Best/Worst New School visit

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My best experience was in 1973 when I walked into Rod Martin's Karate Studio in Mt. View California. Very friendly, family atmosphere. They really took the time to explain things. They had a 5-lesson introductory course for $20 to let me get a taste. I was hooked for the next 22 years until the school closed.

Another really positive experiences were with John Sepulveda's Santa Clara Kenpo in 1998. Mr. Sepulveda was acquainted with me and he really made me feel welcome.

My best welcome in the last few years was when I walked into Ralph Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Mountain View in 2002. The instructor was very friendly and took time to explain the program. Other students were very friendly and sat down to talk with me, explain things, and ask about ME. Really a great atmosphere. http://www.ralphgracie.com/ The workout was very intense, the training hard, the camaraderie genuine, and the instruction enlightening. I was hooked.

One more good expereince was at Cung Le's school in Santa Clara. Friendly people who took the time to explain everything with no BS. http://www.cungle.com/cungle/index.html

My WORST experience was at Los Altos Karate about the same time. http://www.losaltoskarate.com/ One of the three owners had just split with half the students to start his own school http://www.prodigykarate.com/ a couple miles away. The atmosphere at Los Altos Karate that day was funereal. They had brought in a new instructor who led some drills without explaining anything about the correct way to do movements and without correcting any of the students. There were only a few students in the class and they were performing way below belt level. One of the other instructors did his best to explain and correct the students and he was polite to me. I met with one of the remaining owners to talk about their program he was not very friendly and didn't really tell me much. The pricing was outrageous. The most expensive school I've ever found -- even more expensive than training BJJ with a Gracie or with MMA celebrities. In their defense, it was a bad day for them. And I do know someone who has family who train there and they are happy. But I was really disappointed in my visit.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess my best first time experience was after I had moved to San Francisco in search of a Capoeira teacher. I had already had a very bad experience with another instructor, so was a bit gun-shy about joining up with the next school. I took my time and visited several places, and tried a class or two. Then, I checked out the school that I ultimately joined. I saw capoeira done at a very high level, and with a lot of enthusiasm. I tried a couple intro classes, and was hooked. I told the instructor that I was still trying to find a job, and had very little money at that time, but I really wanted to join. She told me I could post flyers to advertise the school, and that would be good enough for now. That arrangement lasted for about 4 or 5 months until my employment situation solidified and I was able to pay tuition. Needless to say, I was very grateful and trained like a fiend at that place.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Worst experience was going to a dojo that taught a certain form of Okinawan Karate. I went there to watch a couple of classes, and classes were supposed to go from 10-11 AM and then 11 AM to 12 PM.

I got there pretty late, about 1030 AM, and saw that everyone on the floor was relaxed, practicing a few techniques here and there. Some were even having some light-hearted chatter on the floor. Some were dressed in the full gi, others only wore gi pants and a t-shirt, along with their belts. I figured that this must be a break for everyone during class, and was wondering how hard they were being pushed.

When the clock hit 1040 AM, the instructor then yells "yame!" and has everyone line up in one line. He gives the command to bow, and everyone bows. I figure that they're about to do something in earnest. To my surprise, they then all left the training floor to take another break between classes. I asked one of the spectating parents if this is typical, and she said "yes." Strike one.

They did a kobudo class at 11 AM, doing some sword / bokken work. After they did a few drills, the instructor then shows them the kata he's been working on, in its "original, unadulterated form." He starts performing the kata, showing some sloppy sword handling. About halfway through, he performs a jumping, spinning hook kick, to the delight of the students and some of the spectators. Now, I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not a sword master, or whatever title is needed to convey such a rank, but it doesn't take a master to know that someone who supposedly practices an Okinawan sword kata and tosses in a jumping spinning hook kick, while claiming that this was the "original, unadulterated form," is full of humus. Worse still, was seeing many kids trying this move while holding their bokken. Strike two.

After the class, I spoke with the instructor (a younger fellow, about in his late teens / early 20's) and asked him about the specifics regarding the system. He had given a few good answers, and a few garbage answers, until his cell phone rang, and he picked it up and started talking. After about 1 minute, he said "sorry, man, but I gotta go. The girlfriend is waiting. We can talk about this next week, if you want!" Strike three.

In all honesty? I was giving it my darndest when it came to tolerance. After all, different styles teach different things, and different people also teach differently, but even that's not enough when something simply sinks way below my minimum level of tolerance.

Best experience:

This happened well before the above incident. I knew that a friend of mine was training at one of the local dojos, and I asked him about it, and he simply said to come on down and take some classes if I wanted. So, I did, going there to train in Karate. I enjoyed watching the classes being run in an efficient manner, by a knowledgeable instructor, and the students showing good intensity.

The trial class I took was certainly enjoyable, and brought back the fire for the martial arts that I thought had been previously extinguished. After I spoke with the instructor (who was very patient, friendly, and answered all of my questions in a knowlegeable manner, except for one, where he immediately admitted he couldn't answer), I signed a contract, and joined the dojo, and walked out of there with a smile.

