Is the average age of MartialTalk members 10 years older now than it was 10 years ago?

skribs127 148

Grandmaster
I was thinking about this while discussing age in another thread. I wonder if the average age of those active on this forum goes up by 1 every year?

This isn't a Reddit group like r/martialarts which has hundreds of thousands of followers, and likely has thousands of new young martial artists joining every year. The majority of the discussions on here are between old members. I know my age goes up by 1 every year. I was in my mid-20s when I joined this forum, I'm in my late-30s now.

Are we becoming a group of old codgers? Less the students, more the masters?

Or are we constantly getting new, young blood that desires a conversation different than that on normal social media sites?
 
I'm 40 and most people here seem to be older than me. I'm not complaining, I have more to learn here than I have to contribute, which is the way around you want it to be really.
 
Well, I can't speak for everyone else.... but I'm ten years older than I was 10 years ago. And as much as it pains me to admit it. I an 20 years older now, than I was when I first logged on to MT.... during the days of the mighty Bob... and there were one HECK of a lot of MA folks posting iin multiple threads back then....however, as far as I can tell, only a couple of us are still here, and no where near as much as we were in those days
 
I strongly suspect that the average age has gone up. We don't have that many really active members and this sort of forum (a dedicated website for moderated discussion of a specific niche interest) is definitely not in vogue anymore, especially for younger people.
 
I strongly suspect that the average age has gone up. We don't have that many really active members and this sort of forum (a dedicated website for moderated discussion of a specific niche interest) is definitely not in vogue anymore, especially for younger people.
Last time I suggested fora are for older people, various members said I was ridiculously wrong! 😆
 
I was thinking about this while discussing age in another thread. I wonder if the average age of those active on this forum goes up by 1 every year?
Not if we’re travelling close to the speed of light or are near a black hole.
I know my age goes up by 1 every year.
See above
I was in my mid-20s when I joined this forum, I'm in my late-30s now.
If you give. e you average velocity I can work out how long that is with
t = t0/(1-v2/c2)1/2
Are we becoming a group of old codgers?
Somecwere codgers when they joined!
Less the students, more the masters?
Self-proclaimed masters only.
Or are we constantly getting new, young blood that desires a conversation different than that on normal social media sites?
I think the odd person joins, asks a few questions, receives various answers and then rarely posts again. It’s a bit of a ‘blokey’ thing to post on a (martial arts) forum; my Karateka other-half has absolutely no interest in posting on here even though I expound its many delights. This forum is essentially several enthusiastic blokes meeting in a pub and chin wagging…without the benefit of beer!
 
Oh why did you choose to have me on ignore gyakuto my sweet? Was it something I said? Something I didn't say? Something I left on your porch? Something that was on fire, that you stepped on? the fact that you were then covered in what I shall politely term 'muck'?
 
I’m the oldest 5th grader you will ever meet. 54 physical age, 12 mental age.
My last 10 years have passed so quickly. I can't even remember what I have done anything significant.

八歲與十八歲中間是十年,十八歲與二十八歲中間是一生,二十八歲往後不論是三十八、四十八、五十八,都只有一瞬。人啊,就得在二十八歲之前把想做的事都做了,別留遺憾。

“Between eight and eighteen is ten years; between eighteen and twenty‑eight is a lifetime. After twenty‑eight—whether thirty‑eight, forty‑eight, or fifty‑eight—it all passes in a blink. So a person ought to do everything they wish to do before twenty‑eight, and leave no regrets.”
 
This forum is essentially several enthusiastic blokes meeting in a pub and chin wagging…without the benefit of beer!
After thinking about it for a few years I came to realization that alcohol was not my friend. I was allergic to it. After a few beers I would break out in handcuffs
 
My last 10 years have passed so quickly. I can't even remember what I have done anything significant.

八歲與十八歲中間是十年,十八歲與二十八歲中間是一生,二十八歲往後不論是三十八、四十八、五十八,都只有一瞬。人啊,就得在二十八歲之前把想做的事都做了,別留遺憾。

“Between eight and eighteen is ten years; between eighteen and twenty‑eight is a lifetime. After twenty‑eight—whether thirty‑eight, forty‑eight, or fifty‑eight—it all passes in a blink. So a person ought to do everything they wish to do before twenty‑eight, and leave no regrets.”
We are fully aligned in this. I never expected to live to see 30 winters. I’m 54 now and my last twenty years have been so peaceful and wonderful. I am grateful every single morning to wake up. I know that change is part of what we must accept and embrace here. This can remove all fear from a person if they believe that change is part of this lesson we are here to learn. We can endure any condition unto change.
 
Well, I can't speak for everyone else.... but I'm ten years older than I was 10 years ago.
I can only speak for myself as well and I'm 20 years older than I was 10 years ago.
There was a thread not long ago asking why there are no masters here posting. My thought was that a good many of us are masters, we just don't think of our selves in those terms. My first karate class was in 1978. That's a long fricken time. I don't think I'm that good and I know others here are way better than me and have more years under their belt and more hours on the mat. I have a tremendous amount of respect for others here. It might be a bit egotistical to go around calling yourself a master or something similar like professor but if you have been training hard for a decent amount of time dont sell yourself short. I think many of us do, just to distance ourselves from the 15th degree super grand poobah types.
 
I can only speak for myself as well and I'm 20 years older than I was 10 years ago.
There was a thread not long ago asking why there are no masters here posting. My thought was that a good many of us are masters, we just don't think of our selves in those terms. My first karate class was in 1978. That's a long fricken time. I don't think I'm that good and I know others here are way better than me and have more years under their belt and more hours on the mat. I have a tremendous amount of respect for others here. It might be a bit egotistical to go around calling yourself a master or something similar like professor but if you have been training hard for a decent amount of time dont sell yourself short. I think many of us do, just to distance ourselves from the 15th degree super grand poobah types.
I was thinking the same thing when I was reading that thread. It seems that most masters in the martial arts are often humbler than not. Most of my teachers are just fine with being called sensei even though a number of them actually have higher titles: Shihan, Kyoshi, etc. I think most master's will never refer to themselves as master's but will be looked at and treated with respect by their students. That's due to the respect they have earned over their many years of teaching. I feel safe to say that there are probably quite a few professors/master's here on this forum, they just don't go around tooting their horns. As for me, I feel fine admitting I am just a young jedi padawan (well not that young) 😄
 
‘Sensei’ literally means ‘one who has gone before’, meaning a person who has previous experience of something-they’re a bit further along the path than you are; they’re ‘advanced’. Thus, all other titles are superfluous. When I hear of people placing it before their given names, I become suspicious of their credibility and the use of any of the other terms is merely ego-massaging, self-aggrandisation pointing to an inferiority complex and a small p*nis! 😐
 
higher titles: Shihan, Kyoshi, etc.
Renshi, kyoshi, and hanshi are not really titles to be used as a form of address. They are more like achievement awards. One wouldn't greet a top college graduate as, "Hey, cum laude Smith." In some circles it may be OK to address a very senior blackbelt as "Shihan."
Sensei’ literally means ‘one who has gone before’, meaning a person who has previous experience of something-they’re a bit further along the path than you are; they’re ‘advanced’. Thus, all other titles are superfluous. When I hear of people placing it before their given names, I become suspicious of their credibility
Such misuse of terms as quoted above are often done out of honest ignorance, sometimes simply following the example of their own teacher who is ignorant of such matters of their art. Using such terms in Okinawa or Japan this way would certainly lower one's perception of your TMA knowledge and even character. Someone rising thru the dans should educate themselves on the art they represent.
 
Back
Top