Is it more effective to hit the knees lower legs of opponent when I do stick fight with a cane in self defense?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
As the title, I have been practicing 2 hand stick fight using a 22oz heavy cane. My thinking is to concentrate on swinging to the knee and lower legs of the opponent. It should be much harder to defend the stick when hitting lower. Just want to hear from others.

Thanks
 
I'd advise against it. The knee is a tempting target, but it's not actually that vulnerable. You can do a lot of damage with knee strikes. You can block with your knee (try it, if you spike a mawashi geri with a knee strike to the thigh, it's difficult to pull off but the effects are quite dramatic) It's a complicated joint, but actually a pretty strong one. Also, it's not ideal to put your hands below your waist when doing fighting of any kind.
 
I'd advise against it. The knee is a tempting target, but it's not actually that vulnerable. You can do a lot of damage with knee strikes. You can block with your knee (try it, if you spike a mawashi geri with a knee strike to the thigh, it's difficult to pull off but the effects are quite dramatic) It's a complicated joint, but actually a pretty strong one. Also, it's not ideal to put your hands below your waist when doing fighting of any kind.
A well bent knee joint is very strong against a frontal attack but weak against one from the side. A strike with a stick doesn't have the power to damage the joint in either case but that isn't necessary to be effective. A punch to the jaw very rarely results in it being broken yet is a common target in all contact MA sports for a reason.

The main benefit to a knee strike with a stick is the sharp pain it generates, even if the patella isn't broken. This immobilizes the fighter long enough to go for the head shot. And it's true that a low attack to the knee is harder to defend against than a higher attack line.

And since the stick extends your reach it's not necessary for your hand to go below your waist to strike a knee. The knee is an important target in most TMA, both empty hand and weapon.
 
I'd advise against it. The knee is a tempting target, but it's not actually that vulnerable. You can do a lot of damage with knee strikes. You can block with your knee (try it, if you spike a mawashi geri with a knee strike to the thigh, it's difficult to pull off but the effects are quite dramatic) It's a complicated joint, but actually a pretty strong one. Also, it's not ideal to put your hands below your waist when doing fighting of any kind.
Thanks for the reply. For single hand swing with a 10oz stick, I agree. But as I specified, I do 2 hand swing like samurai sword using a 24oz heavy stick with heavy tip, it's aluminum stick. I doubt the knee is stronger than that.

My point is it's hard to grab the stick or block when I hit low. They can pick up the knee to block, that might be exactly what I want.

Took me a while to get used to hit low, it's very different than hitting high to the head. Months of practice hitting a 100lbs bag. It's easy to hit to the head. I am practicing hitting low and high to make it unpredictable.
 
A well bent knee joint is very strong against a frontal attack but weak against one from the side. A strike with a stick doesn't have the power to damage the joint in either case but that isn't necessary to be effective. A punch to the jaw very rarely results in it being broken yet is a common target in all contact MA sports for a reason.

The main benefit to a knee strike with a stick is the sharp pain it generates, even if the patella isn't broken. This immobilizes the fighter long enough to go for the head shot. And it's true that a low attack to the knee is harder to defend against than a higher attack line.

And since the stick extends your reach it's not necessary for your hand to go below your waist to strike a knee. The knee is an important target in most TMA, both empty hand and weapon.
Ah, OK. I do apologise, I can only advise from an unarmed point of view- I've never been a stickfighter, except in my imagination. Thanks for correcting me.
 
I think it depends a lot on how exactly you are targeting the knee. If you are bending forward at the waist, and swinging the cane horizontally... you will be off balance, no structure and presenting your unprotected head and neck to your attacker.

I would have to see how you are attacking the knee....
 
I think it depends a lot on how exactly you are targeting the knee. If you are bending forward at the waist, and swinging the cane horizontally... you will be off balance, no structure and presenting your unprotected head and neck to your attacker.

I would have to see how you are attacking the knee....
I practice bending the knees to have a little deeper horse stand and try to swing horizontally as much as possible to get the max reach. No, bending the body forward is a bad idea.

I was surprise it's very different from standing straight and hit the head of the opponent. Takes a lot of practice to hit hard toward the knee and shin.

Two hands swing give much better control, swinging circle is much smaller. Good for real life situation where you don't have a wide open area to swing. I practice in hallway and bathroom and still can hit hard.
 
Depends on what the person that you're fighting has. If he's unarmed or has a short weapon, go for it. Depending on how quick you are, they may just jump out of the way which is fairly easy to do, but the plus side is that they won't be able to block or grab your cane, and it's pretty tough to close in on someone swinging at your legs.

If he has a gun (and you've still decided the best option is to fight), go for whatever you can reliably hit quickest...or his arms, I suppose. If he has a long weapon himself, you don't want to go towards the legs because you want to be able to have your weapon defend if needed, and instead will be offering your upper body/head to the attacker.
 
Depends on what the person that you're fighting has. If he's unarmed or has a short weapon, go for it. Depending on how quick you are, they may just jump out of the way which is fairly easy to do, but the plus side is that they won't be able to block or grab your cane, and it's pretty tough to close in on someone swinging at your legs.

