How many times should someone visit a class before trying it out?

AlanE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think you don't really need to watch more than 1 class before deciding to either participate in a trial class or look for a different school-- unless the first class you observed was somehow atypical, in which case I don't see the harm in watching a second (typical) class.
But I think you should be able to have at least 2 trial classes before needing to sign up.

When I first went to my school, I happened to show up on a testing day. So I watched that, and got a good overview of the different levels and different material at each level by watching everyone test, but I had no concept of what a typical class was. I went back the next night intending to just watch but I was invited to participate, so I did. However, I don't think anyone would have objected if I had said I would rather watch the class, since the 1st one I saw was not in any way a typical class.

What seems cool about showing up on test day is being able to see some of your future classmates humbled and stressed. This might take some nervousness away if a person were prone to this. But showing up on test day is not like an advertised tournament, of course. Usually only students know when that day is.

The trial classes do help. If nothing else you'll determine that the instructors breath just can't shake the smell of cigarettes and you can smell it both in standup and mat work!

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To the original poster: do you mean just watching? Or trial lessons with someone particepating?

Observing. Depending on the situation, observing might be best since it at least gives you the opportunity to leave if you decided the place is not for you without wasting the teacher's time.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 2 classes. Me, personally, like to watch one beginner class to watch how basics are taught. One advanced class to see if they've been advanced and look good or bad.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with this, although a few years back I wouldn't have.

My Xingyi Sifu had this policy and when I asked him why his response was he felt it made his students uncomfortable to have some one watching them and then they would not train properly

I actually like being watched. I perform better when there is someone observing. I like to show what we do as Shotokankas. They want to see what we do, and I'm going to give them a good example.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which Xue is one reason why I have prospective practitioners train for free for a class rather than watch. Truthfully the practitioners that are already students deserve the majority of my focus and that also includes not being distracted, etc. Personally I do not mind being watched but I have had students in the past not enjoy it. That and that I want to give everyone on the mats my undivided attention is just one more reason why I have everyone get up and try the training to see if it is right for them.
icon6.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which Xue is one reason why I have prospective practitioners train for free for a class rather than watch. Truthfully the practitioners that are already students deserve the majority of my focus and that also includes not being distracted, etc. Personally I do not mind being watched but I have had students in the past not enjoy it. That and that I want to give everyone on the mats my undivided attention is just one more reason why I have everyone get up and try the training to see if it is right for them.
icon6.gif

Here Here if you want to watch go to the webpage or youtube, class is for those willing to walk on the mat and train.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really think it's a difficult line between what the observer/prospective student wants & the teacher & current students are comfortable with.

The observer may have many misgivings or be unsure of their abilities (and may not want to look foolish in front of "experts"). They might have ulterior motives for observing (eg. want to pick up techniques without paying for them). Their also might be mistrust of an instructor who says, "we don't allow anyone to watch, but you can take a class."

The instructor &/or students might have mistrust of someone who watches, might feel self-conscious of folks watching them, &/or the viewer just might be a distraction to what they are there to do.

It is a balancing act for instructors to find something that works; both for current as well as prospective students.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No doubt it is a balancing act.

Clearly if you are teaching to the masses or at a large commercial school then people will be watching. It would be really hard not to at that point. If you are smaller and looking at having small classes then having a no viewing policy is easy. Personally when I talk to people who are really interested it has never been a problem for them to get out on the mat and train. The number one reason I see regularly for people not to train is when they find out the cost. That info just like the free class is some thing I give right away on the phone because once again I want people who want to be there irregardless of all the other factors involved. (once someone is committed for awhile if they need help then you can bet I will go out of my way personally and financially to help them) The last thing I need is lots of people in the training hall taking time from the practitioners who really want to be there. However I recognize that if I was teaching to the masses then it would be different.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a policy that if you are interested you need to get out on the floor and train. In other words a no viewing policy is in effect. This in my opinion helps to keep away people who are not really interested.
icon6.gif

Not even for the first class?

I don't allow anyone to just 'jump in' to a class. (Current Bujinkan students from other dojo are, of course excepted).

Nor would I ever just jump on the mat in someone else's (non Bujinkan) class. Really you don't know who any of these people are, they could be total nutters.

