I was kicked in the head during sparring!

SSS

White Belt
Reaction score
Right in the jaw. Thank God I was wearing a helmet. It was back kick. After that, I saw a quick flash and quickly went down to the ground. I had a headache for two days after that. Ever happened to anyone here?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea getting kicked in the head is just part of your training. Does not make it any easier but it is the facts. In time you will reocvery and learn to see the kick before it comes and you will avoid alot of them. Keep going and improving everyday and you will get better.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right in the jaw. Thank God I was wearing a helmet. It was back kick. After that, I saw a quick flash and quickly went down to the ground. I had a headache for two days after that. Ever happened to anyone here?

Yep, many times. Welcome to Tae Kwon Do. It'll happen again. And you will probably deliver a few yourself.

It really is a lot of fun.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Three times I have to say, the first kick on the head I got was when I was testing for red belt, I got a spining hook kick to the jaw, it was a KO, we were wearing nothing but shin pads, my legs didn't respond me and went down almost unconcius. The second time doing sparring with a very good red belt who was a national champ he got me with a tornado kick in the mouth and drop my front theet, the last one (I hope) during sparring sambunim stped the fight but the other guy did not herd the comand KOMA and caught me offguard returning to my place when the spinning hook kick caught me in the nose.

Three good blows I have to say, and I hope not to get the fourth one.

Manny

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Its not the head kicks that hurts. Its the nutz......... When your tall and skinny, not many people can hit you in the head, but they always seem to hit you there....

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been known to block a kick with my face now and then
icon7.gif

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I have been kicked in the mellon more than a few times. I am not very proud of it, but it is a part of the training. You learn to not let it happen very often.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
More than a few times.

Reverse turning kick to the teeth. (Got caught flat footed when I was a 7th gup)
A couple of turning kicks to the jaw. (Really need to clench my jaw and keep my head lower. Both times my jaw pretty much shot sideways.)
Twist kick to the underside of the jaw. (Straight up and in the fleshy part.)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been kicked in the head with round kicks and cresent kicks but never back kicked to the head. You are lucky you head is still attached.

But welcome to the club.

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Being a short guy, I've been kicked in the head plenty with turning kicks :) No one's ever managed to knock me out though. I must be like Homer Simpson (if you've seen "The Homer They Fall" episode you'll know what I'm talking about).

The worst I had was where someone axe/chop kicked and caught my teeth on the way down, so I got a mouthful of skin and blood, then their heel dragged on my knee and left a nice big bloody stain on my trousers. Good times :D

You're lucky though. I've seen people get hit with back kicks to the head in tournaments, and sometimes it's a bucket-and-mop job if you know what I mean.

Always wear your headguards, boys and girls!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well getting kicked is part of the learning but if you go down again from a kick to the head see a doctor .
A simple rule ( even if hard to learn) is learn to block
I am sure that in time you will learn to see that kick coming and learn how to neutralize it

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Actually, it's your mouthpiece that normally saves you from the first hit. The helmet really saves you from the second hit (head to floor). Just in general.

Artemis_Neetcudt

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to be in a tae-kwon-do school that has a pretty high standard in safety. When you start, you always start with chest, foot, hand, and head padding, and you have to control how hard you hit. They also have a rule of above the belt, below the head. Later, once you've trained enough, you get a red uniform, showing you are more advanced. When you have that, all you have is a chest defence (for points) and you have already shown you can control yourself. You're also able to block and dodge well enough to avoid mishaps. There've been a few good kicks at my head, but I always block or dodge.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lets see if I remember my head injuries:

Kicked in the head yes.
Hit in the head with brick.
Hit in head with Nunchucks.
Hit in head with thick stick I remember something was moving around in my head.
Hit in head with wood plank.
Hit in head from bike fall left some sort of clot thing next to my ear.

Thats all I remember there might be more.

When do we get to talk about injuries friends have causes you.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You mean you've only been kicked in the head during sparring ONCE? I thought that happened to everybody on a weekly basis.

Seriously, though, I haven't been kicked in the head or face (yes, the face is a legitimate target in my school) too much lately, but have a lot in the past. I took a back kick to the chin last year from a guy wearing RingStar shoes, and spent a week trying to convince everyone who saw me that my husband doesn't beat me. It left a huge mulitcolored bruise.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was kicked in the nose once and it hurt for a few weeks. Definitely motivated me to take blocking more seriously!

Nice story, Stacey!

Latest Discussions