If your a Black belt you will teach!

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I knew that, that thread header would get your attention! How many of you require your 1st Dan or higher to teach. It could be stretching,paddle drills what ever. I had a Korean grand master and it was part of your curriculum to instruct.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have a requirement that my BBs teach, but I do rely heavily on them to do so if I have a schedule conflict due to work/family commitments.

I try not to impose too much on them as they are paying to train, not to teach. I do know of some instructors who mandate that at a certain rank, the student will run the class thru warm-ups or basics/kibon drills.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I knew that, that thread header would get your attention! How many of you require your 1st Dan or higher to teach. It could be stretching,paddle drills what ever. I had a Korean grand master and it was part of your curriculum to instruct.

In my dojo (isshinryu), all black belts assist with teaching. They also do not pay for training anymore. Fourth degree black belts may teach classes instead of just helping out. Most our dojo's black belts have been with the dojo for nigh-unto 20 years. It's a family, so nobody minds.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I firmly believe the role of instructor should be decoupled from a dan holder. They can and will coincide, but too often we see black belts or even brown belts (shudder) essentially being made indentured servants under the guise of 'learning' and 'helping your school'.

If you have an aptitude for teaching and a desire to do so, then that's something that should be worked out between the master of the school and yourself. You should NOT be forced to teach to promote to black yourself if you don't want to, and you should be given lessons on how to teach and conduct a class. Furthermore, this should be FREE to yourself; you should NOT be charged a so-called 'Certified Instructor In Training' program fee, as the school owner will only benefit from you.

Let's also think of this as an average paying customer. If I pay good money for martial arts instruction, I want to be taught by someone experienced with knowledge and a knack for communicating information both verbally and physically. I do NOT want to be taught, say, a form by the new shodan/chodan who is just barely beginning to unwrap the details for himself.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats a very interesting topic for me. Just the other day I was with a bunch of Black Belts at a seminar and out of nowhere someone made a comment about the one guy not wanting to teach the class. I agreed. After some talking we boiled down a similar point. He is a school teacher and I am the Sales Trainer. What we both realized is we teach, mentor and coach all day at work.
Most of the time I am brain fried and tired. I pay to walk on the mat and have that cured. Its a large part of why I train and train often. I dont mind if no one is there and I need to run a class. I also dont mind if we are working areas that I have something to add and am being asked to help.
Sadly though most times its , well there is a Black Belt so have him teach.
Its one thing for a student that wants to and signed up for it but its another story when you pay your fees to then be expected to run the class.
I get teaching the teacher but that should involve specific coaching in communication, how to watch the room and split groups up etc. Thats all fine.
Just be carefull and dont fall in to the trap of handing off the class because now you can. I know I am not the only one that gets tired of it.

p.s. luckily for everyone of me there are 10 eager teachers out there.

Dave O.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do know of some instructors who mandate that at a certain rank, the student will run the class thru warm-ups or basics/kibon drills.

I simply will not hold a class if I am unable to teach it due to emergencies or other reasons. I'm the one responsible liability-wise as I am the school owner. I am trained in CPR and first aid treatment. This may change when I officially add another instructor to the school, but he will be covered by my insurance policy and he WILL be likewise certified in CPR and first aid.

Not banging on you Miles or anyone else, but I truly believe too many school owners are way too casual about whom they allow to run a class. It only takes one incident for you to lose everything.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Really good posts.. I don't make my BB teach (anymore) When my grand master came to my school for my fifth dan test he was not happy that I didn't have my adult BB's running classes. So I tried it for a short time.
I had them helping in the childrens classes. It didn't go very well. They did just fine... it was the parents that I had problems with. I think they were just use to me being on the mat. I teach five classes per day, six day's a week it was kind of nice to have someone else out there for awhile.
Now I have them do the warm ups and paddle drills for the adult classes. Sometime they show up early and I have them help out until thier class starts. I have one 1st dan ( my son) who just started back this week after being gone for a year (school) I had him teach class for me yesterday. A parent of a student came up to me and said " who is this kid... Here really seems to know his stuff. Some of your BB"S looked really nervous, but not this guy." that made me feel good. I guess not everyone can or should be an instructor.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not require it but I will ask them to show a student who is having trouble to help. I also require all BB to be able to teach, does not mean they need to teach but are able to teach all application.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not require it but I will ask them to show a student who is having trouble to help. I also require all BB to be able to teach, does not mean they need to teach but are able to teach all application.

Thanks, Terry. I don't necessarily disagree with your approach.

It's one thing to ask a senior student to demonstrate a technique for the benefit of one person or a small group with you present to explain the finer notes. It's quite another to ask him to lead and teach a class.

I think we can all concede that being a black belt means you have some knowledge of a martial art. It does not mean you are qualified to instruct it, and truthfully if you aren't prepared you can actually do more harm than good when taking over a class.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I simply will not hold a class if I am unable to teach it due to emergencies or other reasons. I'm the one responsible liability-wise as I am the school owner. I am trained in CPR and first aid treatment. This may change when I officially add another instructor to the school, but he will be covered by my insurance policy and he WILL be likewise certified in CPR and first aid.

