I'm New to this....?

Totally generic advice...
General conditioning and flexibility. Balance. Pay close attention to how you're taught to perform specific techniques and then practice them, slowly, a million times. Don't worry about power or speed initially. Power and speed will follow from good technique.
If you learn nothing more in your first year of training, learn this. DD hit it right on the head: get your basics down SOLIDLY. Don't rush. Practice does not make perfect, it makes habit. Perfect practice makes perfect. Do not try to kick head high until you can kick well belt high. And if you think you have done your basics enough....you haven't - go do them some more. :)

The WTF was not formed by any one man; it was formed by committee for one purpose and one purpose only: to oversee and promote tournaments using the ruleset developed for Olympic competition. That's it. Nothing more. The WTF has no curriculum. It awards no rank. There are no WTF schools because the only members of the WTF are national governing bodies that oversee Olympic-rules tournaments within a particular country. There is no such thing as "WTF taekwondo".
What you're saying about the WTF is a common misconception, but it's still wrong.

You're absolutely right, but where it gets confusing is that many/most KKW-style TKD practitioners refer to it as "WTF TKD" as shorthand. Like you say, it's not really correct, WTF is a sports organization not a martial arts style, but it's still common practice. I am curious how/why/when that practice developed - is it because it's easier for non-Koreans to understand/remember, because that's the logo that's on (officially sanctioned) sparring gear, as a counterpoint to "ITF TKD", or what? I have no idea.

Latest Discussions

Back