning these magazine clips? I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those know they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these ‘high capacity’ magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.”
The logic behind it is that it puts a specific limit on the number of rounds a person can fire before they are interrupted by the need to reload. In the case of a mass shooting, that interruption can give people an opportunity to escape. The need to carry additional magazines to pack the same firepower also means that perhaps they will end up carrying less ammunition. Thus, also possibly saving some lives.
Except it doesn't.

But that is what the lawmaker said.
Whether or not you agree with the logic is a different discussion. But any interruption in firing during a mass shooting gives opportunity for someone to not be shot. It’s a little difficult to dispute that in good faith.
No, it's not. Because it doesn't work.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not everyone has practiced swapping magazines quickly.
It really doesn’t take much practice. And whether it’s ten or thirty I don’t feel safer because of that law. It didn’t do anything to dissuade bad people from doing bad things. I’m all for something that makes sense, but I think that the emphasis on capacity or defining firearms parts as the problem is misguided. The firearm is inert, regardless of parts or capacity, same as a machete or slingshot, or hellfire missile for that matter. I’m not advocating having missiles or machine guns, but we as humans have a problem that is causing us to kill one another. The AR 15 and AK 47 for example are not new, but our children mass shooting our children is, relatively speaking, a newer issue.

Latest Discussions