I'm sorry, but this whole "Anti-Grappling" thing horrifies me

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

So much wrong in that opening set up. So much wrong with the entire video overall.

Also he has another vid where he shows how to snap someone's neck in guard, but says not to do it because it's dangerous. One of his students says "but what if we want to?" :banghead:

I come from a practical fighting system so for us if it sounds too complicated then it probably doesn't work. The biggest problem is that these techniques are done while the "grappler" isn't struggling. Struggling changes the entire playing field and the opportunity for a possible trap could close in less than a second. All of those "opportunities" that he's speaking of for an attack aren't going to exist. At any point during that struggle on the ground, there may be only 2 or 3 opportunities to strike, with each strike having it's own risks. Imagine trying to do those traps with movement at this level of intensity.

By the way punching someone in the stomach while they are in a crunch position is going to be useless because the stomach muscles are flexed and your striking power is limited. That's why it takes multiple punches from ground and pound to have an effect. The punching just isn't going to have the same strength or power as it would if the person is standing up punching. Those wing chun punches look cool in the demo but in a real fight much of that stuff wouldn't be practical. The best thing a wing chun practitioner can do in that position is to put his effort into escaping from the grappler's strength. Wing chun is not a grappling art so no wing chun practitioner should not be trying to out grapple a grappler.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look at the bright side. At least this guy realizes that grappling has become a fact of life for the modern martial artist and is trying to learn how to deal with it. On the other hand, apparently he has a ways to go. Seems easier to cross-train with somebody who already has this stuff figured out and tested. But that's just me.

That's a very dim "bright side".

We should keep in mind that this garbage is actually being taught to people.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can opener?

No it was this;

swKKRO.gif

BTW, your vid above brings back memories. We had some meathead come into our gym and try that crap on one of our female purple belts because he was getting frustrated inside her guard. Needless to say, the purple didn't release the armlock as fast as she usually does.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a very dim "bright side".

We should keep in mind that this garbage is actually being taught to people.
This is what bothers me the most. I don't mind people teaching but don't teach garbage no matter the fighting system. If you are going to do a demo then do a live sparring one that represents a realistic attack. The play that video slowly and then explain what is going on in the mind of the martial artist, what they were thinking or sensing during the struggle. Once that is done then do a walk through explaining the technique. Especially if the person is teaching on youtube. Anything less than that is just going to make it possible for someone to do the technique incorrectly or that doesn't work, and then get hurt because they tried to do something that they didn't understand.

I really hate videos like this because they really don't do justice for TMA's many times applications are applied incorrectly or the wrong application is picked for the situation. If they were to actually put on sparring gear and have someone come at them with 50% of the force, then they would have a better idea of what techniques should be used in a specific situation.
For example: starting at mark 0:45 No one is going to do a running shoot on you so stop making defense scenarios based on people running at you like that. If a person runs up on me like that then I'm thinking they have a knife. There are plenty of videos of attackers with a knife that run directly to people like that. People who are trying to shoot for the legs don't telegraph like that.

1:12 mark. When dealing with someone shooting on you, don't punch first then control the head. Control the head first then punch. We have seen hundreds of videos professional and street fight where the person who punches the shoot is the one that ends up on the ground. First stop the shoot from being successful and only after you have done this should you punch.

In the age of street fight video collections from youtube, there is no reason why TMA's should be making unrealistic attack demos that isn't representative of how people really fight. please make sure that your fighting system is addressing attacks like these

And please stop doing hollywood demos like this. I would be more impressed if there was a boxer in the video and the demo shows how the Hapkido student defends against the boxer and takes advantage of the boxer's weakness.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No it was this;

swKKRO.gif

BTW, your vid above brings back memories. We had some meathead come into our gym and try that crap on one of our female purple belts because he was getting frustrated inside her guard. Needless to say, the purple didn't release the armlock as fast as she usually does.

I have subbed a purple with a can opener. I defend with fist in throat or fist in eye socket. We have a guy who goes for it all the time.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ha ha ha.. someone has a cheap door. Why bother having one if you can do that to it. lol. Why was he destroying the door?

He was ticked off that his team lost to Rashad Evan's team.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are so many things wrong with that video that it's not even worth pointing out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh come on. Point out at least a couple of things. It'll be fun! :p
I'll let you have the honor. Videos like that is why people think kung fu sucks. There is just way too much trash out there claiming to be kung fu.