How old where you when you started?

warder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
arnisador, i went to Norwich University the Militaryy College of Vermont. We were the school that founded ROTC. I know from reading your posts that you taught West Point. And I was at the WMAA camp in Buffelo this year. I never had the chance to talk to you, but I was there when you got your certificate.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Norwich is a great school! Half military, half not. A colleague of mine just took a position there. They now have a Modern Arnis program under Jeff Delaney's IMAF.

I'm now at one of the few colleges in the country that still has a mandatory ROTC requirement for all freshmen, though that's about to change due to lowered ROTC staffing requirements.

Sorry I missed you at the camp! I'll be there next year of course--maybe we'll meet then.

OP
H

H@pkid0ist

My mother was always overly protective of me, so in spite of her my stepdad put me in when I was 6. Since then I have went through about 5 different styles until I settled on Hapkido.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

when i was 4 my father started teaching me judo but i don't remebr it to much. at 5 i was enrolled in a tiny tots martial arts class. I wanted to be hong kong foohi!! My dad thought it built character so he started him early. It's funny because around 10 I wanted to stop because my friends didn't do it and he wouldn't let me. Now I guess i should be thanking him for that.

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

Started 1st time at 29. Took 3 years off. Started again at 33. Am now 35 and going for Black soon. Woo Hoo.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

glad you came back!! When do you test for black? any time frame?

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by hapki-bujutsu
glad you came back!! When do you test for black? any time frame?

April, 2004 - no date set yet.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

thats pretty close but leaves plenty of time for training. do you train in an art where you can practice on your own or is it more of a grappling style where for most you need another person? The key is always pratice and more practice. Before my tests I use to go in early and have people who had reached where i was going give me some input. Not everyone may like that but I thought it helped me alot.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was a busy week for me back in 1986!! I turned 13, started karate (Ed Parker's American Kenpo) and got braces all in the same week. I am now 30 and still studying!! I do wish I had been involved in the martial arts earlier, though the two years before I started, I was in gymnastics and I think that really helped prepare me for martial arts flexibility-wise.

:asian: :karate:

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by Shodan
It was a busy week for me back in 1986!! I turned 13, started karate (Ed Parker's American Kenpo) and got braces all in the same week. I am now 30 and still studying!! :asian: :karate:

Shodan: Do you still have braces? :D (just teasing - couldn't resist).

Hapki: Some stuff I can practice by myself, some stuff my invisible friend helps me with and some stuff I need a body for, but I have plenty of people to help me w/that. I'll be ready to rock!

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha!! And No!! Fortunately no more braces on my teeth!! I did have them on for 3 years though! Now I have a knee brace, does that count?!! :D

:asian: :karate:

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Started at 12, just a month from my 13th birtday. I am 36 now ! Dang i feel old, LOL Mithios

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Started at 5...with the typical "Kid Karate Class". I didn't get serious into it until my freshman year of highschool (15ish?)

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
Late comer. I dabbled with MA during my initial enlistment, but didn't really get into it until my mid twenties.

andy

OP
T

TonyM.

Oh my! Someone close to my age. Started at 10, now 51. Also went to Vermont College when it was owned by Norwich. Second oldest student and one of two vets at the time. (pesky cadets used to follow myself and kevin D. around until we asked them to cut it out.)

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Started in Hapkido at 6- stayed with it until we moved to a new neighborhood when I was 9.

At 18, as soon as I got college, I signed up for a Tae Kwon Do class. There were 2 different ones to choose from. Turns out I got lucky and picked the right class. :)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
30 years old here. Did the mandatory hand to hand in the military but back then it was something of a joke. I didn't start formally training until the age of 30, in kenpo, studied that for 2 years and swapped to nihon goshin aikido.

Latest Discussions