Anti-Grappling Techniques...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those fights or is that self defense? Just trying to be precise.

I think it would depend on exactly how you define the terms. I don't see a real difference, myself.
fight
fīt/
verb
  1. 1.
    take part in a violent struggle involving the exchange of physical blows or the use of weapons.
    "the men were fighting"
    synonyms: brawl, exchange blows, attack each other, assault each other, hit each other, punch each other; More
  2. noun
  1. 1.
    a violent confrontation or struggle.
    "we'll get into a fight and wind up with bloody noses"
    synonyms: brawl, fracas, melee, rumpus, skirmish, sparring match, struggle, scuffle, altercation, clash, disturbance; More

self-de·fense
ˈˌself dəˈfens,ˈˌself dēˈfens/
noun
  1. the defense of one's person or interests, especially through the use of physical force, which is permitted in certain cases as an answer to a charge of violent crime.
Doesn't look like the good Mr Webster really sees any difference either, in this context. To be precise.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think it would depend on exactly how you define the terms. I don't see a real difference, myself.

Doesn't look like the good Mr Webster really sees any difference either, in this context. To be precise.
Could you just do me a favor and dogear this post the next time you weigh in on self defense and fighting? Cause, you’re not being very precise for someone who likes to be precise.

Thanks!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Could you just do me a favor and dogear this post the next time you weigh in on self defense and fighting? Cause, you’re not being very precise for someone who likes to be precise.

Thanks!
- When someone uses the term self-defense, he assume he is the good guy and the other is the bad guy.
- When I use the term fighting, I assume I'm the bad guy (since I always attack first).

My logic is, if I'm the

- bad guy, the earth will be filled with all good guys. What a nice place to live in.
- good guy, I'll keep complaining that there are too many bad guys on earth. The earth is not a good place to live.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are those fights or is that self defense? Just trying to be precise.

An interesting idea that was given to me in the security industry is the fluid nature of in this case using force and self defence.

So to throw a person out of a pub correct force could be restraints. And so if I hit a guy people would ***** I was using inappropriate use of force.

But I could be operating as a security guard perform a restraint. Then get punched in the mouth and be no longer operating as a guard but merely a person defending himself. I am trying to escape the situation until I can operate as a security guard again.

So punching a guy back was appropriate.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

In the context of my post the two terms, as near as I can tell, are synonymous. Perhaps you'd like to explain how they're not?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In the context of my post the two terms, as near as I can tell, are synonymous. Perhaps you'd like to explain how they're not?
I’m not going to even try to explain your inconsistency. I’m simply observing it. Perhaps you could explain it?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not going to even try to explain your inconsistency. I’m simply observing it. Perhaps you could explain it?

I don't see any inconsistency. If two words are synonyms, you can use either. That's sort of the definition of synonym.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't see any inconsistency. If two words are synonyms, you can use either. That's sort of the definition of synonym.
And I’m very glad to see this. The next time you start going on about fights aren’t self defense, i hope you remember this exchange. I’ll be counting on you to have my back when someone suggests fighting isn’t self defense. It’s good to see you have come around.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
One hopes... and in general probably true.
However, there are certainly exceptions. I have not competed in a few years, and I have not competed regularly in a couple decades. But I still get in fights far too often, thanks to certain people in the ER.
I've seen you talk about this a few times over the last year or two, and it seems weird to me. Why would people in life or death critical condition want to fight, or have the strength to?

I'm not at all questioning the truth of your statements, I completely believe it, I just don't get it.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
- When someone uses the term self-defense, he assume he is the good guy and the other is the bad guy.
- When I use the term fighting, I assume I'm the bad guy (since I always attack first).

My logic is, if I'm the

- bad guy, the earth will be filled with all good guys. What a nice place to live in.
- good guy, I'll keep complaining that there are too many bad guys on earth. The earth is not a good place to live.

Bad guy/good guy is something that only makes sense from one side or the other.

It's like the old freedom fighter/terrorist divide. Same people, different perspectives.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen you talk about this a few times over the last year or two, and it seems weird to me. Why would people in life or death critical condition want to fight, or have the strength to?

I'm not at all questioning the truth of your statements, I completely believe it, I just don't get it.
I suspect it has to do with drugs and mental health issues, which can also end up in the ER.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suspect it has to do with drugs and mental health issues, which can also end up in the ER.
Maybe it's different in the USA. I don't think someone having a mental break or high on drugs would end up in an ER here, unless they were also suffering some sort of serious injury.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And I’m very glad to see this. The next time you start going on about fights aren’t self defense, i hope you remember this exchange. I’ll be counting on you to have my back when someone suggests fighting isn’t self defense. It’s good to see you have come around.

I don’t recall ever saying that fights cannot be self defense. A fight may or may not be self defense, depending on specifics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe it's different in the USA. I don't think someone having a mental break or high on drugs would end up in an ER here, unless they were also suffering some sort of serious injury.
Drugs and mental health are complicated issues in the usa. I don't know of the issues are unique to us, but they're definitely compkicated. Healthcare in general is difficult to u understand.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don’t recall ever saying that fights cannot be self defense. A fight may or may not be self defense, depending on specifics.

. Are they synonymous or not? Be precise, man.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

The ER isn’t like TV. There are plenty of people in the ER abusing anything from pot to alcohol to meth to PCP... and plenty of those will be violent.
People with actual life or death emergencies account for maybe 1% of visits.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drugs and mental health are complicated issues in the usa. I don't know of the issues are unique to us, but they're definitely compkicated. Healthcare in general is difficult to u understand.
Well sure, those are complicated issues everywhere. What I don't understand is that an ER, to my understanding, is where people get rushed to if they are in mortal danger or are suffering some sort of injury that require immediate medical attention. Why would you take someone suffering a mental episode or that is high on drugs to an ER? (unless its an overdose or the mental break involved self harm)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I am quite certain I said “in this context” Steve. Surely you understand that context is important.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ER isn’t like TV. There are plenty of people in the ER abusing anything from pot to alcohol to meth to PCP... and plenty of those will be violent.
People with actual life or death emergencies account for maybe 1% of visits.

Who said anything about 'like TV'? Nothing is like TV.

I don't even watch TV.

I guess the function of an ER is different in the USA than it is in Canada.

(as an aside, Ive never seen anyone get violent from smoking weed lol)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I would say they are synonymous in any context that can be defined. It only gets fuzzy when you define self defense as anything that keeps you out of conflicts, in which case just staying in your house is self defense. I'm not sure this sort of inclusiveness is useful to anyone(aside from the self defense industry)