I'm New to this....?

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I am new to this website, so I really don't know what I'm doing. I am a white belt in taekwondo, so can someone help me out like getting to know the rules of Taekwondo, so I can ask questions; showing me the ropes of things? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks!:)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. I guess my knowledge of TKD is about the same as yours but there are a lot of TKD guys around. I'm sure they will be able to answer all your queries.

Enjoy the ride.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am new to this website, so I really don't know what I'm doing. I am a white belt in taekwondo, so can someone help me out like getting to know the rules of Taekwondo, so I can ask questions; showing me the ropes of things? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks!:)

Welcome to MartialTalk.
There might be one or two people here with some experience in Taekwondo...
But "the rules" doesn't really mean much.
What style of Taekwondo? Do you mean rules for sparring? Forms? Testing?
Maybe you could tell us more about the style of Taekwondo you're studying and what your goals are.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk.
There might be one or two people here with some experience in Taekwondo...
But "the rules" doesn't really mean much.
What style of Taekwondo? Do you mean rules for sparring? Forms? Testing?
Maybe you could tell us more about the style of Taekwondo you're studying and what your goals are.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Well not really the rules just stuff about sparring I should know. Best gear to get. Stuff like that. I know I really didn't fully explain what I was looking for but I was wondering about sparring mostly.

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. I guess my knowledge of TKD is about the same as yours but there are a lot of TKD guys around. I'm sure they will be able to answer all your queries.

Enjoy the ride.
Well your description says that you're a grand master so I would expect that you know more than myself. Can you tell me information about sparring and the best gear?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends. Schools have different views and rules on sparring and gear.
For example, we require gloves and footgear, and recommend headgear but it's not mandatory. Hogu (chest protectors) are optional, but rarely used. We don't really care what brand or style they are, so long as they provide adequate protection.
Other schools will require that you buy specific gear.

As far as sparring, without knowing the specific ruleset you're sparring under, the best I can say is:
Hit them more than they hit you. :)

Can you tell us anything more about your school? What organization is it with? What style of taekwondo is it? Who is the chief instructor?

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For example, we require gloves and footgear, and recommend headgear but it's not mandatory. Hogu (chest protectors) are optional, but rarely used. We don't really care what brand or style they are, so long as they provide adequate protection.

As far as sparring, without knowing the specific ruleset you're sparring under, the best I can say is:

Can you tell us anything more about your school? What organization is it with? What style of taekwondo is it? Who is the chief instructor?
Ha well that is very true. And I am enrolled in Northshore Karate, in the US, I live in LA. (The state) They do a lot of Krav Maga, Kick Boxing, and competition Taekwondo at green belt. Obviously I am not eligible for competition considering I am only a white belt but I do aspire to be there at some point in time. I have always enjoyed fighting but finally I'm taking those steps to become one. I have been told by my instructor that I am very intense so I'm guessing that is a good quality to have? I have no clue what makes one good at taekwondo. Good exercise routine daily, diet, strength training, good things to start off with besides going to my classes.

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Enjoy the ride.
Thanks will do.

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

What do you mean by what kind of taekwondo? I never knew that there were different kinds of that specific art.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ummm... yeah... there are a few...
You can find a partial list of taekwondo organizations here...
Sure, all taekwondo will share some traits, but "taekwondo" is a generic term, like "karate" or "kung fu". There are tons of varieties within each catch-all term. And each will have it's supporters and detractors. Each will have it's own rules for sparring. Each will have it's own standards for promotion. Each will have it's own rules for sparring.
Is THIS your school?

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ummm... yeah... there are a few...
You can find a partial list of taekwondo organizations here...
Sure, all taekwondo will share some traits, but "taekwondo" is a generic term, like "karate" or "kung fu". There are tons of varieties within each catch-all term. And each will have it's supporters and detractors. Each will have it's own rules for sparring. Each will have it's own standards for promotion. Each will have it's own rules for sparring.
Is THIS your school?
yes that is my school. oh ha I never knew that. is there anything I can practice like at a white belt level or what I should be able to do.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Totally generic advice...
General conditioning and flexibility. Balance. Pay close attention to how you're taught to perform specific techniques and then practice them, slowly, a million times. Don't worry about power or speed initially. Power and speed will follow from good technique.

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Totally generic advice...
General conditioning and flexibility. Balance. Pay close attention to how you're taught to perform specific techniques and then practice them, slowly, a million times. Don't worry about power or speed initially. Power and speed will follow from good technique.
Thank you for the advice. I am very grateful. I hope I will reach my goals and become a great martial artist just as yourself. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
:rofl: I've been called a lot of things, but I don't think "great" has ever been one of them.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well your description says that you're a grand master so I would expect that you know more than myself. Can you tell me information about sparring and the best gear?
Welcome to MartialTalk. And thanks for bringing it yo my attention that Dirty Dog is a Grand Master. I didn't reaize that. Very impressive. He's giving you good advice. He's probably the top TKD guy on this site.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, bro.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That "Grandmaster" and your "White Belt" are just the MartialTalk version of a post count. If you post, your "rank" goes up. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with a members rank within their particular martial art.
Your "rank" here can advance a lot faster than your TKD rank...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I should thank you for your confidence in my ability but I was awarded the 'grandmaster' title for spending too much time on MT. :D

However, although I might know a little more than you in my areas of training, I know very little of TKD.

:)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That "Grandmaster" and your "White Belt" are just the MartialTalk version of a post count. If you post, your "rank" goes up. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with a members rank within their particular martial art.
Your "rank" here can advance a lot faster than your TKD rank...
Sorry DD. I misread
Welcome to MartialTalk. And thanks for bringing it yo my attention that Dirty Dog is a Grand Master. I didn't reaize that. Very impressive. He's giving you good advice. He's probably the top TKD guy on this site.
Sorry DD. I misread the post, thinking he was talking to you. But I did mean what I said about you beng the top tkd guy on the site. :)

Latest Discussions