Is the average age of MartialTalk members 10 years older now than it was 10 years ago?

Renshi, kyoshi, and hanshi are not really titles to be used as a form of address. They are more like achievement awards. One wouldn't greet a top college graduate as, "Hey, cum laude Smith." In some circles it may be OK to address a very senior blackbelt as "Shihan."

Such misuse of terms as quoted above are often done out of honest ignorance, sometimes simply following the example of their own teacher who is ignorant of such matters of their art. Using such terms in Okinawa or Japan this way would certainly lower one's perception of your TMA knowledge and even character. Someone rising thru the dans should educate themselves on the art they represent.
My wife is Japanese and we have had this discussion. This is definitely an American thing, and I do believe you are right about honest ignorance. Plus, the truth is, Americans love titles. Even if they don't fully understand their meaning or even if they are using them in the right context. My teachers who have been in the art for a long time don't get too wrapped up in the honorifics. As I mentioned, sensei is just fine. Another interesting thing in regard to American MA schools is how they use the term sensei. I see many putting sensei in front of their name where it traditionally follows it "Smith sensei" vs Sensei Smith.

My aikido school was more traditional and referred to the teacher with sensei after the name. We also started class in seiza and bowing in that position. In my Kenpo class we stand and do the fist and palm, and bow to the front. Very different indeed! Of course, this is Kenpo vs Aikido and the differences are astounding.
 
ā€˜Sensei’ literally means ā€˜one who has gone before’, meaning a person who has previous experience of something-they’re a bit further along the path than you are; they’re ā€˜advanced’. Thus, all other titles are superfluous. When I hear of people placing it before their given names, I become suspicious of their credibility and the use of any of the other terms is merely ego-massaging, self-aggrandisation pointing to an inferiority complex and a small p*nis! 😐
I think the putting sensei before your name is a very American thing.
 
Renshi, kyoshi, and hanshi are not really titles to be used as a form of address.
I’ve heard people refer to themselves as ā€˜hanshi’ and chortled to myself.
They are more like achievement awards.
Hanshi means ā€˜exemplary model’, someone whom is worthy of being emulated and the characters for it are the same as ā€˜shihan’ (master teacher) but transposed.
One wouldn't greet a top college graduate as, "Hey, cum laude Smith." In some circles it may be OK to address a very senior blackbelt as "Shihan."
I’ve heard an 8th Dan kyoshi address an 8th Dan hanshi ā€˜kancho’ (館長) or ā€˜head of the training hall’.
Someone rising thru the dans should educate themselves on the art they represent.
I agree!
 
I can only speak for myself as well and I'm 20 years older than I was 10 years ago.
There was a thread not long ago asking why there are no masters here posting. My thought was that a good many of us are masters, we just don't think of our selves in those terms. My first karate class was in 1978. That's a long fricken time. I don't think I'm that good and I know others here are way better than me and have more years under their belt and more hours on the mat. I have a tremendous amount of respect for others here. It might be a bit egotistical to go around calling yourself a master or something similar like professor but if you have been training hard for a decent amount of time dont sell yourself short. I think many of us do, just to distance ourselves from the 15th degree super grand poobah types.
My first Japanese Jujutsu class was 1972, and many years and many styles later..... I am a geezer
 
Well, I can't speak for everyone else.... but I'm ten years older than I was 10 years ago. And as much as it pains me to admit it. I an 20 years older now, than I was when I first logged on to MT.... during the days of the mighty Bob... and there were one HECK of a lot of MA folks posting iin multiple threads back then....however, as far as I can tell, only a couple of us are still here, and no where near as much as we were in those days
Since I have had a name change, I am not certain how many years I have been on here, but around 15-years.
 
Back
Top