how many of you have gotten into a street fight?

OP
M

Master of Blades

I'm not that blind so I tend not to train with my glasses on. I dont wear them all the time anyway!:asian:

OP
J

JDenz

I can't think of any serious street fight that I was in or saw that really went on for more then a couple punches really.

OP
J

J-kid

Ive come close alot of times , I mean to the brenk of a whole lot of people fighting at once, Almost fought good 4-5 people but they backed down. I havent been in any real street fights for some time. But i have been doing alot of NHB matchs with people around my neighbor hood.

OP
J

JDenz

I think they are only counting street fights. And don't fight in the streets, you are giving MMA a bad name. The politicians always bring up what you are doing everytime MMA becomes close to being legal

OP
J

J-kid

I see plenty of fights, High school and off high school. I have seen a fight that ended up in barb wire and that was cool, to watch any how. Its not like i could have broken it up both sides had alot of friends watching make sure it was fair. saw a fight this guys where infront of Mc.Dz and started punching each other one got one into a head lock and punched other guy right in the mouth , Can you say full dentist bill all his front teath and alot of back ones went flying out of his mouth some went into his gums and was blood all over. Those are just 2 of the newer fights.

OP
R

Rob Wilson

I have used my training once in a very bad situation that fortunately did not get too much worse. ( I posted this story on a different forum so I will make this brief..)

I interrupted a situation where two men were assaulting an elderly couple in a car. The men had smashed in a window and the woman was badly cut around her eyes and the man was in a state of shock. The assailants were particularly violent verbally and physically, and when I intervened they immediately came after me. I evaded their attack and fortunately another motorist stopped to help. Upon seeing the stakes change one of the assailants turned turtle and the other fled. I chose to pursue him on foot- I chased him for about two blocks whereupon he turned and attacked with an overhand right. I slipped the blow and swept out his feet. He hit the deck hard and I dropped in behind for a reverse choke but was stupidly concerned about hurting him too badly, so I switched him onto his back and into a forearm throat choke. He was on his back and clawed for my eyes but these were only more opportunities to lock him down. Now, I am not trying to sound tough or macho because normally I am not a calm person in situations like this- my legs shake and my mouth gets that bad taste in it- but I was very calm and took his attacks as problems to be solved. Also, I am not a grappler. I like sticks and knives but I also practice dumog and mano-mano. I subdued him quickly- lack of air to his lungs and blood to his brain ended the fight . I then flipped him over into an armbar and waited for the police, who showed up a few minutes later. The officer originally thought I was the bad guy but that confusion was quickly straightened out.

In any event, I was very calm and focused and I am not sure why. This is the only circumstance in which I have been forced to use my training and I am very glad that there were no weapons involved, because things could have gotten way out of hand. I was not hurt at all and feel quite lucky, but my trainers and instructors have my gratitude, also the men and women of the philippines to whose legacy belongs the art I study.

Anyway, thank you for listening and I hope this story serves some purpose.

Rob Wilson

OP
J

J-kid

JDenz was that adressed to me that last comment.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been in a few street fights nothing I care to really get into. Lets just say that liveing in an area where drugs and crime where the major industry you watched your back alot. Most people in these areas do not pick on those that live there it is the outsiders that come through that you worry about.
Being in the wrong bar can also be detramental to ones health or the health of the drunk that swings at you.
I now live in a low key back woods area and the wanna be tuff guys in this area have no clue what true street violence is.
Shadow:asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

I've gotten in my share of street fights, but any person who has gotten into one does not support it.

The human body is very fragile and has ability to seriously harm someone.

Ghost

White Belt
Reaction score
I have gotten into street fights and killed many people but thanks to my superior fighting skills i have always won

OP
S

SteelShadow

I have had my share of them i worked as a security manager for a major department store.and you would be surprised at how hard a thief will fight to get away.I also was a bail enforcement agent for a few yrs .There was some pretty hairy times in that.Ive been shot and stabbed on more than one instance but thanks to martial arts and the grace of god.Im still here and no worse for wear.But its my oppion noone wins a fight. Even if you win the fight you dont WIN the fight theres to much negativity involved for it to be good for the spirit even tho at times it is unavoidable.just my 2cents worth

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is not unusual in my school for students to lose their contacts when punched in the head/face, they also lose them with accidental rakes with uniforms, sparring gear (real common to have the tip of a boot or handgear catch a contact), etc. We also fight without uniforms as they are not required sparring. When grappling you catch an accidental finger in the eye, or some other body part.

