I want to harvest your knowledge/Help me improve my system

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I request your input.

I have a system that I use to train myself (and others) in 'self defense'. It is made up of gathered knowledge from an abundance of sources, and some of it I made up.

It has been compiled it in the form of a training manual. I KNOW IT IS FLAWED. I also understand that it will never be perfect, and opinions/schools of thought differ.

So what I would like to do is post this training manual on this forum, so that the wealth of knowledge here can help me in making it better. Perhaps a chapter every other day. I would like feedback on all aspects. For example (but not limited to)

- Different schools of thought on theories
- Improvement of technical descriptions
- If you think that something just flat out is not right (preferably accompanied by how to improve it/what is right)
- If you think something is good but you have an improvement
- Gramatical errors (US English)
- Anything you think I should add or remove

etc, etc

Basically any constructive information you have.

I will then use the information I feel valid to re-write the manual (Ill post the revisions).

The Aim Of The Training Manual

The system has not been created in the mind of replacing formal training or established 'styles'.

Rather, the aim is for the participant to be able to learn the basis of fighting techniques in a short time, and then, if he/she wishes, can continue to train himself and his loved ones. It is hoped that from these base techniques that he/she will be able to adapt and apply the principles to other situations.

**MODS**
If you do not want me to do this let me know.

If it is ok, can you suggest a single place where I can post these chapters. It covers a fairlry wide range of subjects and I think it would be better if they where all in one place rather than all over the forum.

Thanks

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look, mate, I'm going to be blunt here. I watched all the videos you had up (before you closed your channel on you-tube), and what I saw was a level of skill and understanding that is a bit lower than I would expect from my white belts. There was nothing correct or safe in anything you showed, from basic breakfalls onward (you got those very, very wrong). The best thing you could do is to find a school, settle down to a number of years study, and forget about teaching for a while, leaving this created system behind.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I already have people who "harvest" my knowledge , and they pay me for the privilege.

I call them "students".

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you want to form a "style" off anonymous "opinions" from the internet? Theres alot of smart Marial Artists on this forum but in reality You have no idea whos a Martial artist thats been training quality material for 40 years and whos a 12 year old boy that watched Ninja Turtles.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you want to form a "style" off anonymous "opinions" from the internet? Theres alot of smart Marial Artists on this forum but in reality You have no idea whos a Martial artist thats been training quality material for 40 years and whos a 12 year old boy that watched Ninja Turtles.

I'm a fifty something who likes watching Ninja Turtles!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm sorry that some of the long time posters here are being somewhat rude. I have found a few things over the years that I believe might help you.

First, an emphasis on deadly techniques will generate the greatest potential for life saving self defense.

I also try to work on rounding out my techniques, if that makes sense. Rounding is a key element of self defense. hard angles, particularly acute angles, are right out. The occasional obtuse angle is okay, provided that you are executing the angle in a round manner.

Sparring is critical, and necessary, but I try to limit contact, and avoid working in an unscripted manner. Without a proper emphasis on technique that only a scripted interaction can offer, sparring is a complete waste of time. It's too chaotic and technique goes out the window. So, sparring yes. But unscripted sparring, no.

The uniform is vital. As they say in business, "You cannot climb the ladder of success if you dress in the costume of failure." If you aren't dressed in a manner that makes you look and feel like a warrior, you will not train like a warrior. I like red. It is the color of action and energy. Yellow is also okay. So, uniforms, yes. Red, yes. Pink, no.

Slow and steady wins the race. There is no need to move fast, and if your training is physically strenuous, you're "muscling" your technique. Focus on taking it easy and allowing the technique to do the work for you. At the end of a training session, you should feel rested and energized, ready to take on the world... or a mugger.

I'm sure I'll be able to think of more, but these are what I'd call the most critical elements of any true martial art.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the same generous spirit of sharing that Steve is offering, here are some more tips:

Pickpockets thrive in large, crowded areas where they can blend in and strike unnoticed. Stick to dark, isolated alleyways.
Remember: You can't get attacked by anyone if you preemptively attack everyone you encounter first.
Always check the backseat before getting in your car. If a menacing-looking man is hiding there, get a friend or coworker to accompany you.
When venturing out in public, cover your genitals with both hands while scurrying furtively from place to place.
In the event that you are mugged, switch immediately from Democrat to Republican.
Carry mace with you at all times. This medieval spiked ball is ideal for fending off would-be attackers.
If forced to fight, use Tai Chi to slowly defeat your enemy.
Going everywhere in an oversized hamster ball is a good way to ensure your safety. Be sure to avoid geysers, though.
Try to live in close proximity to the Batman.
If mugged, take the opportunity to do a little comedic "mugging" of your own. Gesticulate wildly and say, "Oh, no!"
Take a women's self-defense class. It won't protect you from an armed attacker, but you'll get a chance to bond with your "sisters."
Instead of a real wallet, carry a gag one that shoots ink or confetti when you open it. That'll show Mr. Mugger!
If you go jogging, wear sweatpants that say "Do Not Rape" on the *** and crotch.
When threatened by carnivorous space aliens, stand next to the guy featured most prominently on the movie poster.
Keep in mind that it's hard to rob someone who has taken the precautionary measure of setting him or herself ablaze.
If you must walk alone at night, appear as "street-wise" as possible by dressing like a prostitute.
According to the NRA, the best form of personal protection is to be in possession of a loaded firearm at all times. To ensure your personal safety, stay the hell away from NRA members.