That smile turned into an even broader grin when I found out that they also taught Jiu-Jitsu there as well, and that they encouraged people to cross-train in both styles. It took a bit of courage to try it, but the instructor allowed me to try out Jiu-Jitsu as well.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Best Experience:

Hmmm I would say doing a seminar after a affiliated school. Uncle was teaching as he usually does but on this day he seemed a little odd. There were a lot of LEO's there learning disarms, pins and the like and they were kinda talking and bsing some. Uncle let it go for a bit...but got a little pissed about halfway thru the seminar when we started doing some non-application work and a couple of the LEO's were there not participating. Uncle asked them why they paid money for something didn't want to do. They responded with if I cant use it on the street, I dont want to waste my time. At this point Uncle sat next to the guy and conceded the idea to the LEO. Not only did this guy kinda take a double take but he was now interested for the reason...Uncle didn't give a reason... We continued with the seminar as usual and about 15 minutes later the two LEO's were participating now. After that I asked them what changed their minds to join in. One of the guys just said...Well that guy was right, but after seeing this man accept me for what I was..I just couldn't believe how arrogant of a statement I said to this man.

It really made me think about all those times I thought stuff wasn't useful..but somethings the things we don't acknowledge are the most important. Pretty powerful stuff...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best and worst new school visits huh? OK lets start out positive, best was by far when I walked into the dojo ran by John Poliquin in Presque Isle, Maine! Everybody was like family, John was so darn good it was scary, his brown belt assistant instructors were better than 90% of black belts I had trained under before, and there was ZERO pressure to join right then and there. In fact, he didn't even mention actually paying for a class (even though I asked) until the third or fourth one and I was confident that it was a school I wanted to join.

Worst, was in Battle Creek, MI. Will not name names, or addresses, but Lordy was that instructor lame(5th degree BB was stated, but highly doubt it). I had to pay for the first 2 months up-front, buy the equipment, buy a dobok (spelling?), and then get to actually join in on a class. The third class he sets up a "senierio" and called me out so he could show the rest of the class what to do. Well, my roll was to throw a punch at his head and he would show the move. I threw a slow roundhouse haymaker type (I mean that is what everybody else had done the other classes) and he came unglued on me! Started ranting and raving about really throwing a punch and his time was valuable, blah, blah, blah and then instructed me to throw a punch like I would in a bar fight and not some sissy type. I asked if he really meant that (won't get into the answer) then bowed, set, and promptly knocked him on his posterior (thought I might have broken my hand on his nose.) I walked out and tossed all my stuff in the dumpster beside the building.

I rather fondly recall all the positive experences over the years at different traing facilities and different styles, and try to let the negative things slide out of the memory, but still like to laugh about that one.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bydand said:
Best and worst new school visits huh? OK lets start out positive, best was by far when I walked into the dojo ran by John Poliquin in Presque Isle, Maine! Everybody was like family, John was so darn good it was scary, his brown belt assistant instructors were better than 90% of black belts I had trained under before, and there was ZERO pressure to join right then and there. In fact, he didn't even mention actually paying for a class (even though I asked) until the third or fourth one and I was confident that it was a school I wanted to join.

Worst, was in Battle Creek, MI. Will not name names, or addresses, but Lordy was that instructor lame(5th degree BB was stated, but highly doubt it). I had to pay for the first 2 months up-front, buy the equipment, buy a dobok (spelling?), and then get to actually join in on a class. The third class he sets up a "senierio" and called me out so he could show the rest of the class what to do. Well, my roll was to throw a punch at his head and he would show the move. I threw a slow roundhouse haymaker type (I mean that is what everybody else had done the other classes) and he came unglued on me! Started ranting and raving about really throwing a punch and his time was valuable, blah, blah, blah and then instructed me to throw a punch like I would in a bar fight and not some sissy type. I asked if he really meant that (won't get into the answer) then bowed, set, and promptly knocked him on his posterior (thought I might have broken my hand on his nose.) I walked out and tossed all my stuff in the dumpster beside the building.

I rather fondly recall all the positive experences over the years at different traing facilities and different styles, and try to let the negative things slide out of the memory, but still like to laugh about that one.

Wow, that was a bad experience! I'm glad you'd rather focus on the good, tho.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way I look at it is this; for every bad experence you find, there are going to be at least 100 good experences at the school that fits you best. Why someone would let that one tiny anomoly ruin an otherwise perfect past-time/sport/training/etc... (whatever you do the MA's for), is beyond me.

Also I think I have to change the best new school visit now. Last night I went over to my brothers new dojo to begin training with him now that I am back in Maine, and WOW!! Yes he is my brother, but when it comes to doing the art I love, I am very narrow when it comes to instructors and schools. I have to say he ran one of the best classes I have EVER been in and even though I knew he was a great guy, I had NO idea that he was such a great instructor. His class size is small yet, but the energy level is high and the time just flew by. Everybody is so nice and even though they all take the art seriously, it is alot of fun in there. Though it pains me to actually say it, Little Brother impressed me last night. When he bought the little junk store to turn into a dojo, I admit I thought he had lost his mind, but now when you walk through the doors there is such a warm welcoming feeling that the first thought is "Yeah, I can train and learn here!"

So Kudos to the Tai-Gi-Shin Dojo in Caribou, ME.

Latest Discussions