In your opinion

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which kicks are best suited for SD type of stituations? Why would you choose that kick over all others and what type of stituation would make you use it?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've heard stories of people using such kicks that you would never think of using... crescent kick to the head, spinning wheel kick, flying side kick, many to stop the fight right then.

But, no one believes these stories. These high kicks, spinning kicks, jumping kicks, they are almost universally dismissed as being useless for self-defense. I know the stories that I have heard, and that is enough for me. I will not argue. For me, if an attacker comes, with malicious intention, to harm me, then, okay, here we go...

If I get the opening, if I can push him into kicking range with my hands, "Olympic Style"... I'd take a shot with a "fancy kick", not because it looks good, but because it can give knock-out/knock-down (and not get back up) -- no joke.

Jump spinning side kick that lands just right -- don't tell me that that won't endow the attacker with some, um... shall we say TRANSLATIONAL ENERGY???

But, again, I will not fuss or argue. This is my choice for me, and it will be other peoples choices for them to make for themselves, too!

High Regards,

Robert

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd use a side kick or push kick depending on how I was facing the attacker. I'd aim for the side or the tops of the knees first, ribs or solar plexus second. I know I can deliver enough power with either to knock someone over or at least back. Low kicks are fast to recover from and don't leave your legs extended for someone to trap. They also don't expose your groin to someone. I've seen devastating round house kicks to the head in competition but in a SD situation I'd keep everything below the waist, kick-wise.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd use a side kick or push kick depending on how I was facing the attacker. I'd aim for the side or the tops of the knees first, ribs or solar plexus second. I know I can deliver enough power with either to knock someone over or at least back. Low kicks are fast to recover from and don't leave your legs extended for someone to trap. They also don't expose your groin to someone. I've seen devastating round house kicks to the head in competition but in a SD situation I'd keep everything below the waist, kick-wise.

I agree.
No jumping or spinning or anything.
rib level and below and kicks only when opportunity is really there otherwise, no need gettin caught.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
Once I was assaulted when I was coming home from the university during the night. The guy started kicking and hiting me hard and I was in terror, but I decided to defend myself and automatically started to kick him back with roundhousekicks (right - left - right - left) mainly on the ribs and stomach.

It's the first or second basic kick, but it really saved me, so I don't think any jumping, flying, spectacular kick could be better, specially in the reduced space where I was.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Roundhouse kick using my shin on someone's knee or sciatic nerve area. We practice this technique against a heavy bag and also against a shield held against the side of the thigh. Even the little kids can pop the shield hard enough to fold the holder.

Miles

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If someone is charging at you a simple front push kick to the stomach is usually enough to put them out of comission. A low side kick to the knee will stop just about any attacker. A kick to the shin is always good for making attackers reevaluate what they're doing.​

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, I would use whatever I thought would be the most devastating depending on distance between us, the threat, location, etc, but a spinning kick could definitely serve a purpose as well. If you somehow got in a fight with a guy who had a bunch of drunken friends with him, a spinning outer crescent that lays the guy out would send a very clear signal to all his buddies that they should just remain where they are, and not jump in. It wouldn't be the best choice under most circumstances, but sometimes you need to deliver a blow and send a message in the one shot. For those times, something fancy can put the fear of a possible severe beating into those on the fence, and keep them on the fence ;)

jim

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know, I would use whatever I thought would be the most devastating depending on distance between us, the threat, location, etc, but a spinning kick could definitely serve a purpose as well. If you somehow got in a fight with a guy who had a bunch of drunken friends with him, a spinning outer crescent that lays the guy out would send a very clear signal to all his buddies that they should just remain where they are, and not jump in. It wouldn't be the best choice under most circumstances, but sometimes you need to deliver a blow and send a message in the one shot. For those times, something fancy can put the fear of a possible severe beating into those on the fence, and keep them on the fence ;)

jim

True story (I can't resist):

A man walks down an alley. He is attacked by three men.

The defense goes like this: The first man gets a forward lunging punch to the solar plexus. He dies. As in dead.

The second man throws a garbage can toward the man. The man jumps over the can, and executes a skipping front kick. This second attacker goes down, and stays down (no death).

The third man ran away.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say low & targeted to vital areas (knees, groin, solar plexus, etc) front & side kicks are in order in SD situations. High kicks are not a good idea.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Everyone has a diferent scenerio running through our imagination for an attacker. Not to get to philisophical here but try not to prepare for one situation over another. Every kick has its benefits. A wrestler will attack diferently from a football player and a boxer. Each situation will be different. I do believe that keeping things basic and leaving the fancy stuff for TV is safest. Just because my spinning back side kick can send a heavy bag into a wild frenzy dosen't translate into an effective street manuver, but if the situation calls for it I know as long as the attacker doesn't weigh more than 40LBS he will go sailing several feet into the air. Also on the street a good swift kick to the balls isn't cheating.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Roundhouse kick using my shin on someone's knee or sciatic nerve area. We practice this technique against a heavy bag and also against a shield held against the side of the thigh. Even the little kids can pop the shield hard enough to fold the holder.

Miles

One day in class we practiced kneeing each other in the side of the thigh as a self defense drill.

I thought that was funny because we used to do that in high school to each other. We had a name for it that I forget. I was surprised because my partner who's about the same age as I am, had apparently never done it before and since we were practicing ie. not supposed to be doing it hard, he wondered if he was doing it right which I thought was even more humorous because to me it was a high school prank.

Anyway, from those school days I remember that you could become in a sense, "immune" to this. Meaning that if you had people do it to you repeatedly over time it was much less effective.

Latest Discussions