If you wear glasses you are required to take them off for sparring. I don't want to risk damage to the eyes, but also, that may be the first thing that goes in a fight. Might as well get used to it now. Some problems, but adjustments are made fairly quickly. Protective eye gear is allowed, but few avail themselves of it unless we are working knife sparring.

Re: the thread topic - the answer is yes, but not proud of it.

-Michael

OP
J

Jill666

I've been in a couple of fights- once another woman shoved a very petite friend of mine from out of town, so I dealt with it quickly & moved on. Unfortunately we were all drunk. Another time was my fault, I went out of my way to pick a fight and got one. This was before I began training.:cuss:

Now when I'm really P$ssed I'm more assertive and less abrasive. People tend to back down and the situation resolves more easily. Sound familiar?

Re: Contacts- I wear soft lenses and suffered no problems whatsoever- even being socked in the eye. Also, peripheral vision isn't impaired the way it is when I wear glasses.:erg:

Jill

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Been in a couple of dozen. Honest, I did not start any of it. I hung out with people of questionable communication skills, years back, and went places I shouldn't have. I wised up before my luck ran out. Some altercations were after I started training. If you practice with focus and conviction, the moves start flowing and you go on autopilot when assaulted. I typically had to regroup and actually think about the series of events afterward in order to evaluate what I had done! It's kind of like the movie "Being John Malkovich" when you enter that mental state. You are a spectator and your subconcious mind/reflexes push you into the backseat while they drive. I liken it to the closest definition of splitting in two that I could possibly relate to. Yes my training worked. It also made me more aware of the fine line between self defense and homicide. I stay away from the "evil hillbilly" haunts that I grew up around now. Don't want my son to send me postcards in care of the joint because I collapsed Gomers carotid. The people where I grew up don't film their family reunions, they just watch the next upcoming episode of "Cops" and hit record on the vcr. Saves money on a video camera and comes in handy for bail.

Now, I don't wear glasses, but I can give a good reason for wearing contacts. Had two guys set me up for an ambush that I knew from high school. The one in my left peripheral stepped in on my circle and I struck first with a stiff right hand. His partner lost his nerve after he saw what happened. We exchanged words as he picked up his friend from the floor and proceeded to help him pull the wire rim frames he was wearing out of the flesh of his cheek and brow around his left eye. I left recognizing my luck. To this day, over twenty years later, he thinks of me when looking in the mirror and shaving. The punch had to hurt and the rims sliced into him like he was a cooked ham. Those glasses he was wearing may have saved me from a severe beating. I feed the birds and garden now. The Do Jang is all I need for excitement.

MT Person, I think you showed great control of your faculties/adrenaline rush. You were wise in leaving quickly. I would definitely feel better with you on my side than staring me down!

Best of luck,
white belt

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson
how many of u MAist have recently or at all got into a street fight??im talking about during u being a MAist, not before. its totally different from sparring and tons more damage is done. gloves are only a burden to self defense.

i recently got into a fight(even with my messed up elbow). im not a violent person but this guy was twice my size. i was nervous, and that nervousness cauased me to accidentally break someones tooth and crack their jaw.

wat happend is school was just out and i was walking to jack in the box. 3 guys were hanging around, and when i walked in, they were talking sh** to me. i just ignored them. when i came out, there all like "yo gimme your money", i tried to walk away but i was surrounded. they grabbed me adn i pushed one away and almost got out of the corner. but one grabbed me and threw me to the floor. he came foward and i quickly got up and he punched me. my glasses were broken are being fixed now. so i pushed kicked him and jumped knee his face. i was stunned then so i just hit him twice and ran. i was running 3blocks before i figured out what happend.

so how many of u got into street fights and found the difference between the envionments?
It's almost a street fight, but in reality, that was nowhere near the caliber of a real streetfight. A school brawl.

A street fight is much worse, and it's usually fought in dangerous environments/conditions, and yes, I've been in my share of them. Not a pretty sight.

OP
N

Nyoongar

I've only been in one that you could classify a street fight. Some dude tried to smash a brick on my head at a trainstation. Luckily, the 2 lessons of Ninjukai Taijutsu I took taught me how to close the gap and grab his arm. He was pretty drunk, so I gave him an uppercut and walked off. I 've oftened wondered what would have happened if I'd missed his arm though.

OP
G

GouRonin

...is how many of you have NEVER been in a fight? Street or otherwise?

Latest Discussions