How much do you really need?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like FlyingCrane's idea of maintaining a small core, and I appreciate it the more as I train. I like learning lots of new stuff, but ultimately I try to focus on maintaining a small toolkit of go-to techniques (my Matt-Fu).

In reading this I'm reminded of something from an Iain Abernathy podcast: criminals and attackers think more in terms of strategy and not tactics. I.E. I'm going to surprise him and punch him in the face as opposed to I'll lead with a jab then go downstairs with a cross to the plex...

I think the corollary is true: Martial Artists need to avoid getting too caught up in tactics and must keep strategy (environmental awareness, possible weapons, escape routes, et.) in mind.

Enjoy! To quote a French Quarter tour guide I once had: Once you hit Bourbon street, take a right if you want to see the dive bars and seedy strip clubs, but be sure to take a left if you want to see the seedy strip clubs and dive bars.

Thanks, we will have the benefit of other friends who live in NOLA so will dodging the Dive bars and such and finding the interesting ones hiding around the locals go to.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, we will have the benefit of other friends who live in NOLA so will dodging the Dive bars and such and finding the interesting ones hiding around the locals go to.

Memory from the past, I remember some students getting a little bit cocky and the instructor telling them, if they thought they were that good, they could take a trip down to a certain local bar frequented by iron workers. Then they could really check how good they were. LOL

Back in the day, it was not uncommon for MAists to go to dive bars as part of their training to test out their stuff. Also, "dojo storming" was common as well. Going in to other schools and challenging them.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
How much do you really need? In my opinion, none of it. If you take care of items 1-4, any MA training is an unnecessary supplement.

The exception is if you are a member of a category of people who are at higher risk for some reason. IE, if you are a coed on a college campus. If you are a cop. If you are a mall security guard. If you go to a school with a lot of gang activity.

Agreed. I always think of the 80/20 rule (theory). It states that 80% of your results will come from 20% of your techniques. Also, that 80% of your training time should be spent honing/perfecting those 20% of the "go to" techniques. The remaining 20% of your training time can be spent training the lower percentage techniques that are very scenario specific.

Latest Discussions