If your a Black belt you will teach!

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As with ATC, we don't require our BBs to teach or assist for that matter. That is something we give them to opportunity to do if they would like. If they do want to become a certified instructor, SBN will cover the costs of the instructor college, save food and airfare, for people he see want to teach. We look for students who are 3rd gup or higher to assist the instructors on the floor. As it stands, there are 6 certified instructors at our dojang. My previous dojang had it as part of the 2nd Dan testing to have a certain amount of hours assisting or instructing.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
If they do want to become a certified instructor, SBN will cover the costs of the instructor college, save food and airfare, for people he see want to teach.

DarkPhoenix, how long is the instructor college, is it something your organization offers annually? Where is it offered that folks may have to fly in for it?

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
DarkPhoenix, how long is the instructor college, is it something your organization offers annually? Where is it offered that folks may have to fly in for it?

It's four days long and it is in Arizona.

It is offered by Black Belt Schools International (United Professionals) and I am pretty sure they offer in quarterly. I am currently certified with Millenium Training (Roland Osborne) and will be getting my BBSI certs over the summer.
SBN only offers it to yudanja

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Black belts are not required to teach at our school, but a year instructing is a requirement for 2nd Dan at our school. So....if you are sticking around as a BB, you are instructing - simple as that. Though I've said it before, ours is not a commercial school, its run entirely by volunteers, and is $16 a month.
It is, unfortunately, the kind of school you have to leave as shodan if you want to get to 2nd Dan without instructing.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Black belts are not required to teach at our school, but a year instructing is a requirement for 2nd Dan at our school. So....if you are sticking around as a BB, you are instructing - simple as that. Though I've said it before, ours is not a commercial school, its run entirely by volunteers, and is $16 a month.
It is, unfortunately, the kind of school you have to leave as shodan if you want to get to 2nd Dan without instructing.

well, that is different though.

I used to go fencing in a club like this, we could only get an instructor once a week (he had to travel quiet a distance to see us, and with class ending at 10PM, it was a long night for him) so all the better and older members had to step up in the teaching for us to get anywhere.

If you only have volunteers, everybody has to chip in to keep the boat afloat!

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, in the ITA you have the choice to remain student or become an instructor. Not everybody is cut out to teach, plain and simple.

All instructors are required to have CPR/First Aide certification, renewed every year.

And still, when it all boils down the owner is the one who's name is on the paper trail.

I think the ITA also instituted a background check as well.
In ITA being an instructor trainee requires A LOT of time/required hrs put in teaching/volunteering at clinics, etc. With jobs and family it's hard enough to get the time to train, I personally don't have the time. I do find that even though I have the student BB stripe (once you reach decided BB in ITA you have to decide which path to take - student/instructor and then have the stripes put on accordingly) on my uniform I am asked a lot of questions and I do try to help out when I can but I can't teach.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have our students start leading the classes at about 4th or 3rd Kyu/Gup, with a black belt observing. It is part of their requirments to get some assiting teaching time in. They mostly do the warm ups following basic technique drills and some of the forms.

Latest Discussions