Not banging on you Miles or anyone else, but I truly believe too many school owners are way too casual about whom they allow to run a class. It only takes one incident for you to lose everything.

Well, in the ITA you have the choice to remain student or become an instructor. Not everybody is cut out to teach, plain and simple.

All instructors are required to have CPR/First Aide certification, renewed every year.

And still, when it all boils down the owner is the one who's name is on the paper trail.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I don't necessarily disagree with your approach.

It's one thing to ask a senior student to demonstrate a technique for the benefit of one person or a small group with you present to explain the finer notes. It's quite another to ask him to lead and teach a class.

I think we can all concede that being a black belt means you have some knowledge of a martial art. It does not mean you are qualified to instruct it, and truthfully if you aren't prepared you can actually do more harm than good when taking over a class.

This I agree with but for me all my BB are able to teach what I ask, I never put someone in a position to harm or teach something wrong. I guess we agree in alot here except the fact that I believe a true BB is able to teach what they have been tought and that every single one of my BB are tought from day one every single application and to explore what may work best for them. Great converstation going on here.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess we agree in alot here except the fact that I believe a true BB is able to teach what they have been tought and that every single one of my BB are tought from day one every single application and to explore what may work best for them. Great converstation going on here.

We're indeed closer than apart. To me however, all a black belt means is that you have some knowledge and some skill. No more, no less. I would have no problems promoting a mute person for example to black. Would I want him teaching my white belts? Well, with my apologies in advance to any mute people on MT who might throw the ADA at me, I'd have to be honest and say no.

People learn best when they are exposed to a variety of teaching methods. A good teacher will show something and explain it both verbally with visual context. It takes real SKILL to do this, and I have all the respect in the world for professional educators in martial arts or without.

granfire said:
Well, in the ITA you have the choice to remain student or become an instructor. Not everybody is cut out to teach, plain and simple.

All instructors are required to have CPR/First Aide certification, renewed every year.

And still, when it all boils down the owner is the one who's name is on the
paper trail.

Indeed. Makes sense to me. Do you have to pay to become an instructor? I recall that you did as my niece used to be with the ITA before leaving for an ATA school. That would be my only beef with how the ITA does it.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great point but also that same mute might be able to teach some other people of there kind, not saying anything bad here. I just believe everyone that wears a BB should be able if need ne teach what they have leand, not saying they have to by anymeans. I do believe the ITA still charges for there certification program.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Higher ranks are always expected to help the lower ones out.

(and yes, the ITA charges dearly for the privilege to become an instructor, well, it's not too bad, but it is a commitment, mostly time and sizable money, but you don't have to worry about somebody buying his BB off ebay teaching class)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Black Belts are not required to teach but they are expected to assist if asked.

Sr. color belts (3 Kup and up) are also expected to start assisting. No better way to improve yourself but to help a lower belt. Really makes you focus on technique and proper form. Also help the helper understand better as well.

Last edited:

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All adult students in my school are expected to assist with the junior classes that are given immediately before their class. For example, I attend class on Tuesdays and Fridays at 7:30, so I help with the junior classes that are on Tuesdays and Fridays from 6:30 to 7:30.

Learning to teach the curriculum is part of the curriculum for us. Below brown belt, adult students pretty much just help the kids with very basic things--how to tie belts, holding striking mitts, etc, and they do this as often as they are able, with no commitment to show up. Brown belts have a stricter requirement and are expected to make a commitment to assist with at least one class a week. If I can't make it to class, I am expected to contact the head instructor of that class (each location/night has its own head instructor--we're a BIG school) and let him know so he can line up other assistance. The degree of responsibility depends to some extent on the student's aptitude and desire. I want to have my own class some day, so I jump at any chance to teach. Higher belts also help lower belts in the adult classes. Brown belts and up do not pay to train.

Black belts are not required to have their own classes, but if they show up at a class, they are expected to assist.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am just a student and do not have aspirations of becoming an instructor. I have assisted, in class, when asked by the Master. I feel that it is an excellent way to learn/fortify your own technique. Having to explain what you are doing and why and having to come up with different ways to express the same concept is very beneficial. I also have some friends that I started training with, that are now instructors, and you can see a dramatic change/for the better in the technique. Running a class well it is just not my bag. I feel that if it were demanded of me then I would find something else to do.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are sometimes my sambunim asks me give the warm up, this is the kids class and then he teaches, some times he asks me to teach the last class at night and afther a good warm up I teach basics paying atention on good technik, no sparring, but some times a little one step sparring.

Manny

epi-do

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know at my school, black belts are not required to teach. All upper level belts are encouraged to assist with classes though, if they are at the dojang. As far as whether or not the ones that do teach pay for their training, I am not sure. I am currently a yellow belt, so it will be quite some time before I get to the point where I will be worried about it.