I need Some Easily learned Techniques to deal with ground fighting/grappling.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree completely with Steve--if you want to learn how to defend against grappling techniques, you need to learn grappling. I've said it before and I'll say it again until I die; the ONLY "anti-grappling" that actually works is learning grappling.

The only way for you to learn how to defend against throws, sweeps, trips, tackles or takedowns is to work throws, sweeps, trips, tackles and takedowns and learn how to do them so you learn where and when and how they are applied and where and when and how to prevent them from functioning properly so someone can't do them to you. The only way for you to learn how to get someone off of you when they are sitting on you and punching you is to work mount escapes. People can tell you to "fight with everything you have", "stick fingers in their eyes", "flail at them" or any number of other things but the simple fact of the matter is this--if someone with any level of grappling experience (this include wrestling and football, by the way) wants to put you on the floor and start beating the crap out of you, they are going to be able to do exactly that unless you know how to transition and control an opponent on the ground. Is the ground where you want to be in a self defense situation? No! But in order to prevent yourself from going there and to get back up if you end up there, you need to train groundwork.

Find a place to learn some form of grappling--judo, sambo, jiujitsu, wrestling, it doesn't really matter as long as they teach you how to prevent someone from taking you to the ground and how get from a weak position to a dominant position if you end up on the ground anyway.

tl;dr - Start learning a grappling art before somebody tackles you and punches the crap out of your face :)

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree completely with Steve--if you want to learn how to defend against grappling techniques, you need to learn grappling. I've said it before and I'll say it again until I die; the ONLY "anti-grappling" that actually works is learning grappling.

The only way for you to learn how to defend against throws, sweeps, trips, tackles or takedowns is to work throws, sweeps, trips, tackles and takedowns and learn how to do them so you learn where and when and how they are applied and where and when and how to prevent them from functioning properly so someone can't do them to you. The only way for you to learn how to get someone off of you when they are sitting on you and punching you is to work mount escapes. People can tell you to "fight with everything you have", "stick fingers in their eyes", "flail at them" or any number of other things but the simple fact of the matter is this--if someone with any level of grappling experience (this include wrestling and football, by the way) wants to put you on the floor and start beating the crap out of you, they are going to be able to do exactly that unless you know how to transition and control an opponent on the ground. Is the ground where you want to be in a self defense situation? No! But in order to prevent yourself from going there and to get back up if you end up there, you need to train groundwork.

Find a place to learn some form of grappling--judo, sambo, jiujitsu, wrestling, it doesn't really matter as long as they teach you how to prevent someone from taking you to the ground and how get from a weak position to a dominant position if you end up on the ground anyway.

tl;dr - Start learning a grappling art before somebody tackles you and punches the crap out of your face :)

I disagree slightly. You don't have to learn grappling to learn how to defend against it but you do have to train with grapplers. Kenelee if you have time whilst at college (and lets face it, its the best point in your life re time) go and train judo, wrestling, sombo or BJJ, they're great workouts and you'll learn loads. My advice would be though to keep practicing your TKD and to look at how you might adapt it based on what you pick up. The sprawl isn't the only take down defence even in mma and is certainly not what I would choose to do in the street.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I disagree slightly. You don't have to learn grappling to learn how to defend against it but you do have to train with grapplers. Kenelee if you have time whilst at college (and lets face it, its the best point in your life re time) go and train judo, wrestling, sombo or BJJ, they're great workouts and you'll learn loads. My advice would be though to keep practicing your TKD and to look at how you might adapt it based on what you pick up. The sprawl isn't the only take down defence even in mma and is certainly not what I would choose to do in the street.

You say you disagree slightly but training with grapplers should result in them teaching you at least pieces of a grappling art, so we don't really disagree at all. I would also like to point out that I did not say that Kenelee should stop training TKD, but simply start training in grappling.

I have to say, though, that I am curious as to why you would not sprawl in the street. Sure, you have other options available to you, but I fail to see the problem with sprawling when used appropriately. Are you concerned about banging your knees on the ground? I truly don't mean this in an argumentative way--I legitimately want to know what your concerns are with using the sprawl to defend a takedown, because I have not heard anyone else express that concern before and the only thing I can think of that might be an issue would be the possibility of banging your knees on the ground.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm A taekwondo practitioner ( but I take notes and moves from all manner of martial arts much like jeet kune do ) and we regrettably don't go over much ground fighting. I'll be going off to college in a matter of months and I'm unsure if the college I'm attending will have A Brazillian jit jitsu ( or other such martial art ) club. Are there any videos or explanations of moves I can do aid me in defending against tackles and or fighting off of my back?

For tackles, I know the best defense is too make sure they don't get their under hooks in and having proper footwork and stance. If you stop them from taking you off balance, then knees/elbows can be used etc etc. Sprawling can also be used to defend against it, but Seeing as I've never been able to properly practice sprawling it's not something I would actually want to try first hand on the street.

any pointers?

IMHO, I'd avoid video learning. Thats always a hot topic here, and a quick search will show you numerous threads on the subject. I feel that they're fine for reference purposes, but as a sole learning tool...no, they just don't cut it. I would certainly check to see if the college you'll be attending, has a BJJ or Judo club. Of course, depending on where you go, its very possible there could be a BJJ school nearby, which you could attend.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol okay I get the sarcasm. I was just saying it seems like something I would want to invest for just in case because I'm a smaller guy, and going off to college for four years :p. I just never want to overestimate my skills and become cocky, so I like to know as much as possible for any given situation is all.

No I am not expecting to be Assaulted.

I'll be attending the University of Arkansas at Fayettville.

How do I close a topic?

A quick google search:
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=bjj schools in arkansas

Not sure where these will be in conjunction with where you'll be going to school, nor am I sure of the quality of these schools, but its a start. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe this is semantics, but wouldn't you consider takedowns and takedown defense both to be grappling? By definition, if you're learning takedowns and how to defend them from someone competent, you're learning from a grappler.

What I am saying is that you should look for someone competent. And while each style emphasizes different aspects of grappling, they all offer takedown and defense. Bottom line is that if the guy teaching you takedown defense doesn't actively train with people who are good at takedowns, you're learning from the wrong guy.

I want to be clear, though, that this wasn't the point of my earlier post. In that post, I'm simply urging the OP to find a school and train. Nothing beats getting on the mats and doing it. You can't learn to bake without cracking some eggs.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You mentioned Aikido being in your area. That is what I would look into first. Many universities offer Judo as a class, at least one sememster of which will count towards your degree (sort of like taking gym in HS). That would be my second recommendation. I am a Hapkidoist, so if that is offered anywhere near you, that would be a very good 2nd MA to learn, but it is hard to find teachers in Hapkido: I don't mean a TKD school that claims to teach Hapkido because of 1 or 2 seminars the teacher may have attended.