I'm sorry, but this whole "Anti-Grappling" thing horrifies me

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe we should all ante up a dollar, and the one who gets us to page 16 collects?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I teach a anti-groundfighting, i.e. WT methods that can be used against typical wrestling attacks on the ground!"...

Why "anti-throw/takedow" is ignored here? The anti-groundfight is not the same as anti-throw/takedown. Do anti-grappling guys only care about dealing with BJJ guys and don't care much about dealing with wrestlers or Judo guys?

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why "anti-throw/takedow" is ignored here? The anti-groundfight is not the same as anti-throw/takedown. Do WC guys only care about BJJ guys and don't care much about wrestlers or Judo guys?
Not me.
Throws are deadly. I have the utmost respect for Judo and Wrestling. Actually all Martial arts.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Throw take downs are generally very dynamic and violent. Or a least can be. Usually breaking bones or dislocating joints when done properly. I'm talking about real combative type throwing. Not sport.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll take my chances with the street ninjas over the guy on top of me punching me in the face repeatedly.

Which can happen.

Ok the theory is your in guard and you have more submissions than the other guy. So the guard is dominant. But with striking the guy in guard does not have to bother with submissions because he can just stack and beat on you. Or lay and pray.

Lay and pray works in the strikers favor from on top. Because if he is not actively defending a sub he can hit. And lots of really hard to defend or capitalise hits like holding the face and just sliding the elbow.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have posted this clip twice and this is the 3rd time that I put it up. If one cares about anti-grappling, he should also care about "not to be on the bottom". IMO, that's a very very important anti-grappling skill.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Throw take downs are generally very dynamic and violent. Or a least can be. Usually breaking bones or dislocating joints when done properly. I'm talking about real combative type throwing. Not sport.

Sports throws are more likely to work though. Everybody should have double leg single leg combos in there arsenal.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sports throws are more likely to work though. Everybody should have double leg single leg combos in there arsenal.
I'm not saying sport throws won't work. I mean a sport throw only needs to be tweaked ever so slightly and it becomes deadly. Mainly intent. In comp your intent is not to really hurt your opponent permanently? Intent on the street is to slam his head into something. Possibly to save your life and end his.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not saying sport throws won't work. I mean a sport throw only needs to be tweaked ever so slightly and it becomes deadly. Mainly intent. In comp your intent is not to really hurt your opponent permanently? Intent on the street is to slam his head into something. Possibly to save your life and end his.

Fair enough. I thought were were going to go down the arm bar style throw route.

By the way there are some nast single leg variations that will send you matwards head first.

And suplexes of course.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fair enough. I thought were were going to go down the arm bar style throw route.

By the way there are some nast single leg variations that will send you matwards head first.

And suplexes of course.
I'm learning that. Head first is nasty! Imagine concrete. Hey are neck head/cranks legal in competition?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

This sort of mischief. There is a frontal sweep as well.

And you will notice that this sort of takedown would be a perfect SD style throw. Yet they much around with all sorts of silly nonsense.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish I was younger and had a good back. I'm really enjoying grappling. Competing looks fun. I have great coaches that know my physical limitations. So they work around that and we do a lot of standing grappling with throws and countering. Obliviously I can't be thrown around like a rag doll cause I break easily. but I'm learning hopefully how to not be thrown or a least survive. Plus I'm armed usually.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish I was younger and had a good back. I'm really enjoying grappling. Competing looks fun. I have great coaches that know my physical limitations. So they work around that and we do a lot of standing grappling with throws and countering. Obliviously I can't be thrown around like a rag doll but I'm learning hopefully how to not be thrown or a least survive. Plus I'm armed usually.

Yeah it is interesting times.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying grappling. Competing looks fun.
When you take your opponent down 15 times in a role with final score of 15-0, you will laught in your dreams for the next 3 nights. Will you be able to knock your opponent down 15 times within 1 hour in your striking art testing? It will be very unlikely.

Sub Zero

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have posted this clip twice and this is the 3rd time that I put it up. If one cares about anti-grappling, he should also care about "not to be on the bottom". IMO, that's a very very important anti-grappling skill]

Yeah, that falls in the "no crap Sherlock" category LOL.

That submission reminded me of a baseball bat collar choke? At least with the finishing principals.