If it's less likely that someone will come back if they watch instead of train for the first class, then that doesn't sound like my problem.

I wonder if although people who watch are less likely to come back, they may be more likely to stay long term? I don't know, but could be.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not even for the first class?

I don't allow anyone to just 'jump in' to a class. (Current Bujinkan students from other dojo are, of course excepted).

Nor would I ever just jump on the mat in someone else's (non Bujinkan) class. Really you don't know who any of these people are, they could be total nutters.

If it's less likely that someone will come back if they watch instead of train for the first class, then that doesn't sound like my problem.

I wonder if although people who watch are less likely to come back, they may be more likely to stay long term? I don't know, but could be.

I know this was not directed at me but my Xingyi Sifu who would not allow any one to watch would sit and talk to them at length to learn about them and allow them to learn about him and his class as well and then invite them to a free class.

The MMA/Muay Thai? BJJ school sets up appointments to sit and talk before inviting the potential student to 2 weeks of free lessons and one free private lesson. But he will not allow someone to come and just watch a class.

Both feel that this is the best way to protect their current students and help someone decide whether or not they want to be a student. And they feel the initial meeting helps with figuring out who the
total nutters.
are

However neither is throwing anyone into anything other than basics which gives them time to try the style and watch a class. They are just part of the class and not some person sitting on the sidelines watching. And I have to tell you 2 weeks of free lessons and a private sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know this was not directed at me but my Xingyi Sifu ...

I'm going to be perfectly honest. I think it's a marketing thing to do this. I would bet that it is the case that people who participate are more likely to come back. I think savvy school owners know this as well.

I could see limiting it if there were a ton of people every session who wanted to watch, but getting someone watching once every couple of weeks or so doesn't seem so big of a deal. If there were a ton of people, I would just designate a day for them all to come. I think it's as much of a distraction as you make it.

I would have serious reservations about participating in a marital arts class without being able to see what I was getting into first. Seems like basic common sense to me not to allow people to toss me about without getting the lay of the land.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm going to be perfectly honest. I think it's a marketing thing to do this. I would bet that it is the case that people who participate are more likely to come back. I think savvy school owners know this as well.

I could see limiting it if there were a ton of people every session who wanted to watch, but getting someone watching once every couple of weeks or so doesn't seem so big of a deal. If there were a ton of people, I would just designate a day for them all to come. I think it's as much of a distraction as you make it.

I would have serious reservations about participating in a marital arts class without being able to see what I was getting into first. Seems like basic common sense to me not to allow people to toss me about without getting the lay of the land.

I thought it was marketing too until I talked to them.

And neither is running a big school. And my xingyi sifu is no longer teaching Xingyiquan because the classes were to small and he was not making enough money. But he does have a rather large taiji class (he is not my taiji sifu). The MMA school does appear to be rather succesful and it does have a rather large number of LEOs and serious MMA types.

My Taiji Sifu will allow someone to watch, and it is rare, but it is still, IMO, distracting.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Stephen I usually have a good feel about anyone before they get on the mats. That is why I talk to them and also meet them before class to get to know them better. On the mats I am not worried and if they were nuts then that could be an issue whether they were watching or participating. However, I have never had a person be an issue with this methodology. I think in this way you put it on the student to make the leap. Ie. meaning they need to get on the mat at some point and in this manner they do so and in doing so allow you to observe whether you wish them to be a student in your system. Marketing may be an issue with some people that teach but it is not how I do it. Specifically because I limit class size and in general we have no more than six or so people participating in any class. In other words I enjoy having very, very small classes so that quality is the issue rather than quantity. That is an advantage when you do not teach for a living. (and I totally respect anyone who does this) No in the end it is a choice and for us a rather good one! ;)

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well Stephen I usually have a good feel about anyone before they get on the mats. That is why I talk to them and also meet them before class to get to know them better.

I'm not so much talking about it from the perspective of the one teaching as the one watching. (Although, I do ask people to watch a class first. To be honest, if someone can't sit still and watch for two hours I doubt they have the patience to train for years.)

As I said, I would be extremely hesitant to participate in a class I was not allowed to watch beforehand. I would respect the decision making skills of someone who asked to watch a few times to see what it's all about before joining than someone who just wanted to jump right in.

There's a lot of weird people in the martial arts.