(I have to give credit to Grandmaster Theo N. Ion for the above pearls of wisdom.)

Last edited:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm willing to offer information, but you should ask specific questions. Much of my training and the knowledge I gained from it will likely not make sense to someone who hasn't had similar experiences.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you gathering your information? What is the basis that you "made up" part of it from?

Do you know and understand the legal principles of self defense? The most common patterns of attacks and victimization? Verbal de-escalation?

szorn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry that some of the long time posters here are being somewhat rude. I have found a few things over the years that I believe might help you.

First, an emphasis on deadly techniques will generate the greatest potential for life saving self defense.

No offense but this is not something you tell a person to do if they don't have solid grasp of what self-defense is and if they don't understand the self-defense laws in their state and jurisdiction. "Deadly" techniques would only be justifiable in a lethal force assault and there are specific criteria that must be met before the assault can be considered "lethal" in most states.

Sparring is critical, and necessary, but I try to limit contact, and avoid working in an unscripted manner. Without a proper emphasis on technique that only a scripted interaction can offer, sparring is a complete waste of time. It's too chaotic and technique goes out the window. So, sparring yes. But unscripted sparring, no.

My understanding from the original poster is that this would be a "self-defense" system. Sparring is great for sport but has very little carry over to self-defense. Sparring is based on a give and take methodology and there is no such thing in a violent assault.

The uniform is vital. As they say in business, "You cannot climb the ladder of success if you dress in the costume of failure." If you aren't dressed in a manner that makes you look and feel like a warrior, you will not train like a warrior. I like red. It is the color of action and energy. Yellow is also okay. So, uniforms, yes. Red, yes. Pink, no.

Quick question, when was the last you were assaulted on the street while wearing your uniform? Again, great for sport training but doesn't reflect realistically for self-defense training.

Steve

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No offense but this is not something you tell a person to do if they don't have solid grasp of what self-defense is and if they don't understand the self-defense laws in their state and jurisdiction. "Deadly" techniques would only be justifiable in a lethal force assault and there are specific criteria that must be met before the assault can be considered "lethal" in most states.

My understanding from the original poster is that this would be a "self-defense" system. Sparring is great for sport but has very little carry over to self-defense. Sparring is based on a give and take methodology and there is no such thing in a violent assault.

Quick question, when was the last you were assaulted on the street while wearing your uniform? Again, great for sport training but doesn't reflect realistically for self-defense training.

Steve

I think you may have missed that Steve's suggestions were offered in much the same spirit as my own in a later comment.

The (possibly too subtle) implication was that FirstAction is not at the level where he can distinguish that sort of advice from the good kind.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think you may have missed that Steve's suggestions were offered in much the same spirit as my own in a later comment.

The (possibly too subtle) implication was that FirstAction is not at the level where he can distinguish that sort of advice from the good kind.
I didn't think it was that subtle.

I thought that the advise I gave was roughly the same as suggesting to a new member of a political internet forum to focus on nitpicking grammar as a way to undermine your opponent's credibility.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I most heartily disagree. The emphasis in self defense is to eliminate the threat. I read the book Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. In that book, the main character, Ender, beat a bully up so badly at the beginning that no one messed with him again at that school... ever. That was a great book. And I'm absolutely sure that if Sun Tzu were alive today, he would recommend it, too.
This is true, which is why I specifically endorse "scripted sparring." This is something I've developed myself, and it works way better than the standard 1-step or 2-step drills, which are hokey. This is the real deal... just... pre-planned a little so that you can focus on self defense. Way more giving and way less taking. Lots of pain for the bad guy and none for you. THAT'S self defense.
I wear a red or yellow gi top all the time. It's called a jacket... or a hoodie. Well, some people call them coats. I guess it could really be called anything. I call it a Gi.

And besides, I think you missed the point. It's about looking and feeling the part. If you don't feel like a warrior, you won't defend yourself like one. Carry yourself with confidence!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't think it was that subtle.

I thought that the advise I gave was roughly the same as suggesting to a new member of a political internet forum to focus on nitpicking grammar as a way to undermine your opponent's credibility.

I think your point was perfectly clear for anyone who
a) reads carefully
b) can distinguish good advice from terrible
c) knows you well enough to know that you are a knowledgable martial artist and not an idiot.

Apparently that still leaves room for some people to misunderstand you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think your point was perfectly clear for anyone who
a) reads carefully
b) can distinguish good advice from terrible
c) knows you well enough to know that you are a knowledgable martial artist and not an idiot.

Apparently that still leaves room for some people to misunderstand you.
Haha. I can be both, Tony! :D

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the spirit! You can have it all. You can be whatever you want to be. You can be a martial artist and an idiot and a three-toed sloth. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Latest Discussions