How Do I Quit?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't need to tell a girl that you no longer love her. Just stop seeing her. She will get your message. If she calls you, just tell her that you are seeing other girls.

That's what I like about you Kung Fu Wang , you sound like one of those real sensitive new age guys.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, hopefully the owner pretty much refused to cancel my account, but stated that he would "put it on hold in case I decided to come back" for a month or two. I didn't want to cause a scene or a fight with all of the parents there (it was during the kids class) so I just continued to tell him to please cancel it. I am going to see if I can call my bank and get it manually canceled.

Question for you: by him putting your contract "on hold", what does that mean exactly? Is it 'on hold' for a few months, on the assumption that you'll have a change of heart and come back? Does this mean that it will be on hold forever?

As I said earlier, you're free to deal with this as you choose, however, just be aware that in the situation you describe, it sounds like nothing more than a verbal agreement. You said to cancel, he said he'd put it 'on hold'. However, unless something is in writing, well, IMO, it's your word against his. As for cancelling the monthly payments, you need to contact the agency thats taking the payments, not just the bank.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Question for you: by him putting your contract "on hold", what does that mean exactly? Is it 'on hold' for a few months, on the assumption that you'll have a change of heart and come back? Does this mean that it will be on hold forever?

As I said earlier, you're free to deal with this as you choose, however, just be aware that in the situation you describe, it sounds like nothing more than a verbal agreement. You said to cancel, he said he'd put it 'on hold'. However, unless something is in writing, well, IMO, it's your word against his. As for cancelling the monthly payments, you need to contact the agency thats taking the payments, not just the bank.
There's also the possibility that he will start charging again in a few months, or years, and hope you don't notice, and if you do, hell just say that you agreed to 'put it on hold' but since nothings written down, he can make up when you said to start charging again. Highly suggest you get some form of written consent that he will not start charging again unless you verify (also through written consent) that you're coming back to the dojo(dojang?).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's also the possibility that he will start charging again in a few months, or years, and hope you don't notice, and if you do, hell just say that you agreed to 'put it on hold' but since nothings written down, he can make up when you said to start charging again. Highly suggest you get some form of written consent that he will not start charging again unless you verify (also through written consent) that you're coming back to the dojo(dojang?).

Exactly! This is why I suggested the certified letter. Better to have the paper trail.

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know how to find out the company that is taking out the money. It just says "Withdraw (karate school's name)"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how to find out the company that is taking out the money. It just says "Withdraw (karate school's name)"

Ask! As I said in the beginning, of course the school is going to do everything in their power to keep you. If you go, that's lost money. However, they can't hold you hostage. To be honest, the more I read about your situation, the more I think this school is a mcdojo, run by a bunch of *******s!!!!

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I called my bank this morning......they can discontinue the payments, but it will cost me $25 for them to manually discontinue it. They said I can contest it if they go ahead and bill me. So, there ya are.....in the long run, it's going to cost me money either way.

I can either wait and hope that they do not charge me on the 1st.
Or
They will charge me, and I will have to pay to get it manually discontinued and then fight the monthly charge they applied to me.

I just hope that, for once, someone does the right thing and I will have hte opportunity to just put this behind me.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I called my bank this morning......they can discontinue the payments, but it will cost me $25 for them to manually discontinue it. They said I can contest it if they go ahead and bill me. So, there ya are.....in the long run, it's going to cost me money either way.

I can either wait and hope that they do not charge me on the 1st.
Or
They will charge me, and I will have to pay to get it manually discontinued and then fight the monthly charge they applied to me.

I just hope that, for once, someone does the right thing and I will have hte opportunity to just put this behind me.

IIRC, there is a fee that banks charge if you request a stop payment. IMO, I'd still try to find out who the billing co. is, and contact them, either by phone, writing or both, and have them stop payment. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know if the billing co. can try to come after you. Either way, at least you have something in motion to stop the payments.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again -- realize that it often takes a payment cycle or 30 days to stop these sorts of transactions, and they often require written notice be made. You probably ought to follow up your meeting with a letter, especially with "on hold" thing. Not legal advice or guidance, but I'd send a letter to the effect of "As we discussed, I am leaving the school. Please direct the billing company to cease debiting my account as soon as possible." If you want to reiterate the reasons you're leaving, that's your call -- but make sure that you make it clear that you want the payments to stop. Certified, Return Receipt gives you proof that the letter was received, but that's your call. If you send it now, depending on the billing cycle, I would look for a November debit -- but not December.

Reactions: MJS

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't even imagine charging someone after they have quit the school. It's just bad business. You treat people fairly.... What kind of a place keeps charging someone who no longer attends, regardless of the contract?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
again -- realize that it often takes a payment cycle or 30 days to stop these sorts of transactions, and they often require written notice be made. You probably ought to follow up your meeting with a letter, especially with "on hold" thing. Not legal advice or guidance, but i'd send a letter to the effect of "as we discussed, i am leaving the school. Please direct the billing company to cease debiting my account as soon as possible." if you want to reiterate the reasons you're leaving, that's your call -- but make sure that you make it clear that you want the payments to stop. Certified, return receipt gives you proof that the letter was received, but that's your call. If you send it now, depending on the billing cycle, i would look for a november debit -- but not december.

qft!!!

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is why I suggested sending a letter. Regardless of the earlier suggestions to be polite, or honorable, to do it in person or on the phone, anyplace that is charging you money is a business...and you need to put it in writing.

Personally, I never allow auto-withdraw from my central bank account. I have a seperate one set up for AW, and deposit the funds to cover it. These days, with the hacking of ATMs and businesses, stolen debit cards, etc. it's just safer.

Reactions: MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't even imagine charging someone after they have quit the school. It's just bad business. You treat people fairly.... What kind of a place keeps charging someone who no longer attends, regardless of the contract?

If you join a gym, show up for 2 weeks, and then get lazy and not show for 2mos, the gym doesnt care, and neither does the billing co. They're all getting paid. In more places than not, the 'fine print' will show that there are steps to follow if one wishes to leave. If those steps aren't followed, then it doesnt matter whether or not you say "I QUIT!" the bottom line is, its all verbal. Morally and ethically is it wrong? Sure, but like its been said, the paper trail is whats going to matter most when push comes to shove.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I never allow auto-withdraw from my central bank account. I have a seperate one set up for AW, and deposit the funds to cover it. These days, with the hacking of ATMs and businesses, stolen debit cards, etc. it's just safer.

You know, I never thought of doing something like that. Excellent idea! You're right, nowadays, you can't be too safe.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you join a gym, show up for 2 weeks, and then get lazy and not show for 2mos, the gym doesnt care, and neither does the billing co. They're all getting paid. In more places than not, the 'fine print' will show that there are steps to follow if one wishes to leave. If those steps aren't followed, then it doesnt matter whether or not you say "I QUIT!" the bottom line is, its all verbal. Morally and ethically is it wrong? Sure, but like its been said, the paper trail is whats going to matter most when push comes to shove.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. "What kind of a place keeps charging someone who no longer attends, regardless of the contract?" A gym. (or a cell phone carrier ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

In the billing systems I'm thinking of -- it's simply the time required for the business to notify the billing service, and the billing service to put the stop into effect. No maliciousness... just how it works.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Due to topic drift, some posts have been split off to their own thread, which may be found here.

Mark Cochran
MT Moderator

Latest Discussions