If he has a gun (and you've still decided the best option is to fight), go for whatever you can reliably hit quickest...or his arms, I suppose. If he has a long weapon himself, you don't want to go towards the legs because you want to be able to have your weapon defend if needed, and instead will be offering your upper body/head to the attacker.
I really have not thought this far, just an old man that at least have a cane to fight off attacker if needed. I want something that is non lethal. I also have pepper spray and stun gun in my pocket if needed.

When I was young, I used to carry pistol everywhere I go, but I started asking myself whether I can live with taking a life. I stopped carrying in the 90s. I was a good shooter, been to competitions. I average 70% hitting the black center at 25yds. Just I don't think I can live with taking a life.

Byrner is a good choice, too bad stupid Kalif cannot sell pepper balls, only the solid rubber balls. That takes away the stopping power.

Mod Edited: Message edited to remove political content.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It would probably be more effective to target the nerve point in the thigh (common peroneal) that Muay Thai roundhouse kicks target.

BUT, that being said. if you need to use a cane to walk and are being attacked, I would go for targets that instantly incapacitate your attacker. Its not a stretch of the imagination that there is a great risk of great bodily harm to you from the attack (Michigan's standard for deadly force).

PS: As always, this is not legal advice, just something to consider.
 
It would probably be more effective to target the nerve point in the thigh (common peroneal) that Muay Thai roundhouse kicks target.

BUT, that being said. if you need to use a cane to walk and are being attacked, I would go for targets that instantly incapacitate your attacker. Its not a stretch of the imagination that there is a great risk of great bodily harm to you from the attack (Michigan's standard for deadly force).

PS: As always, this is not legal advice, just something to consider.
I tend to agree but also know from experience that pants like jeans do a good job of lessening the effect.
 
It would probably be more effective to target the nerve point in the thigh (common peroneal) that Muay Thai roundhouse kicks target.

BUT, that being said. if you need to use a cane to walk and are being attacked, I would go for targets that instantly incapacitate your attacker. Its not a stretch of the imagination that there is a great risk of great bodily harm to you from the attack (Michigan's standard for deadly force).

PS: As always, this is not legal advice, just something to consider.
I don't need cane to walk, I am still doing a lot of exercise. I can do 90 pushups, 50 situps in one set fast. curll 40lb dumbbell, spending 20mins a day on punching and stick.
 
I don't need cane to walk, I am still doing a lot of exercise.
You may want to look up the law where you live. If you don't need a cane to walk.... then in some places it is considered a weapon. Below is a California lawyer explaining California law... a normal cane is fine, a cane that has extra weight is not. You have a special weighted cane, that you do not need to use to walk and that you practice using as a weapon.... It would be very beneficial to know what the law says exactly in the location you are taking that cane.

 
You may want to look up the law where you live. If you don't need a cane to walk.... then in some places it is considered a weapon. Below is a California lawyer explaining California law... a normal cane is fine, a cane that has extra weight is not. You have a special weighted cane, that you do not need to use to walk and that you practice using as a weapon.... It would be very beneficial to know what the law says exactly in the location you are taking that cane.

Don't worry, I don't put lead, just a thick aluminum tube with rubber tip. Also, I am old and just had a hip replacement, not some young kid holding a cane.

Mod Edited: Message edited to remove political content.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I really have not thought this far, just an old man that at least have a cane to fight off attacker if needed. I want something that is non lethal. I also have pepper spray and stun gun in my pocket if needed.

When I was young, I used to carry pistol everywhere I go, but I started asking myself whether I can live with taking a life. I stopped carrying in the 90s. I was a good shooter, been to competitions. I average 70% hitting the black center at 25yds. Just I don't think I can live with taking a life.

Byrner is a good choice, too bad stupid Kalif cannot sell pepper balls, only the solid rubber balls. That takes away the stopping power.

Mod Edited: Message edited to remove political content.
Don’t make political comments on this forum.
 
You may want to look up the law where you live. If you don't need a cane to walk.... then in some places it is considered a weapon. Below is a California lawyer explaining California law... a normal cane is fine, a cane that has extra weight is not. You have a special weighted cane, that you do not need to use to walk and that you practice using as a weapon.... It would be very beneficial to know what the law says exactly in the location you are taking that cane.

Michigan has the same law. A cane is legal to carry, but if it is a "weighted or fighting cane", then it is considered a weapon.
 
I've dropped an experienced fighter with a knee shot (inside of knee) using a 10 oz rattan stick. I've seen two split knee caps from single handed rattan sticks. A heaver cane with twice the weight? Yeah, that would do the trick.
Hi Lamont

How are you? I need to call you TEACHER and MASTER.

You are the one and only teacher on 2 handed stick fight. It's been 5 years and I am still practicing what you taught me in your video. I make sure I practice about 10 to 15 minutes a day 6 days a week on your Casting strike. I really looked around on other styles, there's NOTHING I like.

I use 2 hands, so I can use a heavier cane. I concentrate on simple strike, I practice hitting the knee and shin more. Actually it's a lot harder to hit low, I have to bend knees down a little to hit low so I can get the reach. I keep it simple, just 4 hits, 2 highs and 2 lows. Only thing I added from your video is the foot work, step in to hit, step back. More importantly, I practice to step to the side and hit, try to avoid direct confrontation.

I still watch your video once a while. Just in case, this is the video that change everything for me. I practice kick boxing like 5 to 10mins with this. That's my aerobics part of the workout on top of the weight training.

Thanks so much TEACHER.

 
Back
Top