Sparring tonight, I kicked a guy below his red belt.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually I already made that joke further upthread. This time I was referencing a line from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

-Rob

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have pointed out, these things happen.

There's one BB in our school that I love to sparr. He's fast, excellent technique and strong. Only problem is, he keeps trying to jam my spinning back kicks. All this really does is keep the kick below the blocking leg. I have (so far) always managed to either stop the kick or at least change the angle. But that change in angle has meant that on 3 seperate occassions, I've dropped him like a sack of bricks after striking his femoral nerve. No sack smack so far, but I'm not sure that wouldn't be easier to deal with then your leg being totally numb for 2-3 minutes.
We're still friends, as far as I know. :)

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Funny we all do it and have it done. IMHO the article was right apologize, show concern and treat if required. SDhow respect!

I Just tagged an upper rank in the nose yesterday with a round kick. No harm no foul. "sorry, my fault, you ok?" "Yup" Hands up...fight.

OP
T

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I Just tagged an upper rank in the nose yesterday with a round kick. No harm no foul. "sorry, my fault, you ok?" "Yup" Hands up...fight.

Question on this...

When sparring, at least for our dojang, if you get tagged in an area that is proper for a strike, there is no foul. The way I understand it is if I perform a turning kick to the head, and my partner doesn't get his/her hands up in time, it's their own fault. The only time I can see when it's outside the lines is if there was not enough control with the strike and it lands too hard.

Or am I missing something?

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Question on this...

When sparring, at least for our dojang, if you get tagged in an area that is proper for a strike, there is no foul. The way I understand it is if I perform a turning kick to the head, and my partner doesn't get his/her hands up in time, it's their own fault. The only time I can see when it's outside the lines is if there was not enough control with the strike and it lands too hard.

My fault should have been more specific. We were working on one steps. No contact.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny we all do it and have it done. IMHO the article was right apologize, show concern and treat if required. SDhow respect!

Never say you are sorry.
Sean

texas_rebel_1980

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
our instructor teaches us to hit in the groin....he teaches our class focused on self defense.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Question on this...

Well, if you hit somebody on the uncontrolled side. a little harder than you should have, a little lower than intended, a quick sorry is cheap, showing you are not a jerk.

I got kicked very legally right under the short ribs, not once , but a couple of times in a short time span (not one day though) and while it was probably 90% my own fault (for not blocking or side stepping and rushing in) my opponents always said sorry. Since they were not out to actually hurt me.

It gives you the warm fuzzies that your are cared about! ;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, if you hit somebody on the uncontrolled side. a little harder than you should have, a little lower than intended, a quick sorry is cheap, showing you are not a jerk.

I got kicked very legally right under the short ribs, not once , but a couple of times in a short time span (not one day though) and while it was probably 90% my own fault (for not blocking or side stepping and rushing in) my opponents always said sorry. Since they were not out to actually hurt me.

Actually that is part of the problem. No one owes you warm fuzzies, nor do you owe them. Above all, you shouldn't expect to be fuzzied! Shut up and train, as it were.:ultracool
Sean

OP
T

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I agree. If the strike is outside the lines, either in strength or target, own up and check on the individual.

I'm specifically speaking about landing a good clean controlled shot on a proper target. Of course, in our dojang, we are taught to use proper judgement with who we are sparring with. We have some ladies in our class who are blue belts, in their 40's and 50's and not nearly as strong or as quick as I am, who I would never strike as hard as I would a fit 18 year old of the same rank. I've asked a couple 5th DANs in our class how they judge how hard to spar with lower ranked students... and they say they try to match the strength that they are being struck. They will strike a little faster, only as a learning tool for their partner. I will use that same philosophy once I finally get to spar with someone of lower rank. :D I got tagged REAL good by a 2nd DAN lady who side kicked me in the ribs. Knocked me back a good two feet. It didn't really hurt, but it did teach me to keep my lead arm lower to help protect my torso. :D

This last sparring session I had, I practiced shifting my lead stance from right to left... going as quickly as I could... and I shifted just as my partner chambered and kicked... struck me in the back. He said sorry, I said both our fault. Mind you, we never stopped, just a quick exchange, showing respect.

As far as saying sorry... it really seams to depend on who is sparring who in our dojang. It seems the lower ranks (below BB) will go there more often than the highers. I watched two young 3rd DANs free sparring, and there was plenty of non-intentional strikes outside the normal areas... back of the head, back... and never once stopped to say anything about those strikes. Whereas I would think a BB accidentally striking a lower rank, such as myself, outside the lines, would do a quick nod of the head and say something like, "my fault".

I personally like that people own up and acknowledge a mistake in our dojang. It doesn't necessarily have to be "I'm sorry", just a nod of the head sometimes is all that's needed. It really teaches the youngsters a lot about respect, also.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually that is part of the problem. No one owes you warm fuzzies, nor do you owe them. Above all, you shouldn't expect to be fuzzied! Shut up and train, as it were.:ultracool
Sean
LOL, they don't owe me a thing, true enough.
Like I said, my own damn fault to run in 2 side kicks within 3 weeks.
But they are not jerks. :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sean

We have as our conditioning coach a Scots Guards Sgt.Maj. his favourite expression is 'gang awa an get yoursel a cup o man up'.

I've seen several accidental groin strikes in MMA and kick boxing fights, the spectator's reactions are always the same, the females giggle and there is a collective sharp intake of breath from the men!

OP
T

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I will say this though - Looking around and sighting your target is more important than youll even believe until your actually doing it.Anyway, best of luck my good man!

After class tonight, I took an assistant instructor aside and asked him to go over the spinning reverse side kick with me. After a few times of missing the bag and/or not getting the distance down, I was nailing it square every time. You are very right about getting the head around and sighting the target. It also really helped to break the kick down into it's components, as another poster here suggested, and doing it slow with no kick at first.

Maybe it's just me, but I got hella dizzy after doing about 10 of those kicks in a row at speed. :)

Thanks again to everyone who posted their thoughts in this thread.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After class tonight, I took an assistant instructor aside and asked him to go over the spinning reverse side kick with me. After a few times of missing the bag and/or not getting the distance down, I was nailing it square every time. You are very right about getting the head around and sighting the target. It also really helped to break the kick down into it's components, as another poster here suggested, and doing it slow with no kick at first.

Maybe it's just me, but I got hella dizzy after doing about 10 of those kicks in a row at speed. :)

Thanks again to everyone who posted their thoughts in this thread.

No, it's not just you. That's pretty common. Practice spinning back and forth, alternating which side you're kicking on. That'll help a little with the dizziness. But you'll still have to take a break every few minutes to let your brain rest.

-Rob

Latest Discussions