Kicks with age

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which kick are your favorite and Why?

Now the hard part, if you are getting older and are lacking the abilities of yester years what would be you favorite kick and why?

If you have been studying over five year what kick do you feel are inpactical in a ral SD stituation?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm still in my 30's, but I used to do the 360's and the 540's. I got a "bum" hip and knee, so I can no longer do them in fear of making it worse. They are no good for SD, but I liked them.

My favorite kicks now are the ones that work. Side, round (low), front, and back kicks. I used the side in SD, so I know it works. My side kick is my best kick for power (it didn't used to be though LOL).

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My favorite kick is the half-axe kick (kind of like an inside cresent but it comes down forcefully on the collar-bone rather than continuing past the opponent).

Now for the unusual...I have more flexibility and ease of movement now than I did years ago. My torn hamstring is healed and I'm sucessfully doing kicks and aerials that I would never have attempted before. At 50 yrs. young its a wonderful thing!:ultracool

My favorite SD is my mouth and trying to difuse a situation. So far it has served me well.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorite kick is the half-axe kick (kind of like an inside cresent but it comes down forcefully on the collar-bone rather than continuing past the opponent).

Now for the unusual...I have more flexibility and ease of movement now than I did years ago. My torn hamstring is healed and I'm sucessfully doing kicks and aerials that I would never have attempted before. At 50 yrs. young its a wonderful thing!:ultracool

I like the sound of that! And it doesn't have to get worse from where you're standing---I'm ten years older than you are and I also have more flexibility and strength than I did thirty years ago. I've done heavy weight training since I was in my late 40s, but the particular strength/balance skills I've needed for TKD I've developed just over the past three years, from when I started. I'm quicker and sharper than I was ten years ago, and have better combat responses. Training really does change the way you age...

My own favorite kick for training is the rear leg side kick, just because it's such a severe test of balance. But for SD, probably the low-to-mid front leg side kick, fired with very little warning and preferably directed at the side of my assailant's knee from fairly close range. I've no interest at all in complex Olympic-style head-high kicks; all I train are kicks that I think likely to be combat-effective---front, side, turning and back kicks, and I train the first three on both the back leg and front leg. I do work on getting maximum height on those kicks, not for application but for balance training---would never consider using any of them above the assailant's solar plexus in a fight, especially because I want to conduct any real fight at close range, where high kicks would make no sense at all.