Grappling/ground fighting

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My instructor went to a grappling/ground fighting seminar over the weekend.
We are now learning grappling/ground fighting over the next few weeks in addition to our normal stuff. We started last night and I am so sore. I'm hoping I can move tomorrow but I don't know.
At this point we are learning basic moves/conditioning and will put it all together later. If we live that long....

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm jealous CF'er. My old school in California had an instructor come in once a week for grappling. I really miss it.

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I strongly advise all TKD'ers to learn ground fighting/ground defense. A few years back a friend of mine well versed in BJJ easily took me down (and out). That was a real wake up call for me since I was a TKD instructor at that time. So, I spent several years really learning the ground side of things.

My STRONG advice is, if you are going to learn ground fighting/defense, learn it the right way. Personally, I would recommend spending a good amount of time in proper Judo classes or BBJ classes.

TKD'ers have to remember, your goal on the ground is to get back on your feet. In both Judo and BJJ, the object is sporting. DO NOT get mixed up in your goals while on the ground.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I strongly advise all TKD'ers to learn ground fighting/ground defense. A few years back a friend of mine well versed in BJJ easily took me down (and out). That was a real wake up call for me since I was a TKD instructor at that time. So, I spent several years really learning the ground side of things.

My STRONG advice is, if you are going to learn ground fighting/defense, learn it the right way. Personally, I would recommend spending a good amount of time in proper Judo classes or BBJ classes.

TKD'ers have to remember, your goal on the ground is to get back on your feet. In both Judo and BJJ, the object is sporting. DO NOT get mixed up in your goals while on the ground.

This is very good advice! Unless you are doing MMA where really you can chose how the fight goes, I strongly suggest you follow this advice!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I was very fortunate to have grown up with a father that taught me submission. So I had a great deal of training before I ever took a class and an even greater amount of knowledge before I took TKD.

To Independant_TKD listen you will. He speaks the truth.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TKD is a great martial art (when taught well and as a complete art), but it's main focus and strategy is based on striking from the outside and keeping an opponent at a distance. This is definitely not always an option in real life, especially in self defense where you might find yourself fighting "out of the hole" rather than squaring off against an attacker.

Learning a solid base in both sprawling effectively (under adrenal stress) and being able to groundfight well enough to post back to your feet is a must. And it will take more time and effort than most people expect. You need to train it regularly, otherwise you are merely burrying your head in the sand IMO.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad that some TaeKwonDoin are beginning to incorporate this type of stuff in their training...TKD HAS grappling, yet few "masters" instruct in it..it seems to have become a lost part of the art in the TKD community, as it was never really widely taught in the first place. In short ya got to know it to teach it...
You should study to relate the movements to your poomse/tul/hyung and see what you come up with...you may be surprised ;-) But thats another thread...
--josh

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I first moved back home from college, I was looking for a place to continue training and found a Tang Soo Do school that also practiced grappling. I was a 1st Dan in Tae Kwon Do at the time. They figured that I would have good kicks, but once it came time to grapple, they would own me. The first time one of them caught and held onto one of my kicks, I was surprised because I thought they were doing tournament rules, not mixed rules. I quickly regained composure and clinched in, going for a neck tie up while stomping down with the leg that hand been grabbed. I then pushed the guy's right arm up and ducked under it, wrapping my right leg around his right leg, leaned over and grabbed his other with both hands. I rolled a little backwards and then spread his legs as far apart as they could go. At this point in time, he was completely surprised and had no clue what had just happened, only that his legs were being used as my Thanksgiving Day wishbone. After he tapped out and I let him up, he asked what I had done. I replied, "That was a banana split. I wrestled for twelve years before taking up Tae Kwon Do." From that point on, they knew that this was one Tae Kwon Do Black Belt that they could not just throw to the ground and watch squirm like a wet noodle.
I too think that Tae Kwon Do students should learn at least a little bit of grappling so they know what to do if they are ever caught off or knocked off their feet. They do not need to be champion grapplers, only know what they will face and how to get back up to their feet initially. If they want to learn more later, great. If not, at least they know what to look out for.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am glad that everyone is getting a little bit of grappling added to what their skill-set, but I did not take up TKD for grappling. I took it up to increase my kicking skills and overall knowledge, not to get on the ground.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am glad that everyone is getting a little bit of grappling added to what their skill-set, but I did not take up TKD for grappling. I took it up to increase my kicking skills and overall knowledge, not to get on the ground.

I was in law enforcement for many years, and we would be required to watch real life videos of all sorts of altercations. In almost each and every one the fight ended up on the ground. I love TKD and it is my passion, but I'm glad I know what to do if and when it ends up on the ground.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My instructor went to a grappling/ground fighting seminar over the weekend.
We are now learning grappling/ground fighting over the next few weeks in addition to our normal stuff. We started last night and I am so sore. I'm hoping I can move tomorrow but I don't know.
At this point we are learning basic moves/conditioning and will put it all together later. If we live that long....

In one seminar you can only get a little tiny bit of grappling knowledge. If you and your school are going to pursue this then I would advise to have a regular grappling instructor (BJJ, MMA, etc) come in to do seminars to make sure that your skills are being trained properly. Good luck and I am sure that you will enjoy this new challegne.
icon14.gif

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In one seminar you can only get a little tiny bit of grappling knowledge. If you and your school are going to pursue this then I would advise to have a regular grappling instructor (BJJ, MMA, etc) come in to do seminars to make sure that your skills are being trained properly. Good luck and I am sure that you will enjoy this new challegne.
icon14.gif

I totally agree! Like with anything else, practice, practice, and more practice.

Latest Discussions