How many and differances in Shaolin Kempo

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To cover most of what this thread goes over, I can give a little more indepth view.
I personally know Master Russell Clegg, being an instructor. I train with him every week. He's a great martial artist, a funny guy, and at the same time a very demanding, businiessminded ... employer. I like him as a man, but I don't like his business strategy and policies. I also am not fond of the way he conducts the instructor lessons. As I put it in my introduction post, it's basically a "here, catch!" method. He tosses certain techinques and the like at you, from four or five different angles, assuming that you already know it, *because* you're an instructor. You must know it! He trains all instructors as black belts, regarldess of raink, but that's how it goes through all of USSD from what I gather.

As for the animal tests, they are, in a way, another way for United Studios to make money. But at the same time they are a great opportunity to get to know yourself and your own abilities and limits.
The Tiger Test - $50 - tests your endurance and tenacity. It pushes your body to its physical limits, but at the same time is a very mental test.
The Crane Test - $50 - tests your balance and agility.
The Snake Test - $50 - is more a clinic where you learn more about chi and meditation as well as accurate, pinpoint strikes and fluid movements.
The Leopard Test - $75 - is the longest test of all of them (aside from the Dragon). At the beginning of the test, at least at mine, here in Utah, Master Clegg tought us a leopard defensive technique (a kempo technique), and we practiced it on eachother. To this day it's one of my favorite techniques. Afterward we went to the Provo CLAS rope course, where we spent about five hours. This test for me, was a very mental test, being that I'm terrified of heights. And there were a lot of heights involved.
The Dragon Test - $500 (yes, that's right) - is a super-secret test that you can only take after you've taken all four of the other tests. You're given a period of six weeks in which to complete the test. The only thing I know about it is that part of the test involves becoming certified in CPR.

If you have any more questions about USSD, feel free to ask away. I'll try to answer what I can, at least based on what I know from my own instructor and dojo and Master Clegg.

How much is the IQ test?

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Time between ranks is not a big deal to me, as long as I'm learning quality martial arts.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that ussd's former student numbers are probably higher than their current students numbers. But I can't complain they did get me into martial arts.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, return to the original topic.

-Mike Slosek
-MT Super Moderator-

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shaolin Kempo Karate is the system started by GM Fred Villari, who was a student of Nick Cerio, who was a student of George Pesare, who was a student of Sonny Gascon, who I think but could be wrong was a student of Adriano Emperado, who was a student of Prof. William Chow.
Shaolin Kenpo is the system started by Ralph Castro who was a student of Prof. William Chow, so the two systems are kind of like distant cousins.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shaolin Kempo Karate is the system started by GM Fred Villari, who was a student of Nick Cerio, who was a student of George Pesare, who was a student of Sonny Gascon, who I think but could be wrong was a student of Adriano Emperado, who was a student of Prof. William Chow.
Shaolin Kenpo is the system started by Ralph Castro who was a student of Prof. William Chow, so the two systems are kind of like distant cousins.

Yes they are...plus, Ralph Castro's guys are really nice and they do have some of the same forms as Fred Villari's SKK because of the obvious Kenpo link.

Mei Hua

Orange Belt
Reaction score
OK, this is a long thread and haven't read every post on it, far from it in fact;),

I train/teach primarily Bei Shaolin Honan Meihuazhuang, as well as doing MMA, but our beginning sections are Shaolin Kenpo(Chuan Po) which we teach to those who are in need of some basic skills. There are more varities of Shaolin Kenpo/Kempo than what were listed in the OP, so...

*Mine descend through the Shaolin Su Chuan Fa(Quick Fist Method) Branch of Shaolin Plum-Blossom*

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Well, as near as I can tell, Sonny Gascon only trained Pesare for a couple of months (according to Gascon's comments on a dvd interview, Pesare was a purple belt when he left him after 2 1/2 months) Pesare took 4 forms and 10 combinations and went to Rhode Island and started teaching since there was no Kempo there. He later got black belts in TKD and Judo adn incorporated it into his Kempo stuff. He taught Cerio to black belt who added a lot of things including stuff from Mas Oyama's book. Cerio taught Villari to 2nd degree black belt. Villari left and started his own thing and took Blue Belt Mattera with him. Cerio later changed his entire system and called it Nick Cerio's Kempo and it had little resemblance to what he'd taught Villari anymore.

Ralph Castro was a student of Chow and then Parker and then started his own thing.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for filling in gaps. I always thought that SKK was the same as NCK up to 2nd dan.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for filling in gaps. I always thought that SKK was the same as NCK up to 2nd dan.

NCK teaches these forms called cats. SKK doesn't each those. also, they don't teach circle of the leopard in skk whereas they do in nck.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
NCK teaches these forms called cats. SKK doesn't each those. also, they don't teach circle of the leopard in skk whereas they do in nck.

I know some of the cat forms - they are similiar to the SKK pinions. at least i know one of them is similiar to pinion 3. which is a take off of Heiaen (sp) Nidan.
In Peace
Jesse

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know some of the cat forms - they are similiar to the SKK pinions. at least i know one of them is similiar to pinion 3. which is a take off of Heiaen (sp) Nidan.
In Peace
Jesse

I've never seen the cats before, so I'll take your word for it. I know Circle of the Leopard though...