What is your self defense specialty?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have bounced for years in some places so rough the police black listed us. And essentially wouldn't turn up.

I have fought about a thousand guys under a lot of different and varied conditions. I have been punched and choked and eye gouged and bitten and even recently chased around by a meth head with a bow and arrow. I saw a guy once blinded by having champagne thrown in his eyes. A lot of weird and random stuff.

My SD expertise is I have experimented with a or heard first hand reports of a lot of the street elements of street fighting. (That 10%) All those variables like fighting in a suit or with weapons, fighting on uncertain surfaces. Even ambush and counter ambush.

I did break in response and had to creep through buildings looking for robbers.

I did loss prevention and had to chase villians through shopping centres.

I have done first aid response, prevented suicidal people from jumping off car parks, treating sucking chest wounds from stabbing victims.

I have worked with dogs. I have used bats on people. I have fought guys in to hand cuffs.

I have also played with a lot of self defence systems I did hock hokcheims rsbd. I have done ppct and it's variants. A bunch of Australian freestyle suff like Zen do kai. And then I went out and actually tried to do that stuff on people.
Not to mention surviving all the beasties crawling around your continent.

Tell you one thing, Drop, if you ever do a book, tapes, whatever, I'll be the first to get them.

And don't discount that notion altogether. It could help a lot of people.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Tell you one thing, Drop, if you ever do a book, tapes, whatever, I'll be the first to get them.

Drops series on how to knock a guy out with a rape choke.

I could see that being a best seller.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Still a term that doesn't mean anything without specifics.
I agree with your point, but that term is at least better than self defense. It lets people know you're planning to teach actual "combat skills", whatever those may be, rather than saying that what you teach will offer some mystical benefit outside combat.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Same. And the good thing is, Drop will get to define and use all the terms however he wants!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The term "combat" include:

- battlefield fight.
- street fight.
- personal challenge.
- tournament.
- sparring/wrestling.

To me, "combat specialty" mean "door guarding skill".

This old man's (my teacher's young brother) door guarding skill is embracing. If he can move behind you, he can pick you up, and throw you in front of him, or behind of him.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Drops series on how to knock a guy out with a rape choke.

I could see that being a best seller.
Seriously, Bear, it's something you should keep in the back of your mind. It would sell. It would help people. And you just might make a fair amount of casheola.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seriously, Bear, it's something you should keep in the back of your mind. It would sell. It would help people. And you just might make a fair amount of casheola.

If I did it. I would like to find all the street fighters and nasty pasties that I learned the moves off and make them show it.

That craw (not the craw. The Craw) choke I just mentioned for example was a bouncer mates signature move.

That would be kind of fun

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Or if not help people, at least amuse them! I think a screenplay staring Ryan Gosling... :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's true of a lot of terms that still get used effectively in communication. If we talk about fighting skills, that is a HUGE area and doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. But we at least understand kinda what it means, and can get to the specifics in discussion. So the term is vague and maleable, but gets us into the right concepts.

I think "self defense" does the same thing, though it's definitely much more vague. If someone wants to talk about "self defense skills" we already know they're probably not talking about the context of what goes on in a boxing ring (though we know those skills can be a subset of what comes up). It's about as vague as saying "combat sport", which can cover a huge range, and won't mean the same thing to everyone.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that's true of a lot of terms that still get used effectively in communication. If we talk about fighting skills, that is a HUGE area and doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. But we at least understand kinda what it means, and can get to the specifics in discussion. So the term is vague and maleable, but gets us into the right concepts.

I think "self defense" does the same thing, though it's definitely much more vague. If someone wants to talk about "self defense skills" we already know they're probably not talking about the context of what goes on in a boxing ring (though we know those skills can be a subset of what comes up). It's about as vague as saying "combat sport", which can cover a huge range, and won't mean the same thing to everyone.
Kind of. If I say someone is a fighter, we have an idea of what that means, even if I'm speaking figuratively and not literally. It's also easily defined.

But you can't say someone is a self defenser. That makes no sense. It's makes no sense as a verb, at all. It can (and does) mean pretty much whatever someone wants for it to mean. At best, it's too vague to be useful. At worst, it's something sales people use to shill a product and add mystique to their brand.

So, just to clarify what I had in mind with this thread, if we can all agree that "self defense" is in some way related to personal safety, and let it go at that, then we all have some experience. For example, a social worker/case manager who works with SSI recipients for a public hospital is going to have a lot of self defense experience, whether he or she knows martial arts or not. I'd argue that they could have more practical experience than some people who purport to be self defense experts.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hence self defence, combat sport, boxing skills, Speciality is a good thing to discuss.

The biggest issue with self defence is you don't have to be trained to do it. If we add avoiding conflict. Then you don't even have to know if you are doing it or not.

Am I doing self defence now?

I mean nobody is attacking me.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We'd have to get the right casting to play Drop Bear, though.
Okay. How about Sean Gunn? :D
guardians-of-the-galaxy-kraglin-600x347.jpg

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hence self defence, combat sport, boxing skills, Speciality is a good thing to discuss.
Exactly. And you can even dig in further than that. The actual experiences of a Sheriff who works in a small town on a police force of one person is going to have different experience than a street level narcotics officer in Chicago.