I was kicked in the head during sparring!

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
We only execute kicks to the head with control. Usually roundhouse/crescent at that. You people are hardcore. Of course, we don't wear catcher's masks either.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right in the jaw. Thank God I was wearing a helmet. It was back kick. After that, I saw a quick flash and quickly went down to the ground. I had a headache for two days after that. Ever happened to anyone here?

This is sort of like asking the swim team if they've ever been in the Deep end of the pool...

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The kicks described so far don't sound like accidents. They sound like back/turning kicks were deliberately used with less control. I could be wrong, but that was my impression.

In the case of my bruised chin, it was a collection of circumstances that led me to get my bell rung. First of all, the sparring shoes the guy was wearing; also the fact that I rushed into the kick, and that he lost his balance and fell forward when he kicked back. So the kick itself was intentional, but the level of force with which it was delivered wasn't. All a part of the game, IMO.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember one time....

It was probably the largest class my sifu ever had, and we were all crammed into the aerobics room of the Gold's Gym...

He had us all doing a version of Kicking Set....

My buddy got tagged in the face. I couldn't help but laugh, he grabbed his face with both hands, fell to his knees, and screamed, "Oh God!" ROFL .. I couldn't help it... it was funny...

...anyway...

When he got home we walked in and he told his wife about it who replied... and I'm not kidding either...she replied...

"I can't believe you got kicked in the face at karate class!!"

Still one of my favorite quotes to this day. LOL

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The kicks described so far don't sound like accidents. They sound like back/turning kicks were deliberately used with less control. I could be wrong, but that was my impression.
Yes but these kicks can be delivered with control, we do it every day. But sometimes you perform the technique with control but you may slip or your opponent may move in where you did not expect him/her to. Or you may just use bad form which leads to the kick going to the wrong place. A back kick to the chest can go to the head if your body position is wrong or you swing your leg rather than shoot it straight out. All not intentional but accidental.

Just saw this last night. Two black belts, one Ee Dan the other Sa Dan were just doing drills and the the Ee Dan lowered his body when doing the back kick and the kick slid up the chest to the chin. It did not hit hard as they were only drilling but the kick was delivered incorrectly. Just an accidnet.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree with you, kicks to the head/face would be with control, brain damage can occur not to mention a broken nose or broken theet.

No, I'm not Nancy, I know wath it feels to have a broken nose and believe me it's not funny.

The fact I've been beaten and now I try to protect my head using my guard, however as you know a fast turning back or hook kick is dificult to dodge or block.

Manny

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I`ve been hit in the jaw with a back kick. The guy normally has good control but he was fired up a bit because he was going to compete the next day (he took first place). Couldn`t chew properly for a few days after, without my mouthpiece it probably would have been a serious injury. Accidents happen, in MA as in other physical activity.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been Kicked and punched in the head plenty . With one exception I can remember which was a step sparring drill where we weren't supposed to hit each other, the main reason i got hit was because I let them (uninrtentionaly). This means I had my hands down. I wasn't faked out, the guy / gal wasn't faster or better, my habds weren't up, where they shouldhave been and they got an easy path to the noggin.

So, each wack to the noggin was really a learning experience reinforcing what not to do.

Pain is a great teacher.... but no one wants to go to his class.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to be in a tae-kwon-do school that has a pretty high standard in safety. When you start, you always start with chest, foot, hand, and head padding, and you have to control how hard you hit. They also have a rule of above the belt, below the head. Later, once you've trained enough, you get a red uniform, showing you are more advanced. When you have that, all you have is a chest defence (for points) and you have already shown you can control yourself. You're also able to block and dodge well enough to avoid mishaps. There've been a few good kicks at my head, but I always block or dodge.

Everyone has to draw their own line on the continuum between safety and realistic training. Some people like to be fully padded, some like less padding and being able to feel the strikes, relying on more control and more motivation for blocking. Some people like to push the envelope a bit toward more contact.

I'm glad your school's attitude toward safety is in line with your choices in this area. Sounds like you like your classes.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kicked in the head-yep, plenty of times.

It's an odd feeling when you get kicked in the jaw hard enough to make your ears pop....

Worst time though was when I was a kid, maybe 14 or 15. I wore braces and back then, they didn't have inexpensive mouthguards. I got kicked with a roundhouse which slid off my Jhoon Rhee Saf-T punches and smacked me right in the kisser. I had to excuse myself and peel my upper and lower lips from my braces. Lots of blood and I avoided orange juice for a few days....

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kicked in the head
Broken rib
Broken arm at a tournament
Broken foot
Toes and fingers too...
Can't tell ya how much I like poomsae in my older years...

MikeyMac

White Belt
Reaction score
Enough head shots to provide numerous concussions, a fractured fore arm, borken hand, broken finger, seperated shoulder, hyper extended arms (both) hyper extended knee, broken toes, and straining almost every joint on my body...and trust me this is not a long list of injury compared to some of the people who have been fighting for twenty or thirty years.

We did not train with padding, in fact my instructor did not allow it, even at low levels, he believed, as do I, that the ability to take a punch is important enough to spend some years learning it.

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's how I know our techniques really do work. I almost knocked my Sensei out with a spinning back fist one time. I didn't throw it full power but I still hit him harder than I meant to. Caught him just above the ear hole in his helmet. His knees buckled and it took him a few minutes to clear the cobwebs out of his head. I felt terrible about it but he said not to worry about it. It was his fault for missing his block. He seemed a little irritated right at first and then I think he was actually proud of me for pulling it off. To my recollection that's the only time I ever won a sparring round against him. I can only imagine what damage I'd have done if he wasn't wearing a helmet and I wasn't wearing gloves.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right in the jaw. Thank God I was wearing a helmet. It was back kick. After that, I saw a quick flash and quickly went down to the ground. I had a headache for two days after that. Ever happened to anyone here?
Nope... Never LOL